* RE: Temporarily Disable Array
       [not found] <AANLkTiktOdqq5Y3OWvU5dusDy+t_guEo88jm=DN-HnR8@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-02-08  0:14 ` Leslie Rhorer
From: Leslie Rhorer @ 2011-02-08  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hansbkk; +Cc: 'Linux RAID'

	I did, but it didn't work as I had planned.  About a year ago, I ran
across a bug that had caused the homehost field on the arrays to gave a pair
of single quote marks in it.  Upon upgrade of mdadm, this causes the
automatic assembly of the RAID arrays to fail.  I thought I had fixed the
issue on all the arrays, but evidently not.  When I tried the upgrade, it
failed to boot.  I never even thought about the problem with the quote marks
until I finally ran it to ground.  If I had thought of the issue, it would
have been fine, and I would have fixed it in a matter of minutes.  As it
was, it took me two days to find the problem, because every time I would
move down one avenue for recovery, something else would prohibit me from
getting the system into a state where troubleshooting was practical.  In the
mean time, all four arrays on the system suffered some fairly dastardly
abuse.  They all survived, however, if not entirely intact, then at least
with no more damage than could easily be fixed.  Most importantly, there was
no loss of data, other than a couple of battered superblocks and one small
array that had to be rebuilt.

	There was also one small issue with the boot array.  GRUB2 was able
to assemble it just fine so as to get through the boot, but then the array
would not assemble for the kernel.  It turned out the newer mdadm was
insisting the metadata statement say, "0.90", instead of "0.9" in
mdadm.conf.

@ 2011-02-09 19:08   ` hansbkk
From: hansbkk @ 2011-02-09 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lrhorer; +Cc: Linux RAID

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> From: hansbkk@gmail.com [mailto:hansbkk@gmail.com]
>> FFR did you do this and did it work?
>
>        I did, but it didn't work as I had planned.  About a year ago, I ran
> across a bug that had caused the homehost field on the arrays to gave a pair

Thanks for the update Leslie.  Assuming your specific issues didn't
arise, is this checklist complete, or did you find you needed to do
something else to prevent auto-assembly?

------------------------------

@ 2011-02-10  0:37     ` Leslie Rhorer
From: Leslie Rhorer @ 2011-02-10  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hansbkk; +Cc: 'Linux RAID'

	I really don't know, for certain.  I was having so many other
issues, I'm not sure if this would have been entirely sufficient, or not.  I
think so, but I could not swear to it.

> the

> point
> >> for