* git svn clone failing
@ 2011-02-14 17:24 Vampire
From: Vampire @ 2011-02-14 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm trying to issue the following command:

git svn clone --stdlayout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/ .

But unfortunately this fails after some time with the message:

RA layer request failed: Server sent unexpected return value (403
Forbidden) in response to REPORT request for
'/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default' at /usr/lib/git-core/git-svn line 4354

Regards
Björn

* Re: git svn clone failing
@ 2011-02-18 12:56 ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-02-18 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vampire; +Cc: git

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 18:24 +0100, Vampire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to issue the following command:
>
> git svn clone --stdlayout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/ .
>
> But unfortunately this fails after some time with the message:
>
> RA layer request failed: Server sent unexpected return value (403
> Forbidden) in response to REPORT request for
> '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default' at /usr/lib/git-core/git-svn line 4354
>
> Regards
> Björn

Björn,
Have you made sure your subversion client is up-to-date? Does this work
as a plain svn clone? Have you contacted the server admin?
Without context we cannot act on this.

--
-Drew Northup
"As opposed to vegetable or mineral error?"

* Re: git svn clone failing
@ 2011-02-18 14:21   ` Vampire
From: Vampire @ 2011-02-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: git

Hi Drew,

SVN client is in version 1.6.5.
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk .
works fine and without problem.
I guess it is in the phase of searching for history in other places in
the repository and there some place is accessed that is password
protected.
I did not contact the server admin as the normal svn client works fine
and so it seems to be a problem of git-svn, not of the SVN server.
Did you try the command I gave you and does it succeed for you? It is
a publicly available repository so you should be able to reproduce the
problem.

Regards
Björn

@ 2011-02-24 22:44     ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-02-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vampire; +Cc: git

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 15:21 +0100, Vampire wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> SVN client is in version 1.6.5.
> svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk .
> works fine and without problem.
> I guess it is in the phase of searching for history in other places in
> the repository and there some place is accessed that is password
> protected.
> I did not contact the server admin as the normal svn client works fine
> and so it seems to be a problem of git-svn, not of the SVN server.
> Did you try the command I gave you and does it succeed for you? It is
> a publicly available repository so you should be able to reproduce the
> problem.
>
> Regards
> Björn

The error is reproducible, and I'm running a newer subversion client
than you are. It definitely isn't making it through all of the revisions
available before dying.

Checked through r161300
Checked through r161400
RA layer request failed: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to REPORT request for '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc
/default' at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 5131

I forgot to ask, which version git are you running? I am running 1.7.4
on the machine I tried this (RHEL5 RPM, compiled locally).

@ 2011-02-25  0:44       ` Vampire
From: Vampire @ 2011-02-25  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: git

I tried it with 1.6.3.3 and with a self-compiled version from latest git code.

@ 2011-04-03  0:21         ` Vampire
       [not found]           ` <BANLkTin7bxu_XZVYaVy+eXuhcJR83hXSew@mail.gmail.com>
From: Vampire @ 2011-04-03  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: git

Any news on this one?

@ 2011-06-02 12:55             ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-06-02 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vampire; +Cc: git

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:22 +0200, Vampire wrote:
> Drew?

I have no idea. If anybody else on the list does I'd welcome it, but I
don't have any more time I can spend on this.

--

@ 2011-06-02 14:51               ` Vampire
From: Vampire @ 2011-06-02 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: git

It seems to me that this happens while git-svn is searching for history.
As far as I have understood git-svn searches hierarchical higher paths
for history in other places than specified.
I guess while trying to access all those paths some path is tried that
returns 403 Forbidden.
My assumption is that git-svn takes this as cause to abort instead of
ignoring this return state what would be appropriate in this case I
think.

@ 2011-06-02 17:48                 ` Vampire
From: Vampire @ 2011-06-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup, Eric Wong; +Cc: git

Hm, actually I found a workaround.
If I use https instead of http, it works fine.
But I think it should also work with http.

@ 2011-06-28  4:28                   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2011-06-28  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vampire; +Cc: Drew Northup, git

Vampire <Vampire@Masters-of-Disaster.de> wrote:
> Hm, actually I found a workaround.
> If I use https instead of http, it works fine.
> But I think it should also work with http.

This could be a server configuration issue.... More below.

> 2011/6/2 Vampire <Vampire@masters-of-disaster.de>:
> > It seems to me that this happens while git-svn is searching for history.
> > As far as I have understood git-svn searches hierarchical higher paths
> > for history in other places than specified.
> > I guess while trying to access all those paths some path is tried that
> > returns 403 Forbidden.
> > My assumption is that git-svn takes this as cause to abort instead of
> > ignoring this return state what would be appropriate in this case I
> > think.

git svn should be able to avoid following old history with the
--no-follow-parent option.  There's also the --ignore-paths option
which can ignore newer history, too.  I've rarely used either (and
rarely use git-svn nowadays), but one of them should work in case
neither http nor https work

--
Eric Wong