* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
       [not found] <b4b3abf8-d7db-7037-a589-38c9563f078c@digiware.nl>
@ 2017-12-31  5:30 ` kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2017-12-31  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen, The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

+ ceph-devl

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> Hi Kefu,
>
> In FreeBSD the portmanager of Boost wants to move to 1.66, and so normally
> they do a test run on all 33.000 ports to see what breaks.
>
> Now one of the things that breaks is Ceph, but i a way I do not
> understand...
>
> When linking ceph-common references to the /usr/local/lib/libboost_*.so
> files on Boost 1.65 are now replaced by -lBoost::thread invocations 1.66??

could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library name. but I
don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
command line,
something is wrong.

--
Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-01 11:13   ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2018-01-01 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai, The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On 31/12/2017 06:30, kefu chai wrote:
> + ceph-devl
>
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Kefu,
>>
>> In FreeBSD the portmanager of Boost wants to move to 1.66, and so normally
>> they do a test run on all 33.000 ports to see what breaks.
>>
>> Now one of the things that breaks is Ceph, but i a way I do not
>> understand...
>>
>> When linking ceph-common references to the /usr/local/lib/libboost_*.so
>> files on Boost 1.65 are now replaced by -lBoost::thread invocations 1.66??
>
> could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library name. but I
> don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
> command line,
> something is wrong.

It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run in
sync with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD ports is
at 12.2.2, and in preparation on the 1.66 Boost release it builds
without Beast by execluding WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND.

Which will be switched back on once the 1.66 Beast works with v12.2.2.

--WjW

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-01 12:13     ` kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2018-01-01 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> On 31/12/2017 06:30, kefu chai wrote:
>>
>> + ceph-devl
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kefu,
>>>
>>> In FreeBSD the portmanager of Boost wants to move to 1.66, and so
>>> normally
>>> they do a test run on all 33.000 ports to see what breaks.
>>>
>>> Now one of the things that breaks is Ceph, but i a way I do not
>>> understand...
>>>
>>> When linking ceph-common references to the /usr/local/lib/libboost_*.so
>>> files on Boost 1.65 are now replaced by -lBoost::thread invocations
>>> 1.66??
>>

>> could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library name.
>> but I
>> don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
>> command line,
>> something is wrong.
>

> It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run in sync
> with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD ports is at

i don't really follow. guess what you mean is that: it's back to normal..

--
Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-01 17:07       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2018-01-01 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai; +Cc: The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On 01/01/2018 13:13, kefu chai wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>> On 31/12/2017 06:30, kefu chai wrote:
>>>
>>> + ceph-devl

>>> could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library name.
>>> but I
>>> don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
>>> command line,
>>> something is wrong.
>>

>> It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run in sync
>> with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD ports is at
>
> i don't really follow. guess what you mean is that: it's back to normal..

Sorry to be cryptic ..
But yes, back to normal.

--WjW

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-02 16:13     ` Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2018-01-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen, kefu chai,
	The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On 01/01/2018 06:13 AM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 31/12/2017 06:30, kefu chai wrote:
>> + ceph-devl
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Willem Jan Withagen
>> <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>>> Hi Kefu,
>>>
>>> In FreeBSD the portmanager of Boost wants to move to 1.66, and so
>>> normally
>>> they do a test run on all 33.000 ports to see what breaks.
>>>
>>> Now one of the things that breaks is Ceph, but i a way I do not
>>> understand...
>>>
>>> When linking ceph-common references to the /usr/local/lib/libboost_*.so
>>> files on Boost 1.65 are now replaced by -lBoost::thread invocations
>>> 1.66??
>>
>> could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library
>> name. but I
>> don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
>> command line,
>> something is wrong.
>
> It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run
> in sync with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD
> ports is at 12.2.2, and in preparation on the 1.66 Boost release it
> builds without Beast by execluding WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND.
>
> Which will be switched back on once the 1.66 Beast works with v12.2.2.

Okay, thanks. The rgw/beast changes for boost 1.66 are staged in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19054. If there are delays in merging
that, I'm happy to pull them into a separate pr. And thanks for pointing
out that we'll need to backport those pieces for luminous.

> --WjW

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-02 17:11       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2018-01-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Bodley, kefu chai, The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On 2-1-2018 17:13, Casey Bodley wrote:

> On 01/01/2018 06:13 AM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> On 31/12/2017 06:30, kefu chai wrote:
>>> + ceph-devl

>>> could you pastebin the error message? Boost::thread is the library
>>> name. but I
>>> don't think it can be passed to the linker. if you see this in the
>>> command line,
>>> something is wrong.
>>
>> It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run
>> in sync with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD
>> ports is at 12.2.2, and in preparation on the 1.66 Boost release it
>> builds without Beast by execluding WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND.
>>
>> Which will be switched back on once the 1.66 Beast works with v12.2.2.
>>

> Okay, thanks. The rgw/beast changes for boost 1.66 are staged in
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19054. If there are delays in merging
> that, I'm happy to pull them into a separate pr. And thanks for pointing
> out that we'll need to backport those pieces for luminous.

Right,

If that/backporting is possible, then I can switch Beast back on for
Luminous. And everything comes back into sync...

The WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND switch made it very convenient to let
FreeBSD (prepare to) move to 1.66 without Ceph package building being
disabled. And now everybody can do "its thing(tm)" without blocking
dependencies.

When I have a bit more time and #19054 is not merged by then, I'll take
a stab at it.

Thanx,
--WjW

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-08 22:15         ` Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2018-01-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen, kefu chai,

On 01/02/2018 12:11 PM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 2-1-2018 17:13, Casey Bodley wrote:

>>> It was the now traditional problem that a CMake upgrade does not run
>>> in sync with Boost upgrades. Took quite some runs, but now FreeBSD
>>> ports is at 12.2.2, and in preparation on the 1.66 Boost release it
>>> builds without Beast by execluding WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND.
>>>
>>> Which will be switched back on once the 1.66 Beast works with v12.2.2.
>>>
>> Okay, thanks. The rgw/beast changes for boost 1.66 are staged in
>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19054. If there are delays in merging
>> that, I'm happy to pull them into a separate pr. And thanks for pointing
>> out that we'll need to backport those pieces for luminous.
> Right,
>
> If that/backporting is possible, then I can switch Beast back on for
> Luminous. And everything comes back into sync...
>
> The WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND switch made it very convenient to let
> FreeBSD (prepare to) move to 1.66 without Ceph package building being
> disabled. And now everybody can do "its thing(tm)" without blocking
> dependencies.
>
> When I have a bit more time and #19054 is not merged by then, I'll take
> a stab at it.
>
> Thanx,
> --WjW

The boost 1.66 changes merged into master. I've prepared a backport for
luminous at https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19848 which pulls in all
the extra beast frontend stuff that targets v1.66.

* Re: Moving to 1.66 Boost
@ 2018-01-10  9:06           ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2018-01-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Bodley, kefu chai, The Esoteric Order of the Squid Cybernetic

On 08/01/2018 23:15, Casey Bodley wrote:

> On 01/02/2018 12:11 PM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>>> Okay, thanks. The rgw/beast changes for boost 1.66 are staged in
>>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19054. If there are delays in merging
>>> that, I'm happy to pull them into a separate pr. And thanks for pointing
>>> out that we'll need to backport those pieces for luminous.
>> Right,
>>
>> If that/backporting is possible, then I can switch Beast back on for
>> Luminous. And everything comes back into sync...
>>
>> The WITH_RADOSGW_BEAST_FRONTEND switch made it very convenient to let
>> FreeBSD (prepare to) move to 1.66 without Ceph package building being
>> disabled. And now everybody can do "its thing(tm)" without blocking
>> dependencies.
>>
>> When I have a bit more time and #19054 is not merged by then, I'll take
>> a stab at it.

> The boost 1.66 changes merged into master. I've prepared a backport for
> luminous at https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/19848 which pulls in all
> the extra beast frontend stuff that targets v1.66.

I'll have to set up a seperate luminous tester, and will give this
backport a testrun.
Is there any new release date planned for a new Luminous release?

--WjW