* Read algorithm-raid1/raid10
@ 2011-01-18 13:51 Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-01-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

hi guys, could we implement a load_balance read algorithm for SSD?
nearest head isn't as fast as round robin for ssd.
i'm talking about raid1 (raid10 too)
what's my problem?
as i can see, raid0 is faster than raid1
for example:
two disks raid0 is faster than
two disks raid1.

why?
nearest head
instead of a balanced read algorithm (like raid0) the nearest head
make raid1 use only one disk for searchs where we could use two disks
(like raid0)

could we implement a round robin for ssd? and make raid1 as fast as
raid0 for ssd?
i didn't tested the raid10 algorithm yet.
thanks a lot.

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

* Re: Read algorithm-raid1/raid10
@ 2011-01-18 14:00 ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-01-18 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

like this patch (a long time ago)
http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30003.html

@ 2011-01-18 15:01   ` Keld Jørn Simonsen
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen @ 2011-01-18 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:00:49PM -0200, Roberto Spadim wrote:
> like this patch (a long time ago)
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30003.html
>

> 2011/1/18 Roberto Spadim <roberto@spadim.com.br>:
> > hi guys, could we implement a load_balance read algorithm for SSD?
> > nearest head isn't as fast as round robin for ssd.
> > i'm talking about raid1 (raid10 too)
> > what's my problem?
> > as i can see, raid0 is faster than raid1
> > for example:
> > two disks raid0 is faster than
> > two disks raid1.
> >
> > why?
> > nearest head
> > instead of a balanced read algorithm (like raid0) the nearest head
> > make raid1 use only one disk for searchs where we could use two disks
> > (like raid0)
> >
> > could we implement a round robin for ssd? and make raid1 as fast as
> > raid0 for ssd?
> > i didn't tested the raid10 algorithm yet.
> > thanks a lot.

This should only be in use for SSDs. For disks it would be a waste of IO
bandwidth. How do we detect whether it is a SSSD.
Another way to accomplish an improvement os to use the offset layout of
raid10.

best regards
Keld

* Re: Read algorithm-raid1/raid10
@ 2011-01-18 15:51     ` Mathias Burén
From: Mathias Burén @ 2011-01-18 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keld Jørn Simonsen; +Cc: Roberto Spadim, Linux-RAID

2011/1/18 Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@keldix.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:00:49PM -0200, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>> like this patch (a long time ago)
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30003.html
>>

>> 2011/1/18 Roberto Spadim <roberto@spadim.com.br>:
>> > hi guys, could we implement a load_balance read algorithm for SSD?
>> > nearest head isn't as fast as round robin for ssd.
>> > i'm talking about raid1 (raid10 too)
>> > what's my problem?
>> > as i can see, raid0 is faster than raid1
>> > for example:
>> > two disks raid0 is faster than
>> > two disks raid1.
>> >
>> > why?
>> > nearest head
>> > instead of a balanced read algorithm (like raid0) the nearest head
>> > make raid1 use only one disk for searchs where we could use two disks
>> > (like raid0)
>> >
>> > could we implement a round robin for ssd? and make raid1 as fast as
>> > raid0 for ssd?
>> > i didn't tested the raid10 algorithm yet.
>> > thanks a lot.
>
> This should only be in use for SSDs. For disks it would be a waste of IO
> bandwidth. How do we detect whether it is a SSSD.
> Another way to accomplish an improvement os to use the offset layout of
> raid10.
>
> best regards
> Keld

There is a way to check if the device is an SSD or not; the rotational
queue flag in sysfs. See
http://amailbox.org/mailarchive/git-commits-head/2009/1/30/4859834/thread
.

// Mathias

* Re: Read algorithm-raid1/raid10
@ 2011-01-18 16:15       ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-01-18 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Burén; +Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen, Linux-RAID

yes i found it in my /sys filesystem, a rotational information 0 for
hd 1 for ssd

i write a long time ago a more interesting algorithm but complex... a
minimal time algorithm, it should have information about head position
time, read time (per bit, per byte, per units....) and calculate the
time to make a read in each disk considering that it could be reading
(time to stop read current requestion) and after this get the smallest
time -> the best read performace

if we use only ssd disk today implementation isn´t good, if we use hdd
maybe a good (if we don´t use 7200rpm + 10000rpm + 15000rpm disks), if
we use a mixed ssd+hdd it will not work very good too... this should
be a per disk optimization (minimal time to read) a round robin is a
good feature (for ssd only) but a mixed array should allow minimal
time algorithm

any idea how to implement a round robin and a algorithm (per raid
device) selection using sysfs?
there´s a patch but i didn´t found information about how to patch the
kernel with it
can anyone help me?
thanks

@ 2011-01-18 17:26         ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-01-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Burén; +Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen, Linux-RAID

let´s think about a raid like:

md1 = raid1, /dev/sda (ssd), /dev/sdb (ssd)
md2 = raid1, /dev/sdc (hdd), /dev/sdd (hdd)
md3 = raid0, /dev/md1 (ssd raid), /dev/md2 (hdd raid)

(a raid10 like)

we could make md3 write/read round robin only, and md2/md1 diferent
read/write optimizations