* FW: USB on MPC8349EMDS
@ 2006-05-02 17:57 Prashant Viswanathan
From: Prashant Viswanathan @ 2006-05-02 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

I have linux kernel (2.6.11) from Freescale running on the MPC8349EMDS.
I am using the BSP from Freescale which is supposed to have USB support.

However, I seem to be having problems with USB host support.

When I insert a USB Mass storage device (thumb drive), I get the
following errors

/ #  usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 8
usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 9
usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in

It does not show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices (I do have usbfs mounted).

I also have usb-utils installed and lsusb fails to list the device.

I have also tried other USB devices and get similar errors.

Has anybody else experience similar problems? Any pointers/help will be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Prashant

* Re: USB on MPC8349EMDS
@ 2006-05-02 18:19 ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2006-05-02 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prashant Viswanathan; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On May 2, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Prashant Viswanathan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have linux kernel (2.6.11) from Freescale running on the
> MPC8349EMDS.
> I am using the BSP from Freescale which is supposed to have USB
> support.
>
> However, I seem to be having problems with USB host support.
>
> When I insert a USB Mass storage device (thumb drive), I get the
> following errors
>
> / #  usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and
> address 8
> usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
> usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 9
> usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
>
> It does not show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices (I do have usbfs
> mounted).
>
> I also have usb-utils installed and lsusb fails to list the device.
>
> I have also tried other USB devices and get similar errors.
>
> Has anybody else experience similar problems? Any pointers/help
> will be
> appreciated.

I know there are some bugs in the Freescale driver that was released
as part of their BSP.

Are you using a PMC2USB module or just the USB ports on the SYS card?

- k

* Re: USB on MPC8349EMDS
@ 2006-05-02 19:50 ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2006-05-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prashant Viswanathan; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded ((((E-Mail))))

On May 2, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Prashant Viswanathan wrote:

>>> When I insert a USB Mass storage device (thumb drive), I get the
>>> following errors
>>>
>>> / #  usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and
>>> address 8
>>> usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
>>> usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 9
>>> usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
>>>
>>> It does not show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices (I do have usbfs
>>> mounted).
>>>
>>> I also have usb-utils installed and lsusb fails to list the device.
>>>
>>> I have also tried other USB devices and get similar errors.
>>>
>>> Has anybody else experience similar problems? Any pointers/help
>>> will be
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> I know there are some bugs in the Freescale driver that was released
>> as part of their BSP.
>>
>> Are you using a PMC2USB module or just the USB ports on the SYS card?
>>
>> - k
>
> I am connecting to the USB port on the board using the USB adaptor. I
> tried both configurations (MPH and DR).
>
> I also tried the latest stable kernel (2.6.16.12) but that doesn't
> compile for this board. Is there a later (later than 2.16.11)
> kernel out
> there which works for this particular board?
>
> Another possibility might be that the eval board I have is bad. I
> can't
> seem to get my hands on the errata.

You'll need something like 2.6.16 plus a patch from Randy Vinson
(posted to the list a month or two ago).

- kumar

* Re: USB on MPC8349EMDS
@ 2006-05-02 19:49 ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2006-05-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Blakeslee; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On May 2, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Steven Blakeslee wrote:

>> / #  usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph
>> and address 8 usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in usb 1-2: new
>> high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 9 usb
>> 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
>>

> When I used that driver I found it only worked with Full speed
> devices.
> Low and High speed devices did not work.

Yeah, that was due to the bug in the driver if my memory serves me
correctly.

- k

* RE: USB on MPC8349EMDS
@ 2006-05-02 19:26 Steven Blakeslee
From: Steven Blakeslee @ 2006-05-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prashant Viswanathan, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2006-05-02 18:52 Prashant Viswanathan
From: Prashant Viswanathan @ 2006-05-02 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Gala; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

> > When I insert a USB Mass storage device (thumb drive), I get the
> > following errors
> >
> > / #  usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and
> > address 8
> > usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
> > usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using fsl-usb2-mph and address 9
> > usb 1-2: khubd timed out on ep0in
> >
> > It does not show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices (I do have usbfs
> > mounted).
> >
> > I also have usb-utils installed and lsusb fails to list the device.
> >
> > I have also tried other USB devices and get similar errors.
> >
> > Has anybody else experience similar problems? Any pointers/help
> > will be
> > appreciated.
>=20
> I know there are some bugs in the Freescale driver that was released
> as part of their BSP.
>=20
> Are you using a PMC2USB module or just the USB ports on the SYS card?
>=20
> - k

I am connecting to the USB port on the board using the USB adaptor. I
tried both configurations (MPH and DR).

I also tried the latest stable kernel (2.6.16.12) but that doesn't
compile for this board. Is there a later (later than 2.16.11) kernel out
there which works for this particular board?

Another possibility might be that the eval board I have is bad. I can't
seem to get my hands on the errata.

Also waiting to hear back from Freescale folks.

Prashant