* Bluetooth support in QEMU
@ 2022-08-15 11:27 vaishu venkat
From: vaishu venkat @ 2022-08-15 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi team,
            We are currently required to use QEMU for virtualization of
customized application. The application requires Bluetooth and Wi-fi
support, as observed below warning,
*qemu-system-aarch64: -bt hci,host: warning: The bluetooth subsystem is
deprecated and will be removed soon. If the bluetooth subsystem is still
useful for you, please send a mail to qemu-devel@nongnu.org
<qemu-devel@nongnu.org> with your usecase.*

 Could you please help us with the support of bluetooth in QEMU.

Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Vaishnavi V

* Re: Bluetooth support in QEMU
@ 2022-08-15 16:05 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2022-08-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vaishu venkat; +Cc: qemu-devel, Thomas Huth

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 at 16:53, vaishu venkat <vaishu071998@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>             We are currently required to use QEMU for virtualization of customized application. The application requires Bluetooth and Wi-fi support, as observed below warning,
> qemu-system-aarch64: -bt hci,host: warning: The bluetooth subsystem is deprecated and will be removed soon. If the bluetooth subsystem is still useful for you, please send a mail to qemu-devel@nongnu.org with your usecase.
>
>  Could you please help us with the support of bluetooth in QEMU.

You're rather late... Bluetooth was deprecated in 2018 for
QEMU v3.1 (hence that warning message), and was subsequently
removed entirely for QEMU v5.0, released in 2020.

The code in QEMU was, as far as we could tell at the time,
basically unused, unmaintained and also broken. It isn't
coming back, I'm afraid.

Do you have an existing application that runs and works with
the bluetooth functionality on the QEMU version you have,
or are you instead trying to get it working as a new thing?
If the former, the answer is "just keep using that old QEMU".
If the latter, the answer is "it never really worked anyway,
so don't bother trying".

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: Bluetooth support in QEMU
@ 2022-08-15 16:10 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2022-08-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vaishu venkat, qemu-devel

On 15/08/2022 13.27, vaishu venkat wrote:
> Hi team,
>              We are currently required to use QEMU for virtualization of
> customized application. The application requires Bluetooth and Wi-fi
> support, as observed below warning,
> *qemu-system-aarch64: -bt hci,host: warning: The bluetooth subsystem is
> deprecated and will be removed soon. If the bluetooth subsystem is still
> useful for you, please send a mail to qemu-devel@nongnu.org
> <mailto:qemu-devel@nongnu.org> with your usecase.*
>
>   Could you please help us with the support of bluetooth in QEMU.

Which version of QEMU are you using? Bluetooth support has been completely
removed in QEMU v5.0.0 (which was released more than two years ago already)
since nobody spoke up saying that they were still using the completely
bit-rotten code. So sorry, but it's gone now and cannot be used anymore in
recent versions.

If you just need access to real bluetooth devices in the guest, you could
try to passthrough a real bluetooth USB device to the guest instead.

  HTH,
   Thomas

* Re: Bluetooth support in QEMU
@ 2022-08-16  4:22   ` vaishu venkat
From: vaishu venkat @ 2022-08-16  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for prompt response.

We currently using the QEMU version as below,

*qemu-system-aarch64 -versionQEMU emulator version 4.2.1 (Debian
1:4.2-3ubuntu6.23)Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU
Project developers*

Could you please guide us with the, how to access the real bluetooth
devices in the guest

@ 2022-08-16  4:27   ` vaishu venkat
From: vaishu venkat @ 2022-08-16  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: qemu-devel, Thomas Huth

Hi Peter,

Thanks for quick reply.

We don't have an existing application running with qemu functionality.

@ 2022-08-16  5:57     ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2022-08-16  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vaishu venkat; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 16/08/2022 06.22, vaishu venkat wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for prompt response.
>
> We currently using the QEMU version as below,
> *
> *
> *qemu-system-aarch64 -version
> QEMU emulator version 4.2.1 (Debian 1:4.2-3ubuntu6.23)
> Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers*
>
> Could you please guide us with the, how to access the real bluetooth devices
> in the guest*

Simply search for "QEMU USB passthrough" with your favourite search engine,
there are plenty of help pages out there.

  Thomas

* Re: Bluetooth support in QEMU
@ 2022-08-16  6:03       ` vaishu venkat
From: vaishu venkat @ 2022-08-16  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: qemu-devel

Thomas,

Sure will try with the USB Passthrough. Do you have any thoughts on
accessing the wireless interface inside the QEMU.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Regards,
Vaishnavi

@ 2022-08-17  5:27         ` vaishu venkat