* how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-26 14:20 Bond
From: Bond @ 2010-11-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I am not clear with how do I host my code to git.
Step1 )I have a folder named bond in that I have all my programs which
I want to host on the link
http://code.google.com/p/bond
Step 2) git init
Step 3) git add [B].[/B]
After this what do I need to do?

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-26 15:12 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2010-11-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bond; +Cc: git

Bond venit, vidit, dixit 26.11.2010 15:20:
> I am not clear with how do I host my code to git.
> Step1 )I have a folder named bond in that I have all my programs which
> I want to host on the link
> http://code.google.com/p/bond
> Step 2) git init
> Step 3) git add [B].[/B]
> After this what do I need to do?

You mean a la

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ImportingFromGit

?

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-26 15:21 ` Jan Krüger
From: Jan Krüger @ 2010-11-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bond; +Cc: git

--- Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not clear with how do I host my code to git.

Google Code's project hosting does not officially support git. About the
only thing you can do is to actually host a Subversion repository there
and then access that via git-svn. However, that deprives you of many of
the big advantages of git, such as useful merging and lightning-fast
cloning (compared to Subversion via git-svn, anyway).

I would recommend that you look for a different hosting site. Other
sites offering free git hosting for open source projects include
Sourceforge, github, gitorious and repo.or.cz. Some of these provide
you with instructions on how to push your code to them. In any case,
I think you could benefit from reading a git tutorial or two.

Also, might I recommend that you create one repository per separate
project you want to get hosted. It's bad organization to keep several
projects in the same repository, and it's likely to bite you in the
behind eventually.

HTH,
Jan

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-27  2:50   ` Bond
From: Bond @ 2010-11-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J Gruber; +Cc: git

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Michael J Gruber
<git@drmicha.warpmail.net> wrote:

> http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ImportingFromGit
Your link says
"Naturally, your official source tree lives on some Git-capable server,"
which is not the case.I have it on my local machine and I never used git before.

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-28  4:27     ` Tay Ray Chuan
From: Tay Ray Chuan @ 2010-11-28  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bond; +Cc: Michael J Gruber, git

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Michael J Gruber
> <git@drmicha.warpmail.net> wrote:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ImportingFromGit
> Your link says
> "Naturally, your official source tree lives on some Git-capable server,"
> which is not the case.I have it on my local machine and I never used git before.

You can take "official source tree" and "Git-capable server" to be
your git repo that you git init-ed in your first post. But it's empty
isn't it? So, just skip the "git fetch" step. That leaves:

  $ git svn clone ...
  $ cd trunk

Then go on from there.

--
Cheers,
Ray Chuan

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-28  4:36       ` Bond
From: Bond @ 2010-11-28  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tay Ray Chuan; +Cc: Michael J Gruber, git

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Tay Ray Chuan <rctay89@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> You can take "official source tree" and "Git-capable server" to be
> your git repo that you git init-ed in your first post. But it's empty
> isn't it? So, just skip the "git fetch" step. That leaves:
>
>  $ git svn clone ...
>  $ cd trunk
>
> Then go on from there.
What do I do from that is what I asked in first post of this thread?

* Re: how to git with google code
@ 2010-11-28  7:18         ` Tay Ray Chuan
From: Tay Ray Chuan @ 2010-11-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bond; +Cc: Michael J Gruber, git

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Tay Ray Chuan <rctay89@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> You can take "official source tree" and "Git-capable server" to be
>> your git repo that you git init-ed in your first post. But it's empty
>> isn't it? So, just skip the "git fetch" step. That leaves:
>>
>>  $ git svn clone ...
>>  $ cd trunk
>>
>> Then go on from there.
> What do I do from that is what I asked in first post of this thread?

Assuming you did

  $ git svn clone http://svn.googlecode/url/to/your/repo

You'd have a git repo that is "linked" to the Google Code svn repo.
Now go inside the git repo and do whatever you want. That was what I
thought you were looking for in this thread.

But if you need advice on "how to do stuff in git", (eg. adding files,
commit, push), just google for a git tutorial, I'm sure there are some
pretty good ones out there.

--
Cheers,
Ray Chuan