* IO APIC emulation failure with qemu-kvm
@ 2011-02-04 13:35 Ravi Kumar Kulkarni
From: Ravi Kumar Kulkarni @ 2011-02-04 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: seabios; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm, virtualization

Hi all,
 I'm Initializing the Local and IO APIC for a propeitary operating
system running in Virtualized Environment  .
 Im facing some problem with qemu-kvm  but the code runs fine with qemu.
 when i run my kernel image with qemu-kvm it gives emulation error failure
trying to execute the code outside ROM or RAM at fec00000(IO APIC base address)
but the same code runs fine with qemu. can anyone please point me
where might be the problem or how to find out this one?
Warm Regards,
Ravi Kulkarni.

* Re: IO APIC emulation failure with qemu-kvm
@ 2011-02-07  8:49       ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2011-02-07  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Kumar Kulkarni; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, seabios, qemu-devel, kvm, virtualization

On 02/07/2011 10:33 AM, Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:

>> >  Please post the error message.
>    Im attachin the error message in kvm.txt file  with  above mail.
>    KVM internal error. Suberror: 1
>                                                                      rax 000000000000000d rbx 000000001e2db2a6 rcx 00000000fa4bec19 rdx 0000000000000088
>                            rsi 000000001f4de1ea rdi 0000000000000000 rsp 00000000000c0004 rbp 000000001f464fbb
>                                                                                                               r8  0000000000000000 r9  0000000000000000 r10 0000000000000000 r11 0000000000000000
>                                                                     r12 0000000000000000 r13 0000000000000000 r14 0000000000000000 r15 0000000000000000
>                           rip 000000001e2f3f7b rflags 00010097
>                                                               cs 0008 (00000000/ffffffff p 1 dpl 0 db 1 s 1 type b l 0 g

What's the guest code at rip 0x1e2f3f7b ?

* Re: IO APIC emulation failure with qemu-kvm
@ 2011-02-04 13:58 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-02-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Kumar Kulkarni; +Cc: seabios, qemu-devel, kvm, virtualization

On 2011-02-04 14:35, Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I'm Initializing the Local and IO APIC for a propeitary operating
> system running in Virtualized Environment  .
>  Im facing some problem with qemu-kvm  but the code runs fine with qemu.

Does it also run fine with qemu-kvm and -no-kvm-irqchip? What versions
of the kernel and qemu-kvm are you using? If not the latest git, does
updating change the picture?

>  when i run my kernel image with qemu-kvm it gives emulation error failure
> trying to execute the code outside ROM or RAM at fec00000(IO APIC base address)
> but the same code runs fine with qemu. can anyone please point me
> where might be the problem or how to find out this one?

Start with capturing the activity of you guest via ftrace, enabling all
kvm:* events. You may also try to attach gdb to qemu and analyze the
different code path in both versions (specifically if you have debugging
symbols for your guest).

BTW, is your OS doing any fancy [IO]APIC relocations?

Jan

From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-02-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Kumar Kulkarni; +Cc: seabios, qemu-devel, kvm, virtualization