* Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-05 18:02 Tobin Davis
From: Tobin Davis @ 2007-02-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Right now, half of my incoming spam is from this mailing list.

I noticed that the kernel developers mailing list is now only taking
email from subscribers, which drastically cuts down on spam.  Is there
any reason this can't be done for alsa-devel?  The only thing that would
be of issue is that users would have to subscribe before posting emails,
which doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Just a thought.
--
Tobin Davis <tdavis@dsl-only.net>

* Re: Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-05 18:08 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobin Davis; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:02:11 -0800,
Tobin Davis wrote:

> Right now, half of my incoming spam is from this mailing list.
>
> I noticed that the kernel developers mailing list is now only taking email from
> subscribers, which drastically cuts down on spam.  Is there any reason this can't be
> done for alsa-devel?  The only thing that would be of issue is that users would have
> to subscribe before posting emails, which doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

We did so some time ago, but changed to open because we got complains
from kernel guys that the cross-posting caused problems.  If LKML was
also limited only for subscribers, I think we can do that again,
too...

Takashi

* Re: Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-05 19:41   ` Jon Smirl
From: Jon Smirl @ 2007-02-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2/5/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:02:11 -0800,
> Tobin Davis wrote:
> >
> > Right now, half of my incoming spam is from this mailing list.
> >
> > I noticed that the kernel developers mailing list is now only taking email from
> > subscribers, which drastically cuts down on spam.  Is there any reason this can't be
> > done for alsa-devel?  The only thing that would be of issue is that users would have
> > to subscribe before posting emails, which doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.
>
> We did so some time ago, but changed to open because we got complains
> from kernel guys that the cross-posting caused problems.  If LKML was
> also limited only for subscribers, I think we can do that again,
> too...

I can post to LKML and I'm not subscribed, are you sure this has been changed?

How about moving the list from sourceforge to vger.kernel.org since
they have implemented some major spam filtering. I believe it is those
new spam filters that are keeping lkml clean.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com

* Re: Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-05 22:46     ` Rafal Maszkowski
From: Rafal Maszkowski @ 2007-02-05 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 02:41:31PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > At Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:02:11 -0800,
> > Tobin Davis wrote:
> > > Right now, half of my incoming spam is from this mailing list.
> > > I noticed that the kernel developers mailing list is now only taking email from
> > > subscribers, which drastically cuts down on spam.  Is there any reason this can't be
> > > done for alsa-devel?  The only thing that would be of issue is that users would have
> > > to subscribe before posting emails, which doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.
> > We did so some time ago, but changed to open because we got complains
> > from kernel guys that the cross-posting caused problems.  If LKML was
> > also limited only for subscribers, I think we can do that again,
> > too...
> I can post to LKML and I'm not subscribed, are you sure this has been changed?
> How about moving the list from sourceforge to vger.kernel.org since
> they have implemented some major spam filtering. I believe it is those
> new spam filters that are keeping lkml clean.

I use greylisting so I get very few spams and now most of my spam comes from
alsa-devel. Greylisting on the alsa-devel server would help a lot to decrease
spam additionally decreasing load of the server.

Another annoyance of alsa-devel, connected with the above one, is that my
second level filters stop some of the spam from alsa-devel and I get
unsubscribed every few days because this spam is not delivered to me.
Fortunately the warning message gets thru and I can answer it and
resubscribe...

R.
PS. I hope I will not miss any news on V3505. Even just playing sound is a
problem here.
--
Jeżeli upadnie cywilizacja zachodnia, to będzie szansa na odbudowę cywilizacji
      chrześcijańskiej. (dr Stanisław Krajski, Radio Maryja, 10 X 2001)

* Re: Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-06  6:16 ` Ajay Jain
From: Ajay Jain @ 2007-02-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

> I noticed that the kernel developers mailing list is now only taking email
> from subscribers, which drastically cuts down on spam.  Is there any reason
> this can't be done for alsa-devel?  The only thing that would be of issue is
> that users would have to subscribe before posting emails, which doesn't seem
> to be that big of a deal.

Very right, its frustrating to get so much spam, 90% of mails are junk. A
lot of lists like "linux-arm-kernel", "linux-mtd", "linux-usb" etc make
subscription necessary. I think ALSA should go ahead and do it. If not, then
it should think of some other means of spam filtering.

Ajay

* Re: Question regarding spam on alsa-devel
@ 2007-02-06 11:11   ` Oliver
From: Oliver @ 2007-02-06 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajay Jain; +Cc: alsa-devel

Yes, Please, very pretty please.

I was gone for a week, I had 400 new msgs when I got back, 90% was spam
via alsa-devel (of which only 100 or so thunderbird marked as spam)....

please stop the spam!!