* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-05 13:18 Olivier Martin
From: Olivier Martin @ 2011-02-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,
I am trying to enable boot from tftp for a BeagleBoard-xM.
The BeagleBoard-xM has an integrated Ethernet port over USB.

I have tried to enable it by adding these following lines in
include/configs/omap3_beagle.h:
#define CONFIG_USB_ETHER               1
#define CONFIG_CMD_NET         /* bootp, tftpboot, rarpboot    */
#define CONFIG_CMD_PING

But when I compiled I have got a link error:
/drivers/usb/gadget/libusb_gadget.o: In function `usb_eth_initialize':
u-boot-main/drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c:1964: undefined reference to
`usb_gadget_register_driver'
drivers/usb/gadget/libusb_gadget.o: In function `usb_eth_init':
u-boot-main/drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c:1812: undefined reference to
`usb_gadget_handle_interrupts'

The functions `usb_gadget_register_driver' and
`usb_gadget_handle_interrupts' do not exist in the current u-boot tree...

Can someone confirm we can or cannot use tftp with u-boot on the BeagleBoard
?

Thanks,
Olivier

* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-05 14:05 ` Alexander Holler
From: Alexander Holler @ 2011-02-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

Am 05.02.2011 14:18, schrieb Olivier Martin:
> I am trying to enable boot from tftp for a BeagleBoard-xM.
> The BeagleBoard-xM has an integrated Ethernet port over USB.

Currently there is no support for omap-ehci in u-boot. That means only
the MUSB (OTG) USB port is usable.

Regards,

Alexander

* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-07  4:42   ` Gadiyar, Anand
From: Gadiyar, Anand @ 2011-02-07  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Alexander Holler <holler@ahsoftware.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 05.02.2011 14:18, schrieb Olivier Martin:
>> I am trying to enable boot from tftp for a BeagleBoard-xM.
>> The BeagleBoard-xM has an integrated Ethernet port over USB.
>
> Currently there is no support for omap-ehci in u-boot. That means only
> the MUSB (OTG) USB port is usable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander

There was some work done on getting EHCI working - I'll see if I can
poke the chaps that worked on it and get that posted here.

However, in addition to the omap-ehci support, won't we need
a driver for the SMSC LAN9514 ethernet controller on the board?
It sure would be useful to have this - the pandaboard also has the
same chip, so it would be useful there as well.

- Anand

* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-07 10:34     ` Alexander Holler
From: Alexander Holler @ 2011-02-07 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

Am 07.02.2011 05:42, schrieb Gadiyar, Anand:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Alexander Holler<holler@ahsoftware.de>  wrote:

>>> I am trying to enable boot from tftp for a BeagleBoard-xM.
>>> The BeagleBoard-xM has an integrated Ethernet port over USB.

>> Currently there is no support for omap-ehci in u-boot. That means only
>> the MUSB (OTG) USB port is usable.

> There was some work done on getting EHCI working - I'll see if I can
> poke the chaps that worked on it and get that posted here.

I'll have mostly ready patches here too. But my stuff seems to be
missing soemthing, because no devices will be seen. Haven't had the time
to examine that further. If interest is there, I could send you my patches.

> However, in addition to the omap-ehci support, won't we need
> a driver for the SMSC LAN9514 ethernet controller on the board?

Yes, but having omap-ehci is a prerequisit here, and my interest in
omap-ehci was because I would like it to use usb-storage. ;)

Regards,

Alexander

* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-07 13:32 ` Vitaly Kuzmichev
From: Vitaly Kuzmichev @ 2011-02-07 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to enable boot from tftp for a BeagleBoard-xM.
> The BeagleBoard-xM has an integrated Ethernet port over USB.
>
> I have tried to enable it by adding these following lines in
> include/configs/omap3_beagle.h:
> #define CONFIG_USB_ETHER               1
> #define CONFIG_CMD_NET         /* bootp, tftpboot, rarpboot    */
> #define CONFIG_CMD_PING
>
> But when I compiled I have got a link error:
> /drivers/usb/gadget/libusb_gadget.o: In function `usb_eth_initialize':
> u-boot-main/drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c:1964: undefined reference to
> `usb_gadget_register_driver'
> drivers/usb/gadget/libusb_gadget.o: In function `usb_eth_init':
> u-boot-main/drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c:1812: undefined reference to
> `usb_gadget_handle_interrupts'
>
> The functions `usb_gadget_register_driver' and
> `usb_gadget_handle_interrupts' do not exist in the current u-boot tree...

Of course. You haven't enabled appropriate USB gadget controller driver.
Please learn the difference between USB Networking using USB host and
USB gadget stacks.
CONFIG_USB_ETHER is a gadget driver. You probably need CONFIG_USB_USBNET
instead.

* [U-Boot] BeagleBoard-xM: Ethernet over USB supported ?
@ 2011-02-07 17:30     ` jacopo mondi
From: jacopo mondi @ 2011-02-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Since it was one of the purposed GSoc project, knowing something more
would be interesting for someone.
Could you please provide more information, or maybe give a hint
about who worked on that?

thanks..