* qgit on Mac OS X
@ 2007-02-05 12:15 Pazu
From: Pazu @ 2007-02-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Has anyone tried to compile and use qgit on Mac OS X?

This week I installed qt-mac (3.3.7), and tried to compile qgit. Everything went
surprisingly well, and compilation finished without any errors. Now I'm able to
launch qgit, but the main window seems unable to receive focus, so I can't
interact with the application. Here's an screenshot:

http://pazu.com.br/dav/qgit-osx.jpg

So, I'd love to hear if anyone else tried to use qgit on OS X, and if you had
better luck than me.

-- Pazu

* Re: qgit on Mac OS X
@ 2007-02-05 17:39 ` Marco Costalba
From: Marco Costalba @ 2007-02-05 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pazu; +Cc: git

On 2/5/07, Pazu <pazu@pazu.com.br> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to compile and use qgit on Mac OS X?
>
> This week I installed qt-mac (3.3.7), and tried to compile qgit. Everything went
> surprisingly well, and compilation finished without any errors. Now I'm able to
> launch qgit, but the main window seems unable to receive focus, so I can't
> interact with the application. Here's an screenshot:
>
> http://pazu.com.br/dav/qgit-osx.jpg
>
> So, I'd love to hear if anyone else tried to use qgit on OS X, and if you had
> better luck than me.

Sorry, I cannot help you because I don't have a MAC.

An idea could be to try to use the Qt4 version of qgit, still some
rough edge here and there but it seems to work, both on Linux and on
Windows.

Public repo is:  git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git

Good luck ;-)

Marco

* Re: qgit on Mac OS X
@ 2007-02-05 19:20 ` Baz
From: Baz @ 2007-02-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pazu; +Cc: git

On 05/02/07, Pazu <pazu@pazu.com.br> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to compile and use qgit on Mac OS X?
>
> This week I installed qt-mac (3.3.7), and tried to compile qgit. Everything went
> surprisingly well, and compilation finished without any errors. Now I'm able to
> launch qgit, but the main window seems unable to receive focus, so I can't
> interact with the application. Here's an screenshot:
>
> http://pazu.com.br/dav/qgit-osx.jpg
>
> So, I'd love to hear if anyone else tried to use qgit on OS X, and if you had
> better luck than me.

I havent tried qgit, but I've seen this happen with other apps, and
the Qt/Mac docs mention the problem:
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/mac-differences.html
"GUI Applications must be run out of a bundle (something like
widgets.app/) or using the open(1) command. Mac OS X needs this to
dispatch events correctly, as well as gaining access to the menubar.
If using GDB you must run with the full path to the executable."

I'm guessing the command line you used, obscured in the screenshot,
was something like
> `pwd`/qgit

Try:
> open ./qgit
instead. BTW, the same advice is in the docs for Qt4.

HTH
-Baz

* Re: qgit on Mac OS X
@ 2007-02-05 19:53   ` Pazu
From: Pazu @ 2007-02-05 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baz; +Cc: git

2007/2/5, Baz <brian.ewins@gmail.com>:

> Try:
> open ./qgit
> instead. BTW, the same advice is in the docs for Qt4.

Unfortunately, using "open" just opens the executable in TextMate.
Fortunately, creating bundles is a breeze, and indeed, if I run the
application as a bundle, everything works perfectly!

Cheers,

-- Pazu