* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2014-01-17  2:13 joe faith
From: joe faith @ 2014-01-17  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Murphy
Sent: 01/16/14 04:04 PM
To: The development of GNU GRUB
Subject: Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?

Is there a good reason why we don't have a separate partition for core.img? It doesn't seem like it's an OK idea for anything to be using the unallocated MBR gap, it's essentially a free for all. So why not an 0xEA partition of 1MB that's the MBR equivalent of the GPT BIOS Boot partition? I don't know if it even necessarily requires use of a primary partition if the boot.img code in the MBR simply points to an LBA to load. If that's the case core.img could be in an extended partition. And once GRUB is running, it doesn't care about primary or extended partitions anyway, right? When using TrueCrypt whole disk encryption, for example, extended partitions are not supported (with WinXP anyway).
That leaves you with a maximum of 4 partitions - often not enough to spare one for grub (especially in multi-boot setups).

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2014-01-17  4:55 ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2014-01-17  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Jan 16, 2014, at 7:13 PM, joe faith <dzrdmwjx@gmx.com> wrote:

> [...]

I must be having a problem counting:

1. GRUB
2. unencrypted "boot" for Windows/Truecrypt
3. Truecrypt encrypted "primary" for Windows
4. extended

Chris Murphy

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2014-01-22 14:56   ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-01-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On 21.01.2014 19:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> 3. Truecrypt encrypted "primary" for Windows
Use truecrypt loader. That's funny how truecrypt guys push their agenda
but never there when it comes to coding or even testing.

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2014-01-21 18:02 ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2014-01-21 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Jan 17, 2014, at 5:01 AM, joe faith <dzrdmwjx@gmx.com> wrote:

> [...]

No I'm suggesting fairness, that GRUB get its own partition for those layouts that can support it.

> Some of us might want to have a separate partition for data or even additional OSs.

Nothing I said is incompatible with partition lunacy.

> Also, I think I mentioned earlier that TrueCrypt FDE doesn't allow extended/logical partitions (with XP).
>
> How about:
> 1. Unencrypted boot
> 2. Windows XP (truecrypt)
> 3. Windows 7 (truecrypt)
> 4. Linux root

Adding Windows 7 is changing the goal posts. The context was one linux and one Windows with TrueCrypt. So please explain how GRUB can't or shouldn't have its own partition. And also if you can, clarify that TrueCrypt really writes important metadata to the unallocated space in the MBR gap - because that seems like a really ill conceived design.

Also, linux root does not require a primary partition. If you're using GRUB it can even find /boot on something exotic like an XFS formatted LVM2 LV.

Chris Murphy

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2014-01-17 12:01 joe faith
From: joe faith @ 2014-01-17 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

@ 2014-01-16 21:04 ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2014-01-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: joe faith @ 2014-01-16 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB, grub-devel

May I also suggest that "--core-img-location" parameter accept a block-list in some format, in addition to the device identifier?grub-install --boot-block-location=/dev/sda --core-img-location=/dev/sda[63+1985] => embed core image in the 1985 sectors starting at LBA 63 on /dev/sda This would be helpful in dealing with certain software that tend to use the MBR area to store their configuration. For example, TrueCrypt disk encryption software uses LBA 62 (0x3E) to store the volume header of the system volume. I know that the use of the MBR area by any such software is not approriate, however, some extra flexibility in the grub-installer will certainly address some of these issues. Cheers!
From: Chris Murphy @ 2013-12-19 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM, joe fresh <dzrdmwjx@gmx.com> wrote:
> The intent there was to install the boot block (boot.img) into the first sector of sda1, which is what my suggested workaround would have done as well.
> Also, if sda1 happens to be a fat or ntfs volume, this would need to be tweaked to ensure that the critical volume parameters are preserved.

You'd have to proscribe XFS from this, it doesn't have the space in the first sector that you require. I'm sure there are other examples.

> The assumption in both cases is that the user knows what they are doing…

Given the reality, exhibits A, B, C, D, and so on, this seems like a seriously unwarranted assumption. Users want to do all kinds of crazy things while also not learning necessarily esoteric facts about booting. I think the ship has sailed quite a while ago that ordinary users can be expected to know what they're doing in this realm of computing. It's complicated enough that even individual experts have developed highly specialized knowledge that their peers don't have.

Chris Murphy

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2013-12-19 18:18 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2013-12-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On 19.12.2013 17:31, joe fresh wrote:
> The assumption in both cases is that the user knows what they are doing...
The reverse is usually true.

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2013-12-19 16:31 joe fresh
From: joe fresh @ 2013-12-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

sda1 was just an example taken from the original request:grub-install --boot-block-location=/dev/sda1 --core-img-location=/dev/sda The intent there was to install the boot block (boot.img) into the first sector of sda1, which is what my suggested workaround would have done as well.
Also, if sda1 happens to be a fat or ntfs volume, this would need to be tweaked to ensure that the critical volume parameters are preserved.
The assumption in both cases is that the user knows what they are doing...

Cheers!
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 05:28:16AM -0500, joe fresh wrote: > Isn't this as simple as: > > grub-install /dev/sda > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=1 > followed by restoring DOS MBR... ? sda1 might not like having it's first sector overwritten. -- Len Sorensen _______________________________________________ Grub-devel mailing list Grub-devel@gnu.org https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/grub-devel

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2013-12-19 14:34 ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2013-12-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?
@ 2013-12-19 10:28 joe fresh

@ 2013-12-16 19:36 Andrey Borzenkov