* machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-12  7:14 Andreas Philipp
From: Andreas Philipp @ 2010-08-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

I am using a btrfs filesystem created with raid0 for data and metadata
for (temporary) storage of tv recordings from my vdr. The filesystem was
created under kernel version 2.6.34. An initial btrfs balance command
succeeded. Since I upgraded to 2.6.35-rcX and 2.6.35 btrfs balance no
longer finishes but puts the machine in some unresponsive state.
Unfortunately, I do not see any kernel oops or other debug information
because even the display freezes. The last thing that happens are that
those two lines are written to /var/log/messages:
Aug 11 21:42:23 thor kernel: btrfs: found 62911 extents
Aug 11 21:42:24 thor kernel: btrfs: relocating block group 1723913469952
flags 9
After that the machine becomes immediately unresponsive.

As I did not see anything that might be related to my problem in the
changelog for 2.6.35.1 I did not try again with this version.

Thanks,
Andreas

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-12  8:04 ` Yan, Zheng
From: Yan, Zheng  @ 2010-08-12  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Philipp; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Andreas Philipp
<philipp.andreas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a btrfs filesystem created with raid0 for data and metadata
> for (temporary) storage of tv recordings from my vdr. The filesystem was
> created under kernel version 2.6.34. An initial btrfs balance command
> succeeded. Since I upgraded to 2.6.35-rcX and 2.6.35 btrfs balance no
> longer finishes but puts the machine in some unresponsive state.
> Unfortunately, I do not see any kernel oops or other debug information
> because even the display freezes. The last thing that happens are that
> those two lines are written to /var/log/messages:
> Aug 11 21:42:23 thor kernel: btrfs: found 62911 extents
> Aug 11 21:42:24 thor kernel: btrfs: relocating block group 1723913469952
> flags 9
> After that the machine becomes immediately unresponsive.
>
> As I did not see anything that might be related to my problem in the
> changelog for 2.6.35.1 I did not try again with this version.

Do you have more than one machines? would you please setup netconsole
to see what happen.

Thanks
Yan, Zheng

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-13  9:28   ` Andreas Philipp
From: Andreas Philipp @ 2010-08-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yan, Zheng ; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 12.08.2010 10:04, Yan, Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Andreas Philipp
> <philipp.andreas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using a btrfs filesystem created with raid0 for data and metadata
>> for (temporary) storage of tv recordings from my vdr. The filesystem was
>> created under kernel version 2.6.34. An initial btrfs balance command
>> succeeded. Since I upgraded to 2.6.35-rcX and 2.6.35 btrfs balance no
>> longer finishes but puts the machine in some unresponsive state.
>> Unfortunately, I do not see any kernel oops or other debug information
>> because even the display freezes. The last thing that happens are that
>> those two lines are written to /var/log/messages:
>> Aug 11 21:42:23 thor kernel: btrfs: found 62911 extents
>> Aug 11 21:42:24 thor kernel: btrfs: relocating block group 1723913469952
>> flags 9
>> After that the machine becomes immediately unresponsive.
>>
>> As I did not see anything that might be related to my problem in the
>> changelog for 2.6.35.1 I did not try again with this version.
>>

> Do you have more than one machines? would you please setup netconsole
> to see what happen.

Sorry for not responding earlier but I did not find time before this
morning. After I have set up netconsole I am running btrfs balance at
the moment - now on 2.6.35.1.

Yours,

@ 2010-08-13 22:11   ` Andreas Philipp
From: Andreas Philipp @ 2010-08-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yan, Zheng ; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 12.08.2010 10:04, Yan, Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Andreas Philipp
> <philipp.andreas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using a btrfs filesystem created with raid0 for data and metadata
>> for (temporary) storage of tv recordings from my vdr. The filesystem was
>> created under kernel version 2.6.34. An initial btrfs balance command
>> succeeded. Since I upgraded to 2.6.35-rcX and 2.6.35 btrfs balance no
>> longer finishes but puts the machine in some unresponsive state.
>> Unfortunately, I do not see any kernel oops or other debug information
>> because even the display freezes. The last thing that happens are that
>> those two lines are written to /var/log/messages:
>> Aug 11 21:42:23 thor kernel: btrfs: found 62911 extents
>> Aug 11 21:42:24 thor kernel: btrfs: relocating block group 1723913469952
>> flags 9
>> After that the machine becomes immediately unresponsive.
>>
>> As I did not see anything that might be related to my problem in the
>> changelog for 2.6.35.1 I did not try again with this version.
>>

> Do you have more than one machines? would you please setup netconsole
> to see what happen.

I have reproduced the error on v2.6.35.1 and recorded all kernel output
with netconsole. The interesting point is that this time the machine did
not crash but the btrfs balance segfaulted at exact the same position
where the previous crashes had happened.

Yours,
Andreas

[-- Attachment #2: netconsole.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 7403 bytes --]

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-26 13:27     ` Johannes Hirte
From: Johannes Hirte @ 2010-08-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Philipp; +Cc: Yan, Zheng , linux-btrfs

On Saturday 14 August 2010 00:11:55 Andreas Philipp wrote:
> On 12.08.2010 10:04, Yan, Zheng wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Andreas Philipp
> > <philipp.andreas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using a btrfs filesystem created with raid0 for data and metadata
> >> for (temporary) storage of tv recordings from my vdr. The filesystem was
> >> created under kernel version 2.6.34. An initial btrfs balance command
> >> succeeded. Since I upgraded to 2.6.35-rcX and 2.6.35 btrfs balance no
> >> longer finishes but puts the machine in some unresponsive state.
> >> Unfortunately, I do not see any kernel oops or other debug information
> >> because even the display freezes. The last thing that happens are that
> >> those two lines are written to /var/log/messages:
> >> Aug 11 21:42:23 thor kernel: btrfs: found 62911 extents
> >> Aug 11 21:42:24 thor kernel: btrfs: relocating block group 1723913469952
> >> flags 9
> >> After that the machine becomes immediately unresponsive.
> >>
> >> As I did not see anything that might be related to my problem in the
> >> changelog for 2.6.35.1 I did not try again with this version.
> >>

> > Do you have more than one machines? would you please setup netconsole
> > to see what happen.
> >
> I have reproduced the error on v2.6.35.1 and recorded all kernel output
> with netconsole. The interesting point is that this time the machine did
> not crash but the btrfs balance segfaulted at exact the same position
> where the previous crashes had happened.

Looks like another manifestation of the csum bug. Are you able to read all
files from the affected volume? Did you tried a balance with an 2.6.34 kernel
after the test with 2.6.35?

regards,
  Johannes

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-26 13:39       ` Andreas Philipp
From: Andreas Philipp @ 2010-08-26 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Hirte; +Cc: Yan, Zheng , linux-btrfs

On 26.08.2010 15:27, Johannes Hirte wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2010 00:11:55 Andreas Philipp wrote:
>> On 12.08.2010 10:04, Yan, Zheng wrote:

>>> Do you have more than one machines? would you please setup netconsole
>>> to see what happen.
>>>
>> I have reproduced the error on v2.6.35.1 and recorded all kernel output
>> with netconsole. The interesting point is that this time the machine did
>> not crash but the btrfs balance segfaulted at exact the same position
>> where the previous crashes had happened.
>
> Looks like another manifestation of the csum bug. Are you able to read all
> files from the affected volume? Did you tried a balance with an 2.6.34 kernel
> after the test with 2.6.35?

Till now I did not see any unreadable files but I did not do a
complete test. No, I did not try to balance with an 2.6.34 kernel. If
it helps I can switch back and try.

@ 2010-08-26 16:38         ` Johannes Hirte
From: Johannes Hirte @ 2010-08-26 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Philipp; +Cc: Yan, Zheng , linux-btrfs

On Thursday 26 August 2010 15:39:25 Andreas Philipp wrote:
> On 26.08.2010 15:27, Johannes Hirte wrote:
> > Looks like another manifestation of the csum bug. Are you able to read all
> > files from the affected volume? Did you tried a balance with an 2.6.34 kernel
> > after the test with 2.6.35?
> >
> Till now I did not see any unreadable files but I did not do a
> complete test. No, I did not try to balance with an 2.6.34 kernel. If
> it helps I can switch back and try.

I hope it helps to localize the error. It's still not clear where this starts
an what kernels are affected.

regards,
  Johannes

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-26 18:11           ` Lubos Kolouch
From: Lubos Kolouch @ 2010-08-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Johannes Hirte, Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:38:30 +0200:

> On Thursday 26 August 2010 15:39:25 Andreas Philipp wrote:
>> On 26.08.2010 15:27, Johannes Hirte wrote:
>> > Looks like another manifestation of the csum bug. Are you able to
>> > read all files from the affected volume? Did you tried a balance with
>> > an 2.6.34 kernel after the test with 2.6.35?
>> >
>> Till now I did not see any unreadable files but I did not do a complete
>> test. No, I did not try to balance with an 2.6.34 kernel. If it helps I
>> can switch back and try.
>
> I hope it helps to localize the error. It's still not clear where this
> starts an what kernels are affected.
>
> regards,
>   Johannes

I have now as well a volume that shows the csum bug and no, I cannot read
all files. Please let me know if I can test something. Kernel 2.6.35-
gentoo-r4

Regards

Lubos

* Re: machine gets unresponsive during btrfs balance
@ 2010-08-29 13:52           ` Andreas Philipp
From: Andreas Philipp @ 2010-08-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Hirte; +Cc: Yan, Zheng , linux-btrfs