* RE: Re: Back end domains : input desired
@ 2005-01-26 18:07 Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2005-01-26 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Hunger, xen-devel, bgb; +Cc: mark.williamson

> I had send a mail earlier this week asking the docs to be
> fixed. Apart from
> the s/physdev/pci/ change the format of the pci entries is
> not correct in the
> docs. You should use (01:01.0), etc. This differs from the
> syntax in the
> config files used to "unhide" the devices for certain domains.

I fixed the documentation after your message.

I guess there's a good argument for unifying the format between the
config file and the xen command line. I'd certainly consider a patch
that also updated the documentation appropriately...

Ian

* Re: Re: Back end domains : input desired
@ 2005-01-24 17:17       ` Andrew Warfield
From: Andrew Warfield @ 2005-01-24 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark.williamson; +Cc: bgb, xen-devel

> > > So does this have any connections to the physical network cards at all?
> >
> > No. Could I possibly use the "dummy" driver to handle this requirement?
>
> Don't think so.  The main problem is that this domain needs to have privileges
> to access other domains memory (otherwise the backend driver doesn't work).
> I don't know of a way to specify this in a domain config.

this can currently be achieved (in a really sleazy way) by adding a
pci= line in the non-0 domain's config, and just handing it a device
that it doesn't have drivers for and so won't touch.

this is clearly not the, um, ideal approach to elevating privilege,
but it may get you going until the tools catch up. ;)

hth,
a.

* Re: Re: Back end domains : input desired
@ 2005-01-24 17:03     ` Jan Kundrát
From: Jan Kundrát @ 2005-01-24 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bgb; +Cc: mark.williamson, xen-devel

B.G. Bruce wrote:
> Wow, so you can run "multiple" dom0 images (one real dom0) - is there
> anything I need to add to the .sxp file to differentiate the non-dom0
> domains from the real Dom0?

As Mark said, you can run kernel compiled for dom0 as domU, if you add
things like network frontend and blockdev frontend. The only drawback is
greater kernel (-> bigger memory usage, bigger risk of bugs and
exploits, maybe (hardly measurable) slowdown?). Only one of them will
act as a real "domain0".

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

* Re: Re: Back end domains : input desired
@ 2005-01-24 16:50     ` Tobias Hunger
From: Tobias Hunger @ 2005-01-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, bgb; +Cc: mark.williamson