* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-10 19:02 Douglas Lopes Pereira
From: Douglas Lopes Pereira @ 2010-06-10 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

I need some help here...

I'm working on adding a driver for KSZ8841 ethernet controller which I found
at this forum: blackfin.uclinux.org.

I was looking at the mail list archive and found a message from Prafulla
answering Raphael Amorin.

Mr. Prafulla suggested him to add the input code into drivers/net/phy/ and
public interfaces in netdev.h

Since drivers/net/phy/ does not exist anymore, I'm assuming that input code
should go to drivers/net/ instead.

But what about the public interfaces (aka. eth_init, eth_send)? Where should
it go?

Thanks for your time,
Best regards,
Douglas

[tags: KSZ8841; KSZ8842; KSZ884X; KS8841; KS8842; KS884X; Micrel; Ethernet
Controller]

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-10 19:18 ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-06-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 6/10/2010 12:02 PM, Douglas Lopes Pereira wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some help here...
>
> I'm working on adding a driver for KSZ8841 ethernet controller which I found
> at this forum: blackfin.uclinux.org.
>
> I was looking at the mail list archive and found a message from Prafulla
> answering Raphael Amorin.
>
> Mr. Prafulla suggested him to add the input code into drivers/net/phy/ and
> public interfaces in netdev.h
>
> Since drivers/net/phy/ does not exist anymore, I'm assuming that input code
> should go to drivers/net/ instead.

Huh? drivers/net/phy does exist...  But the KS8841 is a MAC/PHY, so
belongs in driver/net proper.
> But what about the public interfaces (aka. eth_init, eth_send)? Where should
> it go?

You're using an out-of-date API.  Please read the documentation
(doc/README.drivers.eth)

I actually wrote a driver for this controller a few years ago, but
didn't submit it because at the time it didn't make sense to submit my
board and we don't allow bare drivers (ones for which there is no
in-tree board).  If you'd like, I can clean up the driver and send it to
you, and then put it in the tree.  Unfortunately I don't have hardware
to test it on anymore.
> Thanks for your time,
> Best regards,
> Douglas

regards,
Ben

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-10 19:56   ` Douglas Lopes Pereira
From: Douglas Lopes Pereira @ 2010-06-10 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Ben,

thanks for the quick reply.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Ben Warren <biggerbadderben@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 6/10/2010 12:02 PM, Douglas Lopes Pereira wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need some help here...
>>
>> I'm working on adding a driver for KSZ8841 ethernet controller which I
>> found
>> at this forum: blackfin.uclinux.org.
>>
>> I was looking at the mail list archive and found a message from Prafulla
>> answering Raphael Amorin.
>>
>> Mr. Prafulla suggested him to add the input code into drivers/net/phy/ and
>> public interfaces in netdev.h
>>
>> Since drivers/net/phy/ does not exist anymore, I'm assuming that input
>> code
>> should go to drivers/net/ instead.
>>

> Huh? drivers/net/phy does exist...  But the KS8841 is a MAC/PHY, so belongs
> in driver/net proper.
>
>  But what about the public interfaces (aka. eth_init, eth_send)? Where
>> should
>> it go?
>>

> You're using an out-of-date API.  Please read the documentation
> (doc/README.drivers.eth)

I will take a look at the documentation.

> I actually wrote a driver for this controller a few years ago, but didn't
> submit it because at the time it didn't make sense to submit my board and we
> don't allow bare drivers (ones for which there is no in-tree board).  If
> you'd like, I can clean up the driver and send it to you, and then put it in
> the tree.  Unfortunately I don't have hardware to test it on anymore.

If it is not taking much of your effort, I would appreciate to have a
path/copy of the driver.

>  Thanks for your time,
>> Best regards,
>> Douglas
>>

> regards,
> Ben

Thank again,
Regards,
Douglas

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-13  2:35   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2010-06-13  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Ben Warren wrote:
> Huh? drivers/net/phy does exist... ?But the KS8841 is a MAC/PHY, so
> belongs in driver/net proper.

unrelated, but the current phy/ subdir isnt a phylib setup like linux, right ?
-mike

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-13  4:18     ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-06-13  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Ben Warren wrote:
> > Huh? drivers/net/phy does exist...  But the KS8841 is a MAC/PHY, so
> > belongs in driver/net proper.
>
> unrelated, but the current phy/ subdir isnt a phylib setup like linux,
> right ?

Not yet.

> -mike

--Ben

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-15 14:24       ` Douglas Lopes Pereira
From: Douglas Lopes Pereira @ 2010-06-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

I managed to get KS8841 driver recognized by u-boot. But I'm certain that it
was not in the correct way.

The driver I've found on BlackFin forum was written for a 2008 u-boot
version and we are working on a 1.3.1 (very old) version. So I just modify
some function calls.

The problem is that the KS8841 driver does not have a ks884x_initialize
function. So we created it. All it does is create and fill an eth_device
structure. Register it using eth_register function and them it should
initialize the PHY (that is what I suppose it should do).

Since I am not sure on how to do that, I just called the ks884x_init
function.

It ends in a TRAP message just after the Micrel device being printed at the
console.

Could anyone point me out some directions to get my driver correctly
initialized?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Douglas

@ 2010-06-15 16:14         ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-06-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Douglas,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Douglas Lopes Pereira <
douglaslopespereira@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I managed to get KS8841 driver recognized by u-boot. But I'm certain that
> it was not in the correct way.
>
> The driver I've found on BlackFin forum was written for a 2008 u-boot
> version and we are working on a 1.3.1 (very old) version. So I just modify
> some function calls.
>
> The problem is that the KS8841 driver does not have a ks884x_initialize
> function. So we created it. All it does is create and fill an eth_device
> structure. Register it using eth_register function and them it should
> initialize the PHY (that is what I suppose it should do).
>
> Since I am not sure on how to do that, I just called the ks884x_init
> function.
>
> It ends in a TRAP message just after the Micrel device being printed at the
> console.
>
> Could anyone point me out some directions to get my driver correctly
> initialized?
>
> Looks like that driver's using the old API.  I have my new one almost
finished and will send it to you today.  Hopefully debugging it will be
trivial.

> Thanks for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Douglas
>
> regards,
Ben

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-22 23:44           ` Steve Sakoman
From: Steve Sakoman @ 2010-06-22 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Ben Warren <biggerbadderben@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Douglas Lopes Pereira <
> douglaslopespereira at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I managed to get KS8841 driver recognized by u-boot. But I'm certain that
>> it was not in the correct way.
>>
>> The driver I've found on BlackFin forum was written for a 2008 u-boot
>> version and we are working on a 1.3.1 (very old) version. So I just modify
>> some function calls.
>>
>> The problem is that the KS8841 driver does not have a ks884x_initialize
>> function. So we created it. All it does is create and fill an eth_device
>> structure. Register it using eth_register function and them it should
>> initialize the PHY (that is what I suppose it should do).
>>
>> Since I am not sure on how to do that, I just called the ks884x_init
>> function.
>>
>> It ends in a TRAP message just after the Micrel device being printed at the
>> console.
>>
>> Could anyone point me out some directions to get my driver correctly
>> initialized?
>>
>> Looks like that driver's using the old API. ?I have my new one almost
> finished and will send it to you today. ?Hopefully debugging it will be
> trivial.

I've just started looking at doing a KS8851 driver (on SPI) for one of
the OMAP4 boards.

Did you start from scratch with the KS8841 driver or did you begin
with Micrel sample code?

The Micrel sample u-boot driver clearly can't be used as is since it
doesn't even come close to following the coding style guidelines
(CamelCase, etc) and is for an older u-boot revision.

I'm debating whether it makes more sense to correct the coding style
on the vendor code, or just start from scratch.  Any advice based on
your experience?

Steve

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-23  0:26             ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-06-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Steve,

On 6/22/2010 4:44 PM, Steve Sakoman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Ben Warren<biggerbadderben@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Douglas,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Douglas Lopes Pereira<
>> douglaslopespereira at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I managed to get KS8841 driver recognized by u-boot. But I'm certain that
>>> it was not in the correct way.
>>>
>>> The driver I've found on BlackFin forum was written for a 2008 u-boot
>>> version and we are working on a 1.3.1 (very old) version. So I just modify
>>> some function calls.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the KS8841 driver does not have a ks884x_initialize
>>> function. So we created it. All it does is create and fill an eth_device
>>> structure. Register it using eth_register function and them it should
>>> initialize the PHY (that is what I suppose it should do).
>>>
>>> Since I am not sure on how to do that, I just called the ks884x_init
>>> function.
>>>
>>> It ends in a TRAP message just after the Micrel device being printed at the
>>> console.
>>>
>>> Could anyone point me out some directions to get my driver correctly
>>> initialized?
>>>
>>> Looks like that driver's using the old API.  I have my new one almost
>>>
>> finished and will send it to you today.  Hopefully debugging it will be
>> trivial.
>>
> I've just started looking at doing a KS8851 driver (on SPI) for one of
> the OMAP4 boards.
>
> Did you start from scratch with the KS8841 driver or did you begin
> with Micrel sample code?
>
> The Micrel sample u-boot driver clearly can't be used as is since it
> doesn't even come close to following the coding style guidelines
> (CamelCase, etc) and is for an older u-boot revision.
>
> I'm debating whether it makes more sense to correct the coding style
> on the vendor code, or just start from scratch.  Any advice based on
> your experience?

A few years ago I wrote a driver for KS8841 and got it working (16-bit
memory-mapped on PowerPC).  I started with the Micrel driver, but as you
know it's pretty ugly.  Last week I dusted off that old driver and got
it to compile with the latest U-boot, but wasn't able to test it because
the company that I worked for is long gone.  It's hopefully close to
functional, but still has too many style issues to post publicly.  I
sent the driver to Douglas off-line, and am awaiting feedback.  If you'd
like, I can send it to you too.  It'd be nice to have a single driver
that handles different chips, but with configurable accessors.
> Steve

regards,
Ben

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-23  1:39               ` Douglas Lopes Pereira
From: Douglas Lopes Pereira @ 2010-06-23  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Ben,

I was able to integrate your driver to u-boot and load it on my PowerPC
board.
Since the device was not recognized, I started debugging it and found some
hardware issues.

For some reason we are not able to change the bank registers by writing the
bank number into 30e address. Ps. I'm writing directly to the memory, so it
not driver related.

Hardware team is still working on that and once it is fixed, we will be able
to test your driver.

Steve, if you have any success on using Ben's driver or if I can be of any
help, please let me know.

Regards,
Douglas

@ 2010-06-23  2:25               ` Steve Sakoman
From: Steve Sakoman @ 2010-06-23  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Ben Warren <biggerbadderben@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few years ago I wrote a driver for KS8841 and got it working (16-bit
> memory-mapped on PowerPC). ?I started with the Micrel driver, but as you
> know it's pretty ugly. ?Last week I dusted off that old driver and got it to
> compile with the latest U-boot, but wasn't able to test it because the
> company that I worked for is long gone. ?It's hopefully close to functional,
> but still has too many style issues to post publicly. ?I sent the driver to
> Douglas off-line, and am awaiting feedback. ?If you'd like, I can send it to
> you too. ?It'd be nice to have a single driver that handles different chips,
> but with configurable accessors.

Yes, please send me a copy!  I'll take a look and see if it looks like
it will work with the 8851.

I agree it would be quite nice if we could have a single driver.

Steve

* [U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL
@ 2010-06-29 15:08                 ` Douglas Lopes Pereira
From: Douglas Lopes Pereira @ 2010-06-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Steve.

Did you succeed on running the driver for KS8841? Did you have to change
anything?

We are debugging it and some modifications might be necessary for our
platform.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Douglas

@ 2010-07-01 17:25                   ` Steve Sakoman
From: Steve Sakoman @ 2010-07-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Douglas Lopes Pereira
<douglaslopespereira@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve.
> Did you succeed on running the driver for KS8841? Did you have to change
> anything?
> We are debugging it and some modifications might be necessary for our
> platform.

Well, after taking a  look at the KS8841 driver it didn't look like
the KS8851 was software compatible.

I'm waiting for a response from Micrel regarding their sample KS8851
u-boot driver code.  After I hear back from them I'll put together
some sort of plan, but things are on hold till they respond.

Steve

@ 2010-07-02  1:00                     ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-07-02  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Steve,

On 7/1/2010 10:25 AM, Steve Sakoman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Douglas Lopes Pereira
> <douglaslopespereira@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve.
>> Did you succeed on running the driver for KS8841? Did you have to change
>> anything?
>> We are debugging it and some modifications might be necessary for our
>> platform.
>>
> Well, after taking a  look at the KS8841 driver it didn't look like
> the KS8851 was software compatible.
>
> I'm waiting for a response from Micrel regarding their sample KS8851
> u-boot driver code.  After I hear back from them I'll put together
> some sort of plan, but things are on hold till they respond.

Good luck with that.  I predict that you will learn nothing new.  Is the
register layout different on the KS8851, or just the physical link (SPI
vs memory bus)?

regards,
Ben