* [uml-devel] "New Challenges in Virtualization" devroom @ FOSDEM 2011
@ 2010-11-18 11:49 Renzo Davoli
From: Renzo Davoli @ 2010-11-18 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel, jdike

Dear User-Mode Linux developers,

FOSDEM accepted my proposal for a devroom about
"new challenges in virtualization".

I think this devroom can be also a meeting point for
user-mode-linux developers to discuss the future
of the project.
I have added an item to the topic list:
* user-mode-linux: dead or alive?

I think it is alive and healthy and it can benefit from
new virtualization supports in the kernel, optimized
ptrace tags and utrace-based modules.
I am sure you have many other ideas.

I invite you to propose talks and join the devroom.
FOSDEM will be held in Brussels on February 5-6 2011.

The wiki for the devroom is here:
http://nciv2011.v2.cs.unibo.it

	renzo

* Re: [uml-devel] "New Challenges in Virtualization" devroom @ FOSDEM 2011
@ 2010-11-18 12:25 ` richard -rw- weinberger
From: richard -rw- weinberger @ 2010-11-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Davoli; +Cc: jdike, user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it> wrote:
> Dear User-Mode Linux developers,
>
> FOSDEM accepted my proposal for a devroom about
> "new challenges in virtualization".
>
> I think this devroom can be also a meeting point for
> user-mode-linux developers to discuss the future
> of the project.
> I have added an item to the topic list:
> * user-mode-linux: dead or alive?
>
> I think it is alive and healthy and it can benefit from
> new virtualization supports in the kernel, optimized
> ptrace tags and utrace-based modules.
> I am sure you have many other ideas.

IMHO it's dead as virtualization technology.
But it's still used as playground for kernel developers.
You can easily implement and test new kernel features.

> I invite you to propose talks and join the devroom.
> FOSDEM will be held in Brussels on February 5-6 2011.
>
> The wiki for the devroom is here:
> http://nciv2011.v2.cs.unibo.it
>
>        renzo

//richard

* Re: [uml-devel] "New Challenges in Virtualization" devroom @ FOSDEM 2011
@ 2010-11-21 12:35     ` Renzo Davoli
From: Renzo Davoli @ 2010-11-21 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Meduna; +Cc: jdike, user-mode-linux-devel

Pros=+ Cons=- Pros(umview/kmview can be used instead)=++
Richard:
- IMHO it's dead as virtualization technology.
+ But it's still used as playground for kernel developers.
+ You can easily implement and test new kernel features.

Geert:
+ It's easy to get it running
++ I can run it without needing root access, so I can run it on any
Linux machine I have an account on
++ I can use it to do things that are limited to root-only
+ I even use it to debug/develop code for the Amiga Zorro bus

Stanislav:
- From a plain user's view: basically dead:
- SKAS3 is against 2.6.23 and unmaintained
- SKAS4 is against 2.6.24 and marked as experimental
+ As a help tool to run at the workstation, yes
- As a serious tool to virtualize services: no

--------
>>From this overview you can see that user-mode linux is still
useful but there are new problems to address.

I think that this is a good topic for a brainstorming session on
user-mode linux at FOSDEM 2011.

You are all invited to join the "new challenges in virtualization"
dev-room, proposing talks and new ideas.

nciv2011.v2.cs.unibo.it

ciao
	renzo

PS: I beg your pardon for the wrong subject in the first message of this thread.
copy&paste (middle button of the mouse for X) is a powerful tool but
sometimes creates damages...