* [Buildroot] building for x86
@ 2011-01-27  5:27 Ravi Chemudugunta
From: Ravi Chemudugunta @ 2011-01-27  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello, I am new here!

I am wanting to compile for an x86 target, and my host system is also
x86, is it advisable to try and use the tool chain that comes with the
distribution? (Debian Lenny).

I tried to do this by selecting external and getting rid of the
prefix, however I get errors like the following:

-gcc command not found, my guess is that buildroot expects the
'arch-platform-' format.

I am assuming it would be easy enough to hack the make files so they
don't affix an '-', however I am wondering whether this is even a good
idea.  For example what happens at the staging to target area when for
e.g. libc needs to be copied?

cheers,

-ravi

--
C-x C-s, C-x C-c

* [Buildroot] building for x86
@ 2011-01-27  7:33 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2011-01-27  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Ravi,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:27:17 +1300
Ravi Chemudugunta <chemuduguntar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wanting to compile for an x86 target, and my host system is also
> x86, is it advisable to try and use the tool chain that comes with the
> distribution? (Debian Lenny).
>
> I tried to do this by selecting external and getting rid of the
> prefix, however I get errors like the following:
>
> -gcc command not found, my guess is that buildroot expects the
> 'arch-platform-' format.
>
> I am assuming it would be easy enough to hack the make files so they
> don't affix an '-', however I am wondering whether this is even a good
> idea.  For example what happens at the staging to target area when for
> e.g. libc needs to be copied?

Definitely, using the host toolchain (that comes with the distribution)
as an external toolchain isn't supported.

For the external toolchain support, we need a "pure" toolchain, i.e a
toolchain with just the compiler, the binutils and the C and C++
libraries, because we copy the complete toolchain sysroot into
Buildroot's staging area. And the complete toolchain sysroot of your
host toolchain is /, which means that it would copy all your system
into Buildroot's staging directory.

So if you want to build a system for x86 with Buildroot and an external
toolchain, my recommandation would be to build a pure toolchain with
Crosstool-NG.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] building for x86
@ 2011-01-27  7:55   ` Ravi Chemudugunta
From: Ravi Chemudugunta @ 2011-01-27  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply,

I am baking a cross-ng toolchain right now.

cheers,

-ravi

--
C-x C-s, C-x C-c