* [Bluez-devel] Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13  1:56 Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-13  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi there.  I'm posting this to the -devel list, as I think this has
more to do with the current state of the software, rather than how I'm
using it.

I just got my gentoo box working with the newest bluez package (3.9)
and it works wonderfully for scanning bluetooth devices and whatnot.
However, I also own an a2dp headset (BlueSpoon Spider) that I am
aching to use around my house while doing chores, and not bug family
members.

Now, I went and did what your page suggested first off: I downloaded
the CVS for the source of plugz. I then went about compiling it,
getting a2dpd running, getting my bdaddr right and everything. Then i
went about trying to get it to play back.  Your reports said "xmms
works" so i ofcourse tried xmms.  What happened, that bugged me for
the longest time was it would just sit, at 0:00 like its trying to
open the sound device, a2dpd shows no connection info or anything.

So, i went on about my day reading more list archives.

After a while, i decided to try mplayer, vlc, and even audacious.  Of
the 4, only vlc and mplayer worked at all (produced any connection to
a2dpd whatsoever) but i noticed a somewhat random pausing of the sound
into my headset.  The bluetooth dongle i have, a Belkin F8T001v2 will
normally show full-time blue light for sending, but during the
interrupted sound, the blue light went to blink a few times, then
continued full blue when i heard sound again.
This puzzled me to no end, because I had been reading reports of
success with similar CSR dongles and xmms with the alsa a2dpd pcm
plugin.

Then i read that there was a newer plugin, a2dpd2.  So i edited my
.asoundrc to that, and tried all 4 again, to much different results,
in every respect.
All 4 now caused a2dpd to connect and start transferring audio. Then,
a2dpd disconnected, tried to reconnect, disconnected, connected
reconnected without disconnecting ... needless to say it was worse
than even when the audio paused every few seconds.

Finally, I decided to try the 'last known fallback that should work
fine', btsco-0.5 from sf.net.
I had read someone mention that audio would sometimes jitter because
of the nvidia closed source video drivers, and as I am using that
driver, i feared the worst. But, to my surprise, a2play was completely
successful at sending uninterrupted sound to my headset for an entire
4 minute song!  I also edited a2play.c to edit the bitpool from 32
(sounds craptacular) to 53 (sounds perfect with my input, no pops, no
clicks no overamping nothing).

What do you think is happening with plugz / alsa plugins that cause
the errors I have listed?
Do you need any sort of logs from hcidump when the a2dpd2 plugin
causes disconnects?

Also, one thing I have noticed about my headset: The avrcp controls
seem to be sent twice when I press the joystick buttons. Hitting the
playpause button exactly 2 times produces:

A2DPD[218.721]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_play
A2DPD[218.827]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_play
A2DPD[219.215]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_pause
A2DPD[219.300]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_pause

However, stopping the playback (ctrl-c on say, mplayer) only causes
the headset to emit 1 avrcp_stop command.

The info for this device is:

hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:0A:3A:59:90:77 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
        RX bytes:636236 acl:135 sco:0 events:90176 errors:0
        TX bytes:22854468 acl:131804 sco:0 commands:69 errors:0
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
        Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
        Link policy: HOLD SNIFF PARK
        Link mode: ACCEPT MASTER
        Name: 'thor'
        Class: 0x3e0104
        Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing, Object
Transfer, Audio
        Device Class: Computer, Desktop workstation
        HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x33c LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x33c
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

Headset info:

        BD Address:  00:14:CF:03:37:DC
        Device Name: Bluespoon SPIDER
        LMP Version: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subversion: 0xbf1
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
                <3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
                <park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
                <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging scheme>
                <power control> <transparent SCO> <broadcast encrypt>
                <inquiry with RSSI> <AFH cap. slave> <AFH class. slave>
                <AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <extended features>

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13  4:03 ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-13  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Mike

> Finally, I decided to try the 'last known fallback that should work
> fine', btsco-0.5 from sf.net.
> I had read someone mention that audio would sometimes jitter because
> of the nvidia closed source video drivers, and as I am using that
> driver, i feared the worst. But, to my surprise, a2play was completely
> successful at sending uninterrupted sound to my headset for an entire
> 4 minute song!  I also edited a2play.c to edit the bitpool from 32
> (sounds craptacular) to 53 (sounds perfect with my input, no pops, no
> clicks no overamping nothing).

hmm. maybe you should also try the a2dp plugin from btsco-0.5. that was
before some pretty massive changes. We should have been tagging plugz
but I haven't known when to tag it.

> What do you think is happening with plugz / alsa plugins that cause
> the errors I have listed?
> Do you need any sort of logs from hcidump when the a2dpd2 plugin
> causes disconnects?

I'm not sure on hcidump logs, but one thing that causes similar problems
with my spider set is having my cellphone on. The spider is connected to
both the computer and the cellphone, so it wants to be the master
device. The computer also typically wants to be master and if you have a
smartphone it will too. The result is a big scatternet (possibly with
roles switching around) and extremely poor quality of delivery.

> Also, one thing I have noticed about my headset: The avrcp controls
> seem to be sent twice when I press the joystick buttons. Hitting the
> playpause button exactly 2 times produces:
>
> A2DPD[218.721]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_play
> A2DPD[218.827]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_play
> A2DPD[219.215]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_pause
> A2DPD[219.300]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_pause
>
> However, stopping the playback (ctrl-c on say, mplayer) only causes
> the headset to emit 1 avrcp_stop command.

it's possible we somehow have the outbound and inbound avrcp connections
going simultaneously. also, in early avrcp testing I remember seeing
doubled-up messages from some sets that were subtly different and I
thought I had added code to throw out the fake message.

brad

* [Bluez-devel] RE : Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13  8:09 ` Frederic Dalleau
From: Frederic Dalleau @ 2007-02-13  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi, thank you for reports.

When did you do all that? Latest submit was last friday.

> i ofcourse tried xmms.
Which version? Can you try 1.2.10?

> After a while, i decided to try mplayer, vlc, and even audacious.
Which version? Can you try 1.0rc1?

> Then i read that there was a newer plugin, a2dpd2.
Should be broken I will remove it.

> btsco-0.5 from sf.net.
Should work well, but would be better fix plugz a2dpd.

> What do you think is happening with plugz / alsa plugins that cause
> the errors I have listed?
Bad luck!

> Also, one thing I have noticed about my headset: The avrcp controls
> seem to be sent twice when I press the joystick buttons. Hitting the
Press and release.

> However, stopping the playback (ctrl-c on say, mplayer) only causes
> the headset to emit 1 avrcp_stop command.
The headset should not send command if you stop from the computer. is it avrcp_stop or AVDTP_STOP?

> Do you need any sort of logs from hcidump when the a2dpd2 plugin
> causes disconnects?
set your plugin as this :
pcm.a2dpd {
type a2dpd
debug 1
}
Then give us full player log, and a2dpd log. Use plugz latest cvs.

Thank you,
Frédéric.

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 3456 bytes --]

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13  8:24   ` Mitja Pufic
From: Mitja Pufic @ 2007-02-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development; +Cc: Brad Midgley

Hello Brad,

somehow my mails to the list bounce from this week on. Well I have the
best experience with plugz from 2007-01-26 to 2007-01-29. I use it with SE
HBH-DS970 and i.Tech Clip R35 without a problem in vlc and amarok. With
xmms there are still problems with both headsets, the sound is really
speedy when mmap is on, if I disable it, the speed is fine, but then it
sound chopps on every 20 to 25 seconds. The results are the same with
CSR BC4-external based Toshiba and Level 1 and with both Broadcom based
dongles I have lying around, Anycom USB-250 and Belkin F8T013. I was
runing this on Centrino 1500 Laptop, Pentium 4HT workstation and on 64 bit
Opteron 252 SMP.

With latest plugz I get louder sound, compared to plugz from end of
January but it chopps constantly.

br,
Mitja

@ 2007-02-13  9:06   ` Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/13/07, Brad Midgley <bmidgley@xmission.com> wrote:
> Mike
> hmm. maybe you should also try the a2dp plugin from btsco-0.5. that was
> before some pretty massive changes. We should have been tagging plugz
> but I haven't known when to tag it.
Ok, I did see that in there, but I was not sure if it was "usable" as
the ./configure/make did not  build it.

> I'm not sure on hcidump logs, but one thing that causes similar problems
> with my spider set is having my cellphone on. The spider is connected to
> both the computer and the cellphone, so it wants to be the master
> device. The computer also typically wants to be master and if you have a
> smartphone it will too. The result is a big scatternet (possibly with
> roles switching around) and extremely poor quality of delivery.

I have specifically tried this with my phone turned off, as I read
that this could cause issues as well. Literally, with no configuration
changes, no phone changes, no headset powering on/off, basically
nothing changed except a2dpd vs a2dpd2 it starts going from pausing
every few seconds to completely disconnecting.  Also, in my bluez
configuration I have explicitly denied role-switching:

 lm accept,master;
 lp hold,sniff,park;

> it's possible we somehow have the outbound and inbound avrcp connections
> going simultaneously. also, in early avrcp testing I remember seeing
> doubled-up messages from some sets that were subtly different and I
> thought I had added code to throw out the fake message.

Noted.  I shall wait for progress on this.

I have tested older a2dpd and pcm.a2dpd plugins from btsco-0.5, works
flawlessly from what I can tell.

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13 10:27   ` Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-13 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/13/07, Frederic Dalleau <Frederic.Dalleau@access-company.com> wrote:
> Hi, thank you for reports.

You're welcome. :) I'm glad to help, as I just literally 2 days ago
decided I wanted to try and make this work, as I am on vacation from
work for 1wk with nothing else to do.

> When did you do all that? Latest submit was last friday.
Yesterday, monday, 13feb.

> > i ofcourse tried xmms.
> Which version? Can you try 1.2.10?
Specifically 1.2.10-cvs, as of about 2 months ago from their cvs servers.
This does work perfectly well with btsco-0.5's a2dpd-daemon/a2dpd pcm.
I can try the release tarball if you'd like.

> > After a while, i decided to try mplayer, vlc, and even audacious.
> Which version? Can you try 1.0rc1?
I tried the version that gentoo portage decided to install, which
apparently is 1.0rc1 with a few tweaks. Im unsure which tweaks, but i
know SVN does not properly work the last I tried about a week ago,
else i would have used that.
mplayer always outputs sound, video is a different question.

With the newest a2dpd, this mplayer always outputs, either plugin, but
video is another story. Audio works fine, video lags sloooowly.   VLC
worked fine either way, ofcourse, newer plugz skips a lot, but
btsco-0.5 has been playing a tivoed episode of CSI for the last 10
mins without a problem, just the ~200ms audio lag or so that I'm
unsure how to correct for in VLC.

> > Then i read that there was a newer plugin, a2dpd2.
> Should be broken I will remove it.
Noted.

> > btsco-0.5 from sf.net.
> Should work well, but would be better fix plugz a2dpd.
Yes, this release works good for audio sending.

> > What do you think is happening with plugz / alsa plugins that cause
> > the errors I have listed?
> Bad luck!
I always seem to get this! especially when I want something to work
really badly :)

> > Also, one thing I have noticed about my headset: The avrcp controls
> > seem to be sent twice when I press the joystick buttons. Hitting the
> Press and release.
I'm unsure of this, as I have tried holding the button for a few
seconds, and even the first slight press gives 2 commands. This
however, is ONLY for the shared play/pause, as the buttons for
forward/back are indeed press and release triggered.

> > However, stopping the playback (ctrl-c on say, mplayer) only causes
> > the headset to emit 1 avrcp_stop command.
> The headset should not send command if you stop from the computer. is it avrcp_stop or AVDTP_STOP?
Let me make sure... ctrl-c on mplayer / kill -9 vlc (them and their
ctrl-c catching...blah)

A2DPD[487.288]: a2dpd_signal_state: Disconnected
A2DPD[488.255]: a2dpd_signal_command: avrcp_stop

> set your plugin as this :
> pcm.a2dpd {
> type a2dpd
> debug 1
> }
> Then give us full player log, and a2dpd log. Use plugz latest cvs.

Well, I was in the process of doing this, and now, neither version of
a2dpd wish to connect with my headset at all. It just sits at
'connecting' ... nomatter what im trying. vlc/mplayer/xmms, new/old,
a2play/pcm.a2dpd, it is refusing to connect anymore... I even rebooted
to no avail.. did i somehow wear out my headset?!?

DEBUG: a2dp_new: 00:14:CF:03:37:DC, 44100
DEBUG: detect_a2dp: Found A2DP Sink
DEBUG: connect_stream: Found A2DP Sink at the destination (psm_cmd=25)
DEBUG: do_connect: (errno=111:Connection refused)Can't connect to
DC:37:03:CF:14:00 on psm 25.
DEBUG: connect_stream: cannot open psm_cmd = 25
DEBUG: a2dp_new: Can't connect
DEBUG: a2dp_free
This is from btsco-0.5 a2play ...

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13 13:15     ` Frédéric DALLEAU
From: Frédéric DALLEAU @ 2007-02-13 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

I just updated the daemon from plugz as traces were disabled at compile
time in release! Please use this one now to give us traces.

>> Which version? Can you try 1.2.10?
>>
> Specifically 1.2.10-cvs, as of about 2 months ago from their cvs servers.
> This does work perfectly well with btsco-0.5's a2dpd-daemon/a2dpd pcm.
> I can try the release tarball if you'd like.

Just retried 1.2.10 tarball released from site with latest plugin. Also
ubuntu xmms (also stated as 1.2.10 don't work)
Note the tarball do not build first time, I had to remove the static
keyword at the file/line mentionned.

> With the newest a2dpd, this mplayer always outputs, either plugin, but
> video is another story. Audio works fine, video lags sloooowly.
Mplayer video is slow with older plugin. The newer have corrected this
but the sound is broken with video (it's ok for music only). I'm looking.
The same : i got the tarball on the site.
> Well, I was in the process of doing this, and now, neither version of
> a2dpd wish to connect with my headset at all. It just sits at
> 'connecting' ... nomatter what im trying. vlc/mplayer/xmms, new/old,
> a2play/pcm.a2dpd, it is refusing to connect anymore... I even rebooted
> to no avail.. did i somehow wear out my headset?!?

Probably pairing. Sometimes I have these and I can't reconnect at all. I
usually do the following sudo rm -rf /var/lib/bluetooth. Then I pair the
device again.

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-13 22:25       ` Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/13/07, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU <frederic.dalleau@access-company.com> wrot=
e:

> I just updated the daemon from plugz as traces were disabled at compile
> time in release! Please use this one now to give us traces.

Ok. I'll muck with this in a little while. :)

> Just retried 1.2.10 tarball released from site with latest plugin. Also
> ubuntu xmms (also stated as 1.2.10 don't work)
> Note the tarball do not build first time, I had to remove the static
> keyword at the file/line mentionned.

> Mplayer video is slow with older plugin. The newer have corrected this
> but the sound is broken with video (it's ok for music only). I'm looking.
> The same : i got the tarball on the site.
Yes, I did notice that music itself was just fine.

> Probably pairing. Sometimes I have these and I can't reconnect at all. I
> usually do the following sudo rm -rf /var/lib/bluetooth. Then I pair the
> device again.

One specific question with regards to pairing:
Which daemons / gnome panel plugins / apps need to be running at the
time of pairing, and what is the most successful way to do this?  I
was only able to get a connection at all when i had the
bluetooth-applet running in my notification area.  However, this
applet (v0.6) seems to crash a lot, especially last night when I was
trying unsuccessfully to connect my headset.

Mike

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-02-14  8:30     ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-14  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Mike

fwiw, it may be that something somewhere has regressed. I can't get
totally smooth audio through btsco-0.5 or cvs plugz (a2dpd or a2dpd2).
It doesn't have to be in our driver, especially since my previously
working btsco-0.5 plugin doesn't work right. It could be in the kernel
or bluez or my config. I haven't held things constant with a control
configuration unfortunately :(

My best result is in using my spider set, plugz from cvs, a2dpd plugin,
totem and a .asoundrc with

pcm.!default {
type a2dpd
}

but I'm still getting occasional pauses in the stream. totem using
a2dpd2 resulted in audio playing too fast with gaps of silence.

Brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Successes and failures with btsco/bluez respectively
@ 2007-03-06  4:34       ` Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-03-06  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/14/07, Brad Midgley <bmidgley@xmission.com> wrote:
> Mike
>
> fwiw, it may be that something somewhere has regressed. I can't get
> totally smooth audio through btsco-0.5 or cvs plugz (a2dpd or a2dpd2).
> It doesn't have to be in our driver, especially since my previously
> working btsco-0.5 plugin doesn't work right. It could be in the kernel
> or bluez or my config. I haven't held things constant with a control
> configuration unfortunately :(
>
> My best result is in using my spider set, plugz from cvs, a2dpd plugin,
> totem and a .asoundrc with
>
> pcm.!default {
> type a2dpd
> }
>
> but I'm still getting occasional pauses in the stream. totem using
> a2dpd2 resulted in audio playing too fast with gaps of silence.
>
> Brad

Well, I finally had time/money to get a better bluetooth dongle, a
bluespoon (CSR) 2.0/EDR.  My old one's lack of adaptive frequency
hopping limited my range quite a lot compared to what i was able to
get with my BT 1.2 phone. The new dongle improves that immensely.
Also: current plugz cvs works perfectly well, no skipping/weird audio
pitch/dropouts when using mplayer to play back mp3 files. I am still
getting no sound when using a2dpd as a plugin for xmms.

One thing of note, I am no longer able to run a2dpd as a user, and im
wondering what I need to change... i know i got it working once, but
now i get:

A2DPD[21:23:25.748]: a2dp_make_listen_socket: (errno=13:Permission
denied)Cannot bind socket 6 for psm 25

Other than these problems, it works fine when i run a2dpd as root.

Mike