* Hint for rebase in progress
@ 2011-02-18  8:12 Jeenu V
From: Jeenu V @ 2011-02-18  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I was once in the middle of an interactive rebase, editing a commit
and happened to do a git status. I could see that Git warns in red
color "Not currently on any branch". Similarly, git branch said "* (no
branch)". Having gone this far, wouldn't it be helpful for Git to also
remind "Rebase in progress" or something like that, some where in
these hints? Since git status is meant to display the current status
of the tree, I think it's only apt for it to report so.

Because, once in a active rebase session, I think there's no command
which tells user that an interactive session is in progress (or is
there?); gitk doesn't help either. If the user happens to take a break
or something, it might be bit perplexing to figure out where he was,
why it was (seeing the working directory headless).

--
Jeenu

* Re: Hint for rebase in progress
@ 2011-02-18  9:07 ` Stefan Naewe
From: Stefan Naewe @ 2011-02-18  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeenu V; +Cc: git

On 2/18/2011 9:12 AM, Jeenu V wrote:
> I was once in the middle of an interactive rebase, editing a commit
> and happened to do a git status. I could see that Git warns in red
> color "Not currently on any branch". Similarly, git branch said "* (no
> branch)". Having gone this far, wouldn't it be helpful for Git to also
> remind "Rebase in progress" or something like that, some where in
> these hints? Since git status is meant to display the current status
> of the tree, I think it's only apt for it to report so.
>
> Because, once in a active rebase session, I think there's no command
> which tells user that an interactive session is in progress (or is
> there?); gitk doesn't help either. If the user happens to take a break
> or something, it might be bit perplexing to figure out where he was,
> why it was (seeing the working directory headless).

Look in $OFFICIAL-GIT-REPO/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash.
Set your 'PS1' as explained there and you will see at your command
prompt if you're currently rebasing.

HTH,
  Stefan
/dev/random says: URA Redneck if you own a homemade fur coat.