* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-13 14:26 Harris, James R
From: Harris, James R @ 2018-12-13 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On 12/12/18, 9:29 PM, "SPDK on behalf of Sasha Kotchubievsky" <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org on behalf of sashakot(a)dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:

    Hi Tomek,

    Great news

    Can you confirm that 2M page issue in NVME-OF RDMA is fixed in 18.10.1?

    It was fixed by https://github.com/spdk/spdk/commit/7a58660 , which is
    not in the 18.10.X .  But, maybe it's fixed by other patches that are in.

    If you need some help to reproduce and retest the issue, let me know.

    I'd consider to merge following patches  into 18.10.1:

       -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974  - This patch
    fixes resource leakage

      -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887 improves error
    handling

      - https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802  - This patch fixes
    tests compilation on ARM platform. It's pretty annoying issue.

FYI - I've merged 430802 just now, and cherry picked it onto the v18.10.x branch here:
https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/spdk/spdk/+/437054/

    Thanks

    Sasha

    On 12/12/2018 10:17 PM, Zawadzki, Tomasz wrote:
    > Hi Sasha,
    >
    > Yes, there is an update to SPDK 18.10.1 coming that focuses on adding packaging for SPDK, along with important fixes that were merged since last release.
    >
    > Most of the patches were cherry-picked and merged into 18.10.x branch. Currently finishing up couple of the last ones.
    > The plan is to release it by end of this week.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tomek

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-19 21:36 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2018-12-19 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 20:11 +0200, Sasha Kotchubievsky wrote:
> Do you see the same pattern in both branches in "master" and in "18.10.1"?

Yes - as far as we've been able to tell it occurs in the same way on both master
and 18.10.1.

> > This is still an open issue, but Seth did figure out why we don't see the
> > problem on master - the test changed. The plan right now is to move forward
> > with
> > 18.10.1 without addressing this problem. 18.10.1 is far better than 18.10 in
> > this area already, and because this problem likely exists on master in the
> > same
> > form (and may not even ultimately be an SPDK problem), we'd rather not wait
> > get 18.10.1 out any longer.
>
> Dose it mean, the patch fixing "ref count" will be merged into 18.10.1?

Yes, it's merged now.

> > Any assistance with investigating the root cause of the issue on the master
> > branch would be greatly appreciated. It replicates using the 18.10 version
> > of
> > the test/nvmf/lvol/nvmf_lvol.sh test, but not the version on master. The
> > problem
> > appears to be that the connection just drops, and both the initiator and the
> > target reactor to that correctly. But why the connection is dropping (it's
> > loopback) is the unknown.
>
> Which SW stack is used in the testing: SoftROCE/MOFED/OFED? OS?
>
> As I understand, for reproduction, I run test/nvmf/lvol/nvmf_lvol.sh  (
> from 18.10 ) on source coming from "master". Is that correct?

Correct, run the 18.10 version of the test against "master" and it will
eventually reproduce. It does not hit every time and we so far haven't gotten it
to happen on a development system, but we haven't run it very many times just
yet. We're testing on Fedora 28 with whatever RDMA stack it comes with natively
using a Mellanox RNIC in loopback.

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-19 18:11 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-19 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-12-19 17:25 Lance Hartmann ORACLE
From: Lance Hartmann ORACLE @ 2018-12-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Walker, Benjamin <benjamin.walker(a)intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 18:37 +0000, Walker, Benjamin wrote:
>> On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 20:32 +0200, Sasha Kotchubievsky wrote:
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> If you need my help to investigate the issue, let me know.
>>>
>>> Do you see the same pattern in both branches in "master" and in "18.10.1"?
>>
>> Seth found a similar failure on the master branch, but it was way back on
>> November 5th. That's more than a month ago, and with the number of patches
>> that
>> are run daily it sure seems like the problem must have been fixed there. I did
>> diff of lib/nvmf/rdma.c on 18.10.1 and master and there doesn't seem to be a
>> huge number of differences. There is some improved SGL handling on master, but
>> this test is using the Linux kernel initiator which never sends more than 1
>> SGL
>> element.
>>
>> Still investigating.
>
> This is still an open issue, but Seth did figure out why we don't see the
> problem on master - the test changed. The plan right now is to move forward with
> 18.10.1 without addressing this problem. 18.10.1 is far better than 18.10 in
> this area already, and because this problem likely exists on master in the same
> form (and may not even ultimately be an SPDK problem), we'd rather not wait to
> get 18.10.1 out any longer.
>
> Any assistance with investigating the root cause of the issue on the master
> branch would be greatly appreciated. It replicates using the 18.10 version of
> the test/nvmf/lvol/nvmf_lvol.sh test, but not the version on master. The problem
> appears to be that the connection just drops, and both the initiator and the
> target reactor to that correctly. But why the connection is dropping (it's
> loopback) is the unknown.

Ben, I'm attempting to see if I can reproduce the failure by cobbling together a more simplified
shell script based on the essential pieces from the nvmf_lvol.sh script in SPDK 18.10 version;
i.e. using nvmf_fio.py instead of bdevperf.   I'm currently running on a 4.14-based kernel.  From
the CI failures we observed on fedora-03, I noted it was running a 4.18 kernel.  My thought is that
if I can get the failure to reproduce, then I'll build a top-of-tree (kernel.org) kernel -- currently at
4.20.0-rc7 -- and see if it happens there.   I'm just curious if any code that has changed in the kernel,
esp. the nvme driver stack, may result in different results.

--
Lance Hartmann

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-19 17:09 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2018-12-19 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-12-17 18:37 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2018-12-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 20:32 +0200, Sasha Kotchubievsky wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> If you need my help to investigate the issue, let me know.
>
> Do you see the same pattern in both branches in "master" and in "18.10.1"?

Seth found a similar failure on the master branch, but it was way back on
November 5th. That's more than a month ago, and with the number of patches that
are run daily it sure seems like the problem must have been fixed there. I did a

@ 2018-12-17 18:32 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-12-17 15:36 Harris, James R
From: Harris, James R @ 2018-12-17 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-12-16 11:30 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-16 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-12-14 16:21 Harris, James R
From: Harris, James R @ 2018-12-14 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On 12/13/18, 12:46 AM, "SPDK on behalf of Sasha Kotchubievsky" <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org on behalf of sashakot(a)dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:

    Hi,

    Thanks, for information.

    Patch https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802 is merged today
    to "master". It will be nice, if you get it to 18.10.1 too.

    Regarding to:

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887

Hi Sasha,

The two patches mentioned have been merged to master and are in the build queue for 18.10.1 (URLs below):
https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/spdk/spdk/+/437348/
https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/spdk/spdk/+/437349/

Regards,

-Jim

    I think, they fix/improve NVMF-OF (RDMA) solution and should be considered for merging into release version.
    Ben, Jim  could you review those patches and merge them to "master" if they are OK with you.

    Best regards
    Sasha

    On 12/13/2018 7:11 AM, Zawadzki, Tomasz wrote:
    > Hi Sasha,
    >

    > The patch 'env_dpdk: tell DPDK to not free dynamically allocated memory' is merged to 18.10.x.
    >
    > Please see this list<https://review.gerrithub.io/#/q/project:spdk/spdk+branch:v18.10.x> on Gerrithub for up to date patches going into that branch.
    >

    > For the rest of the patches listed, we didn’t merge every fix between 18.10 and current master. Only focusing on the critical ones that got merged to master.
    >
    > We will look into those and see which could be integrated into 18.10.x , assuming they get merged to master first.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tomek

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-13 15:13 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-13 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On 12/13/2018 4:26 PM, Harris, James R wrote:

> On 12/12/18, 9:29 PM, "SPDK on behalf of Sasha Kotchubievsky" <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org on behalf of sashakot(a)dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:
>
>      Hi Tomek,
>

>      Great news
>
>      Can you confirm that 2M page issue in NVME-OF RDMA is fixed in 18.10.1?
>
>      It was fixed by https://github.com/spdk/spdk/commit/7a58660 , which is
>      not in the 18.10.X .  But, maybe it's fixed by other patches that are in.
>
>      If you need some help to reproduce and retest the issue, let me know.
>
>      I'd consider to merge following patches  into 18.10.1:
>
>         -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974  - This patch
>      fixes resource leakage
>
>        -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887 improves error
>      handling
>
>        - https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802  - This patch fixes
>      tests compilation on ARM platform. It's pretty annoying issue.
>
> FYI - I've merged 430802 just now, and cherry picked it onto the v18.10.x branch here:
> https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/spdk/spdk/+/437054/

Great, thanks

@ 2018-12-13  7:45 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-13  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Thanks, for information.

Patch https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802 is merged today
to "master". It will be nice, if you get it to 18.10.1 too.

Regarding to:

https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974

https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887

I think, they fix/improve NVMF-OF (RDMA) solution and should be considered for merging into release version.
Ben, Jim  could you review those patches and merge them to "master" if they are OK with you.

Best regards
Sasha

On 12/13/2018 7:11 AM, Zawadzki, Tomasz wrote:
> Hi Sasha,
>

> The patch 'env_dpdk: tell DPDK to not free dynamically allocated memory' is merged to 18.10.x.
>
> Please see this list<https://review.gerrithub.io/#/q/project:spdk/spdk+branch:v18.10.x> on Gerrithub for up to date patches going into that branch.
>

> For the rest of the patches listed, we didn’t merge every fix between 18.10 and current master. Only focusing on the critical ones that got merged to master.
>
> We will look into those and see which could be integrated into 18.10.x , assuming they get merged to master first.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tomek

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-13  5:11 Zawadzki, Tomasz

Can you confirm that 2M page issue in NVME-OF RDMA is fixed in 18.10.1?

It was fixed by https://github.com/spdk/spdk/commit/7a58660 , which is not in the 18.10.X .  But, maybe it's fixed by other patches that are in.

If you need some help to reproduce and retest the issue, let me know.

I'd consider to merge following patches  into 18.10.1:

  -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974  - This patch fixes resource leakage

 -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887 improves error handling

 - https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802  - This patch fixes tests compilation on ARM platform. It's pretty annoying issue.

Thanks

Sasha

On 12/12/2018 10:17 PM, Zawadzki, Tomasz wrote:

> Hi Sasha,

> Yes, there is an update to SPDK 18.10.1 coming that focuses on adding packaging for SPDK, along with important fixes that were merged since last release.

> Most of the patches were cherry-picked and merged into 18.10.x branch. Currently finishing up couple of the last ones.

> The plan is to release it by end of this week.

> Thanks,

> Tomek

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-13  4:29 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2018-12-13  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Tomek,

Great news

Can you confirm that 2M page issue in NVME-OF RDMA is fixed in 18.10.1?

It was fixed by https://github.com/spdk/spdk/commit/7a58660 , which is
not in the 18.10.X .  But, maybe it's fixed by other patches that are in.

If you need some help to reproduce and retest the issue, let me know.

I'd consider to merge following patches  into 18.10.1:

   -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436974  - This patch
fixes resource leakage

  -  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/436887 improves error
handling

  - https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/430802  - This patch fixes
tests compilation on ARM platform. It's pretty annoying issue.

Thanks

Sasha

On 12/12/2018 10:17 PM, Zawadzki, Tomasz wrote:
> Hi Sasha,
>
> Yes, there is an update to SPDK 18.10.1 coming that focuses on adding packaging for SPDK, along with important fixes that were merged since last release.
>
> Most of the patches were cherry-picked and merged into 18.10.x branch. Currently finishing up couple of the last ones.
> The plan is to release it by end of this week.
>
> Thanks,
> Tomek

* Re: [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-12 20:17 Zawadzki, Tomasz

As I see, some patches from "master" are merged into v18.10.x branch.

https://github.com/spdk/spdk/tree/v18.10.x

Are there plans to update v18.10 released in October?

Best regards

Sasha

* [SPDK] Content for v18.10.x
@ 2018-12-12 19:01 Sasha Kotchubievsky