* Stale Documentation
@ 2017-04-28 21:20 Gary R Hook
From: Gary R Hook @ 2017-04-28 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I'm reading through the page at https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Linux_PVH,
because, well, it
claims that AMD hardware isn't supported. That bothers me.

The date on the page is December 2014. Is there nothing more current to
be found?

The roadmap page is also stale. Is there an updated roadmap somewhere?
Should I be looking at something besides the wiki?

Primarily, my concerns are:

1) Has any information in that document (Linux_PVH) changed with respect
to Xen 4.9-unstable?
2) PVH guests have been listed as "Preview" for over 2 years. IS there
any updated documentation on PVH guests that I'm missing?

I appreciate any insights/information anyone cares to offer.

--
This is my day job. Follow me at:
IG/Twitter/Facebook: @grhookphoto

* Re: Stale Documentation
@ 2017-05-02 12:06 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-05-02 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R Hook; +Cc: xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky, Wei Liu, Roger Pau Monné

CC Roger and Boris

@ 2017-05-02 14:18   ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2017-05-02 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Gary R Hook; +Cc: xen-devel, Roger Pau Monné

On 05/02/2017 08:06 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> CC Roger and Boris
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 04:20:12PM -0500, Gary R Hook wrote:
>> I'm reading through the page at https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Linux_PVH,
>> because, well, it
>> claims that AMD hardware isn't supported. That bothers me.
>>
>> The date on the page is December 2014. Is there nothing more current to be
>> found?
>>
>> The roadmap page is also stale. Is there an updated roadmap somewhere?
>> Should I be looking at something besides the wiki?
>>
>> Primarily, my concerns are:
>>
>> 1) Has any information in that document (Linux_PVH) changed with respect to
>> Xen 4.9-unstable?

Pretty much everything on this page is no longer correct. It describes
PVHv1 and neither Xen (4.9+) nor Linux (4.11+) support it.

>> 2) PVH guests have been listed as "Preview" for over 2 years. IS there any
>> updated documentation on PVH guests that I'm missing?

I can only think of
https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/hvmlite.html but it really
doesn't help users.

The wiki page certainly needs to be updated.

-boris

@ 2017-05-02 14:40 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2017-05-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R Hook; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Gary R Hook <ghook@amd.com> wrote:
> I'm reading through the page at https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Linux_PVH,
> because, well, it
> claims that AMD hardware isn't supported. That bothers me.
>
> The date on the page is December 2014. Is there nothing more current to be
> found?
>
> The roadmap page is also stale. Is there an updated roadmap somewhere?
> Should I be looking at something besides the wiki?
>
> Primarily, my concerns are:
>
> 1) Has any information in that document (Linux_PVH) changed with respect to
> Xen 4.9-unstable?
> 2) PVH guests have been listed as "Preview" for over 2 years. IS there any
> updated documentation on PVH guests that I'm missing?

As Boris said, that was pvhv1, whose approach seemed promising but ran
into unresolvable technical difficulties.  We've scrapped it and been
working steadily on pvhv2 instead; the same basic idea but a different
technical approach.  It's also now in "tech preview".

 - George