* RFC: stop support for 2.6 kernel in the daily build
@ 2018-09-13  6:49 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2018-09-13  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 is on kernel 3.12, and version 11 SP2 or up
is on kernel 3.0.

Red Hat's RHEL 7 is on kernel 3.10.

I'm inclined to drop support for 2.6 altogether. If nothing else it
simplifies the kernel version handling in media_build.

Whether we should also drop support for 3.0-3.9 is another matter.
I wouldn't mind, 3.10 seems to be a reasonable minimum to me, but
I might be too optimistic here.

Comments?

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: RFC: stop support for 2.6 kernel in the daily build
@ 2018-09-13 21:32 ` Jasmin J.
From: Jasmin J. @ 2018-09-13 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans!

> I'm inclined to drop support for 2.6 altogether.
RHEL 6 is on kernel 2.6.32, which we do not support since long time.
Most other distributions switched to 3.x also years in the past.
So lets drop 2.6.x then!

As you know I maintain a media-tree DKMS package and this should work for older
Kernels. I personally have a VDR based on Ubuntu 14.04 system with the original
3.13 Kernel. So this is the minimum version for me.

When you want to support RHEL 7, then the version goes down to 3.10.

> Whether we should also drop support for 3.0-3.9 is another matter.
We can decide now to remove those versions also and wait if people are
complaining. At least this is what I would do.

I would suggest to remove all kernels prior to 3.10 from your build system and
wait what people will say over the next months.

BR,
   Jasmin

* Re: RFC: stop support for 2.6 kernel in the daily build
@ 2018-09-14  6:35   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2018-09-14  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/13/2018 11:32 PM, Jasmin J. wrote:
> Hello Hans!
>
>> I'm inclined to drop support for 2.6 altogether.
> RHEL 6 is on kernel 2.6.32, which we do not support since long time.
> Most other distributions switched to 3.x also years in the past.
> So lets drop 2.6.x then!

OK, I'll do that in the next few days.

> As you know I maintain a media-tree DKMS package and this should work for older
> Kernels. I personally have a VDR based on Ubuntu 14.04 system with the original
> 3.13 Kernel. So this is the minimum version for me.
>
> When you want to support RHEL 7, then the version goes down to 3.10.
>
>> Whether we should also drop support for 3.0-3.9 is another matter.
> We can decide now to remove those versions also and wait if people are
> complaining. At least this is what I would do.
>
> I would suggest to remove all kernels prior to 3.10 from your build system and
> wait what people will say over the next months.

I'll wait a few days if I get any other comments about this, and if not I will
kill 3.0-3.9.

@ 2018-09-19  7:41 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2018-09-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/13/2018 08:49 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 is on kernel 3.12, and version 11 SP2 or up
> is on kernel 3.0.
>
> Red Hat's RHEL 7 is on kernel 3.10.
>
> I'm inclined to drop support for 2.6 altogether. If nothing else it
> simplifies the kernel version handling in media_build.
>
> Whether we should also drop support for 3.0-3.9 is another matter.
> I wouldn't mind, 3.10 seems to be a reasonable minimum to me, but
> I might be too optimistic here.

Final reminder: unless someone objects I will drop support for kernels
3.0-3.9 from the daily build tomorrow.

Pre-3.0 kernels are already dropped.

Regards,

	hans