* [Qemu-devel] SDL2 issues
@ 2017-10-20 10:05 Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2017-10-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel qemu-devel; +Cc: Gerd Hoffmann

Hello

After we tried to switch from SDL1 to SDL2 in Debian qemu,
we receives quite some reports about various issues.

We use 2.10.1 version of qemu.

Example of the issues: http://bugs.debian.org/879193
http://bugs.debian.org/870025 - a few patches at the bottom
http://bugs.debian.org/878087

What's the status of SDL2 support in qemu? I've seen it is
the default now if SDL2 is present on the system (it was
SDL1 before).

Also, what's the status of SDL _audio_ support, is it needed
at all once we have alsa, pa and oss?

Thanks,

/mjt

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SDL2 issues
@ 2017-10-20 10:29 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2017-10-20 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 13:05 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Hello
>
> After we tried to switch from SDL1 to SDL2 in Debian qemu,
> we receives quite some reports about various issues.
>
> We use 2.10.1 version of qemu.
>
> Example of the issues: http://bugs.debian.org/879193

Doesn't reproduce.

> http://bugs.debian.org/870025 - a few patches at the bottom

Those patches should go to the mailing list.

> http://bugs.debian.org/878087

Yes, -k is simply not supported with sdl2.
Those remappings should be done in the guest instead.

> What's the status of SDL2 support in qemu? I've seen it is
> the default now if SDL2 is present on the system (it was
> SDL1 before).

Yep.  Long term I want drop SDL1, this is the first step.

> Also, what's the status of SDL _audio_ support, is it needed
> at all once we have alsa, pa and oss?

Dunno how well mixing sdl display with non-sdl audio works.  Feel free
to send a patch dropping sdl audio to the list to check what people
think about that ;)

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] SDL2 issues
@ 2017-10-20 11:06   ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-10-20 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann, Michael Tokarev, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 20.10.2017 12:29, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 13:05 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> After we tried to switch from SDL1 to SDL2 in Debian qemu,
>> we receives quite some reports about various issues.
>>
>> We use 2.10.1 version of qemu.
>>
>> Example of the issues: http://bugs.debian.org/879193
>
> Doesn't reproduce.
>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/870025 - a few patches at the bottom
>
> Those patches should go to the mailing list.
>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/878087
>
> Yes, -k is simply not supported with sdl2.
> Those remappings should be done in the guest instead.
>
>> What's the status of SDL2 support in qemu? I've seen it is
>> the default now if SDL2 is present on the system (it was
>> SDL1 before).
>
> Yep.  Long term I want drop SDL1, this is the first step.
>
>> Also, what's the status of SDL _audio_ support, is it needed
>> at all once we have alsa, pa and oss?
>
> Dunno how well mixing sdl display with non-sdl audio works.  Feel free
> to send a patch dropping sdl audio to the list to check what people
> think about that ;)

I think we've had that topic before: SDL audio is still required for
some non-Linux systems like Haiku, so please don't remove it, even if
SDL audio still needs some love with SDL2 to get really usable there again.

 Thomas