* scrubbing in linux volume manager
@ 2011-01-27  5:02 sanoj
From: sanoj @ 2011-01-27  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,
I did not find any support for scrubbing in lvm, I would like to know id
this is right and the reason if so
I see 2 reasons => performance overhead
                       => demerits of scrubbing when silent data corruption
and disk failure simultaneously ocurrs.

thanks,
sanoj
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* scrubbing in linux volume manager
@ 2011-01-27 23:32 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2011-01-27 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM, sanoj <k.u.sanoj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I did not find any support for scrubbing in lvm, I would like to know id
> this is right and the reason if so
> I see 2 reasons => performance overhead
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? => demerits of scrubbing when silent data corruption
> and disk failure simultaneously ocurrs.
>

> thanks,
> sanoj

What's "scrubbing"?

* scrubbing in linux volume manager
@ 2011-01-28  0:55   ` Manish Katiyar
From: Manish Katiyar @ 2011-01-28  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM, sanoj <k.u.sanoj@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I did not find any support for scrubbing in lvm, I would like to know id
>> this is right and the reason if so
>> I see 2 reasons => performance overhead
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? => demerits of scrubbing when silent data corruption
>> and disk failure simultaneously ocurrs.
>>

>> thanks,
>> sanoj
>
> What's "scrubbing"?

I think he meant regular "disk scrubbing" to zero out the contents.

--
Thanks -
Manish

* scrubbing in linux volume manager
@ 2011-01-28  4:53     ` SandeepKsinha
From: SandeepKsinha @ 2011-01-28  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM, sanoj <k.u.sanoj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I did not find any support for scrubbing in lvm, I would like to know id
>>> this is right and the reason if so
>>> I see 2 reasons => performance overhead
>>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? => demerits of scrubbing when silent data corruption
>>> and disk failure simultaneously ocurrs.
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>> sanoj
>>
>> What's "scrubbing"?
>
> I think he meant regular "disk scrubbing" to zero out the contents.

Disk Scrubbing typically refers to the verification of disk drives
against media errors.

> --
> Thanks -
> Manish

Sandeep.

?To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.?

* scrubbing in linux volume manager
@ 2011-01-28  8:48       ` sanoj
From: sanoj @ 2011-01-28  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM, SandeepKsinha <sandeepksinha@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> What's "scrubbing"?
> >
> > I think he meant regular "disk scrubbing" to zero out the contents.
> >

> >Disk Scrubbing typically refers to the verification of disk drives
> against media errors.

hello,

I referred to scrubbing which is used in RAID 4 / 5, which is used for
recovery of corrupted sectors in a stripe.

@ 2011-01-29  4:34         ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2011-01-29  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, sanoj <k.u.sanoj@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think he meant regular "disk scrubbing" to zero out the contents.
>> >

>> >Disk Scrubbing typically refers to the verification of disk drives
>> against media errors.
>>

> hello,
>
> I referred to scrubbing which is used in RAID 4 / 5, which is used for
> recovery of corrupted sectors in a stripe.
>
> thanks,
> sanoj

It's news to me that LVM (device mapper) supports raid4/5 at all.  So
I'm not surprised it doesn't support raid error scrubbing.

MD does support raid4 and raid5.  It also supports scrubbing.  (I
don't think they call it scrubbing.  man mdadm should help you.)

LVM (device mapper) does offer raid1 support and in theory could
support scrubbing for that, but my guess is that raid support in
device mapper is just very immature and it has no real reason for not
being supported.

Greg