* How to import bzr repository into git
       [not found] <AANLkTinVrwkOvYgGFX3S2530jfWnrAP28gVm4te1B4sC@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-16 19:57 ` Dmitri Pissarenko
From: Dmitri Pissarenko @ 2010-11-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello!

I want to migrate one of my projects from Bazaar to git, preserving the history.

How can I do that in Windows (import an existing Bazaar project into a
new/empty git repository) ?

Thanks in advance

Dmitri

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-16 20:05   ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2010-11-16 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Pissarenko; +Cc: git

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 20:57, Dmitri Pissarenko
<dmitri.pissarenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to migrate one of my projects from Bazaar to git, preserving the history.

Have you looked at some of the migration tools already?

Which ones? Why do you think they work / don't work for you?

> How can I do that in Windows (import an existing Bazaar project into a
> new/empty git repository) ?

You don't need to do it on Windows. You can install VirtualBox + Linux
for free and do it there. That's probably easier in some cases than
porting the relevant software to Windows.

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-17  0:22   ` Gabriel Filion
From: Gabriel Filion @ 2010-11-17  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Pissarenko; +Cc: git

On 11/16/2010 02:57 PM, Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to migrate one of my projects from Bazaar to git, preserving the history.
>
> How can I do that in Windows (import an existing Bazaar project into a
> new/empty git repository) ?

Have a look at "bzr-fastimport" [1]. it's a Bazaar plugin that can help
you to transform the bzr history into a git one.

[1]: https://launchpad.net/bzr-fastimport

I haven't done a lot of testing with shared-tree Bazaar repositories (a
repository with multiple branches in it) but I suspect it would not work
very well with such a layout.. If you're doing a one-time conversion of
a one-branch repository, it works pretty well.

Once Bazaar and the bzr-fastimport plugin are installed, you mostly need
to run those commands :

    git init project
    cd project
    bzr fast-export --export-marks=../bzr.mark /path/to/old/bzr/project
| git-fast-import --export-marks=../git.mark

you now have, in the new git project, a "master" branch with all the
history from the bzr repository and all tags.

--
Gabriel Filion

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-18 14:34     ` Dmitri Pissarenko
From: Dmitri Pissarenko @ 2010-11-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Filion; +Cc: git

Hello!

Thanks for your answers!

However, I had to give up this idea due to an "out of memory" error
during bzr-export.

Best regards

@ 2010-11-18 15:25       ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2010-11-18 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Pissarenko; +Cc: Gabriel Filion, git

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 15:34, Dmitri Pissarenko
<dmitri.pissarenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I had to give up this idea due to an "out of memory" error
> during bzr-export.

Buy more memory or use more swap?

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-18 16:37         ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2010-11-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
  Cc: Dmitri Pissarenko, Gabriel Filion, git, bzr-fastimport

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 15:34, Dmitri Pissarenko
> <dmitri.pissarenko@gmail.com> wrote:

>> However, I had to give up this idea due to an "out of memory" error
>> during bzr-export.
>
> Buy more memory or use more swap?

Or report it as a bug/wanted feature?

Cc-ing Jelmer Vernooij in the hope that he might be able to point you
to the right person for that.

Thanks,
Jonathan

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-18 16:38           ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2010-11-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
  Cc: Dmitri Pissarenko, Gabriel Filion, git, bzr-fastimport

Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 15:34, Dmitri Pissarenko
>> <dmitri.pissarenko@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> However, I had to give up this idea due to an "out of memory" error
>>> during bzr-export.
>>
>> Buy more memory or use more swap?
>
> Or report it as a bug/wanted feature?
>
> Cc-ing Jelmer Vernooij in the hope that he might be able to point
> to the right person for that.

This time with a valid email address (sorry for the noise).

* Re: How to import bzr repository into git
@ 2010-11-19 21:34             ` Gabriel Filion
From: Gabriel Filion @ 2010-11-19 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Nieder
  Cc: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, Dmitri Pissarenko, git,
	bzr-fastimport

On 11/18/2010 11:38 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

>>> Buy more memory or use more swap?
>>
>> Or report it as a bug/wanted feature?
>>
>> Cc-ing Jelmer Vernooij in the hope that he might be able to point
>> to the right person for that.
>
> This time with a valid email address (sorry for the noise).

right! I did see this with this particular workflow:

bzr branch lp:bzr
git init bzr.git
cd bzr.git
bzr fast-export ../bzr | git fast-import

the weird thing is that using fastimport directly with the lp:bzr
address (not "logged in" to launchpad, so in practice via HTTP) instead
of a local copy of the directory took a very long time but worked.

So I guess there's probably a memory leak when using local files.

other than bzr-fastimport, there is also bzr-git, which seems to support
some form of pushing (bzr dpush).

There are also mentions, in different discussions, of tailor:

http://wiki.darcs.net/RelatedSoftware/Tailor

And finally, the git wiki mentions BzrToGit

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools#BzrToGit

However, I have not thoroughly tested these tools and I have yet to find
something that works right in all cases. If you give these tools a try,
I'd be glad to hear about your experience with them.

--
Gabriel Filion