* coding process
@ 2010-08-24 15:31 Wes James
From: Wes James @ 2010-08-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I am working with git and I'm wondering if coding like the following
is a good way to manage code:

create code then commit
when a good set up code is ready push to master
create a branch
create code then commit
when code is good, merge and push to master

Anyone else have a procedure they go through when managing code?

thx,

-wes

* Re: coding process
@ 2010-08-24 17:28 ` Jared Hance
From: Jared Hance @ 2010-08-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 09:31:21AM -0600, Wes James wrote:
> I am working with git and I'm wondering if coding like the following
> is a good way to manage code:
>
> create code then commit
> when a good set up code is ready push to master
> create a branch
> create code then commit
> when code is good, merge and push to master
>
> Anyone else have a procedure they go through when managing code?
>
> thx,
>
> -wes

>From what you say, it sounds like you are using topic branches, which
are always a good way to manage code. You might want to consider using
release branches (like how git.git has "master", "next", and "maint").

I'm not sure what you mean by "push to master". You don't push to a
branch. You push to a repository. I guess you mean pushing to the
"official" or "blessed" repository?

Also, sending patches to an email before merging to master is a
good idea to get code review.

* Re: coding process
@ 2010-08-24 17:53   ` Wes James
From: Wes James @ 2010-08-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hance; +Cc: git

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Jared Hance <jaredhance@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 09:31:21AM -0600, Wes James wrote:
>> I am working with git and I'm wondering if coding like the following
>> is a good way to manage code:
>>
>> create code then commit
>> when a good set up code is ready push to master
>> create a branch
>> create code then commit
>> when code is good, merge and push to master
>>
>> Anyone else have a procedure they go through when managing code?
>>
>> thx,
>>
>> -wes
>
> From what you say, it sounds like you are using topic branches, which
> are always a good way to manage code. You might want to consider using
> release branches (like how git.git has "master", "next", and "maint").
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "push to master". You don't push to a
> branch. You push to a repository. I guess you mean pushing to the
> "official" or "blessed" repository?

I meant when I do "git push origin master" - yes push to repo

> Also, sending patches to an email before merging to master is a
> good idea to get code review.

Ok.

Thx for the input.

-wes