* RE: [Bluez-devel] Vendor Specific Commands
@ 2005-12-06 21:25 Jatin Nahar
From: Jatin Nahar @ 2005-12-06 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Marcel,
Thanks for the reply, I'll get back to you once I have more info.

Thanks,
Jatin=20

> I am using UART connection to the host. Currently I donot have the=20
> chipset manual, but it should not matter because not all vendor=20
> specific commands are related to hardware configuration.
>=20
> I searched the source code little bit and I feel that hciattach might=20
> be the place to put it since it already has some RFMD (swave) specific

> code. am I correct? (In that case my original question might have been

> worded incorrectly).

as I said, this depends on. The only support for ROM chips that BlueZ
has (officially) is for CSR chips. We do the complete programming with
the bccmd tool. As you might see, the hciattach tool only contains UART
specific settings. It does not sets the BD_ADDR or other things that are
needed for ROM chips. And as long as you don't tell me how the ROM chip
initialization of RFMD or Silicon Wave chips are supposed to work, I
can't give you any information on the best way to handle it.

Regards

Marcel

* RE: [Bluez-devel] Vendor Specific Commands
@ 2005-12-06 21:16 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2005-12-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi Jatin,

@ 2005-12-06 21:05 Jatin Nahar
From: Jatin Nahar @ 2005-12-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi Marcel,
I am using UART connection to the host. Currently I donot have the
chipset manual, but it should not matter because not all vendor specific
commands are related to hardware configuration.

I searched the source code little bit and I feel that hciattach might be
the place to put it since it already has some RFMD (swave) specific
code. am I correct? (In that case my original question might have been
worded incorrectly).

Thanks,
Jatin

> Thanks for the response. I am using RFMD chipset, but I don't think it

> matters. The reason I need vendor specific commands/events support is=20
> for cases where there is no non volatile memory present and the host=20
> needs to send down configurations using vendor specific commands. An=20
> example of such a case would be mobile phone environment, where the=20
> host uses these to do simple things like write Bluetooth address or=20
> complicated things like configure registers.
>=20
> I know that general framework for these commands/events are already=20
> supported, but what I am trying to find is the right place to do this=20
> (which is the first thing that should  happen) and for that I am=20
> trying to understand the BlueZ model.

this depends on. Send me the programming manual for the RFMD chip and
then I can tell you more. Are we talking about UART or USB connection to
host?

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Vendor Specific Commands
@ 2005-12-02 18:39 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2005-12-02 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi Jatin,

@ 2005-12-02 18:30 Jatin Nahar
From: Jatin Nahar @ 2005-12-02 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi Marcel,
Thanks for the response. I am using RFMD chipset, but I don't think it
matters. The reason I need vendor specific commands/events support is
for cases where there is no non volatile memory present and the host
needs to send down configurations using vendor specific commands. An
example of such a case would be mobile phone environment, where the host
uses these to do simple things like write Bluetooth address or
complicated things like configure registers.
I know that general framework for these commands/events are already
supported, but what I am trying to find is the right place to do this
(which is the first thing that should  happen) and for that I am trying

From: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@ho...>
/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14048991 <<Picture (Metafile)>> Re:
vendor specific commands </mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14048991>
2005-12-02 00:46
Hi Jatin,

> I want to add support for few vendor specific commands to BlueZ, was
> wondering whats the best place in the source code to do that? I want
> to perform some hardware configuration before any other initialization
> happens.
>
> I am also trying to understand general BlueZ architecture for any
> enhancements or customizations, what would be the best place to start
> (I have been  looking at the code, but do not completely understand it
> especially the startup part).
>
> Also wondering whats BlueZ's policy regarding support for vendor
> specific commands/events? Is it possible to submit modifications for a
> particular vendor and get that incorporated in standard distributions.

this depends on, but in general it is no problem. However the Bluetooth
core inside the Linux kernel stays vendor free at any price. But you
should don't ask vague questions. Tell us what hardware you are talking
about and what vendor specific stuff is needed in detail.

Regards

Marcel

[-- Attachment #2: Picture (Metafile) --]
[-- Type: image/bmp, Size: 106 bytes --]

* Re: [Bluez-devel] vendor specific commands
@ 2005-12-02  8:47 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2005-12-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

@ 2005-12-02  7:25 Jatin Nahar