* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR9382 W_DISABLE_L PIN 20 Mini-PCIe
@ 2012-05-27 22:08 Hasan Rashid
From: Hasan Rashid @ 2012-05-27 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi All,

I have an Atheros 9382 chip based MIMO radio (DNXA-116/WPEA121N). On the
datasheet, there is  pin 20 labeled W_DISABLE_L. In the description it
says it's a I/O. I am wondering if pulling it to ground would disable
the WiFi radio.

I want to implement a hardware RFKILL functionality in my board. Right
now I have it tied to a discrete but that doesn't seem to do what I
thought it should. Ideally, a discrete would put the card to sleep or
dysfunctional state until the discrete input's value changes.

If anyone has experimented with this, or has any thoughts I would highly
appreciate your help.

The datasheet is as follows:

Thanks in advance.

- Hasan R.

From: Adrian Chadd @ 2012-05-27 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

So the 30 second version of rfkill is this:

* it can be software driven (ie, the driver implements rfkill by stopping
TX/RX and baseband activity, possibly shutting down the NIC)
* it can be hardware driven (ie, there's an RFKill line to the NIC via a
GPIO pin)

The pin itself can be controlled by:

* hardware - ie, a physical switch to the rfkill pin;
* software - ie, some ACPI controlled function maps to the rfkill pin.

What you have above seems to be (2) and (1) respectively - ie, that pin is
mapped to GPIO7 on the NIC, and now you need to program GPIO7 to be an
RFkill pin. There's code in ath9k somewhere to configure the GPIO pin
correctly to implement hardware rfkill.

Good luck!

Adrian

@ 2012-05-29 16:09   ` Hasan Rashid