* [Buildroot] /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld.so.conf.d in buildroot target skeleton
@ 2010-09-16 11:28 Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2010-09-16 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

In the buildroot target skeleton exists a directory ld.so.conf.d, but
no file ld.so.conf.
The ld.so.conf.d directory is not parsed, unless you include the files
there from ld.so.conf, like so:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

I am wondering why this is the case. Shouldn't there be a skeleton
/etc/ld.so.conf file?
If not, how is /etc/ld.so.conf.d supposed to be used?

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld.so.conf.d in buildroot target skeleton
@ 2010-09-16 11:41 ` Lionel Landwerlin
From: Lionel Landwerlin @ 2010-09-16 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Yeah, having a an ld.so.conf which includes every files within
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf would be great !

Lionel Landwerlin

@ 2010-09-16 17:30   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2010-09-16 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Lionel Landwerlin
<llandwerlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, having a an ld.so.conf which includes every files within
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf would be great !

Unfortunately, it seems that uClibc ldconfig does not support
'include' statements in ld.so.conf.

Based on this observation, I'd say that directory ld.so.conf.d is only
relevant in case of glibc, is that correct? Why then is it in the
skeleton?

Thanks,
Thomas

@ 2010-09-16 17:47     ` Lionel Landwerlin
From: Lionel Landwerlin @ 2010-09-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Well buildroot does support external toolchains, including a glibc one.

Lionel Landwerlin

Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 ? 19:30 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire a
?crit :

@ 2010-09-19 10:44       ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2010-09-19 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Lionel Landwerlin
<llandwerlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well buildroot does support external toolchains, including a glibc one.

Agreed, but since this is not the default, why is there an
ld.so.conf.d directory in the default skeleton? In my opinion, this is
confusing.
Having an empty ld.so.conf file would be clearer to buildroot users.

Best regards,
Thomas

@ 2010-09-19 11:19         ` Lionel Landwerlin
From: Lionel Landwerlin @ 2010-09-19 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Indeed...

Maybe the might be created after the skeleton copy. If we're using a
uclibc toolchain, then create a single ld.so.conf file, otherwise create
an ld.so.conf.d directory and with a ld.so.conf file including *.conf
files from ld.so.conf.d.

What do think ?

Lionel Landwerlin

Le dimanche 19 septembre 2010 ? 12:44 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire a
?crit :

@ 2010-09-19 14:39           ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2010-09-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Lionel Landwerlin
<llandwerlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed...
>
> Maybe the might be created after the skeleton copy. If we're using a
> uclibc toolchain, then create a single ld.so.conf file, otherwise create
> an ld.so.conf.d directory and with a ld.so.conf file including *.conf
> files from ld.so.conf.d.
>
> What do think ?

That looks like a good solution.
In case of uClibc though, the parsing of ld.so.conf is a configurable
option (LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT), so before generating an ld.so.conf we
should check whether that option is set.

Best regards,
Thomas

@ 2010-09-21  6:51             ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-09-21  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:39:24 +0200
Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot@gmail.com> wrote:

> That looks like a good solution.
> In case of uClibc though, the parsing of ld.so.conf is a configurable
> option (LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT), so before generating an ld.so.conf we
> should check whether that option is set.

We don't really support any other uClibc configuration than the one we
ship in toolchain/uClibc/uClibc-x.y.z.config. If an user changes the
configuration we provide, (s)he has to be ready for some build
breakage, because we are testing the build of all packages only with
this specific uClibc configuration. I don't think we can sanely enter
the game that would consist in handling all possible uClibc
configurations to know which packages need what.

Concerning LDSO cache, the LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT is disabled in our
default configuration.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld.so.conf.d in buildroot target skeleton
@ 2010-09-21  7:02               ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2010-09-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:39:24 +0200
> Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That looks like a good solution.
>> In case of uClibc though, the parsing of ld.so.conf is a configurable
>> option (LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT), so before generating an ld.so.conf we
>> should check whether that option is set.
>
> We don't really support any other uClibc configuration than the one we
> ship in toolchain/uClibc/uClibc-x.y.z.config. If an user changes the
> configuration we provide, (s)he has to be ready for some build
> breakage, because we are testing the build of all packages only with
> this specific uClibc configuration. I don't think we can sanely enter
> the game that would consist in handling all possible uClibc
> configurations to know which packages need what.

Ok, I can understand that.

> Concerning LDSO cache, the LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT is disabled in our
> default configuration.

But then I don't understand why there is an /etc/ld.so.conf.d
directory in the default skeleton, while glibc is not part of the
default.
In my opinion then, this empty directory should be removed (leaving
the creating of the ld.so.conf* files to developers with a custom
configuration).

Best regards,
Thomas