* [Bridge] vlan interface egress port
@ 2011-02-02  8:02 Sinbad
From: Sinbad @ 2011-02-02  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

hi,

suppose a vlan has 3 member ports and vlan is configured as an l3 interface
and if data is suppose to go out using that vlan interface, which physical
port
will be chosen among the 3 member ports ?

thanks

* Re: [Bridge] vlan interface egress port
@ 2011-02-02  8:23 ` Nicolas de Pesloüan
From: Nicolas de Pesloüan @ 2011-02-02  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sinbad; +Cc: bridge

Le 02/02/2011 09:02, Sinbad a écrit :
> hi,
>
> suppose a vlan has 3 member ports and vlan is configured as an l3 interface
> and if data is suppose to go out using that vlan interface, which
> physical port
> will be chosen among the 3 member ports ?

Can you describe your configuration a little bit more (possibly using the commands used to setup
that configuration)?

	Nicolas.

* Re: [Bridge] vlan interface egress port
@ 2011-02-02 12:04   ` Sinbad
From: Sinbad @ 2011-02-02 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas de Pesloüan; +Cc: bridge

hi,

suppose my config is as below.

 # brctl addbr mybridge
 # brctl addif mybridge eth0
 # brctl addif mybridge eth1
 # ifconfig mybridge up
 # ifconfig mybridge 192.168.100.5 netmask 255.255.255.0

now if the an l3 packet has to egress from mybridge
which port will be chosen ?

thanks

@ 2011-02-02 14:42     ` richardvoigt
From: richardvoigt @ 2011-02-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sinbad; +Cc: bridge

It depends on the destination MAC field in the L2 header of the
outgoing packet (which got filled in from the kernel routing table)

@ 2011-02-02 14:46       ` richardvoigt
From: richardvoigt @ 2011-02-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sinbad; +Cc: bridge

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM, richardvoigt@gmail.com
<richardvoigt@gmail.com> wrote:
> It depends on the destination MAC field in the L2 header of the
> outgoing packet (which got filled in from the kernel routing table)

Actually I should say it gets filled in during the routing process.
The MAC address actually comes from the ARP table, but which ARP entry
is used is determined by routing.

@ 2011-02-02 18:54         ` Nicolas de Pesloüan
From: Nicolas de Pesloüan @ 2011-02-02 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sinbad; +Cc: bridge

Le 02/02/2011 15:46, richardvoigt@gmail.com a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM, richardvoigt@gmail.com
> <richardvoigt@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It depends on the destination MAC field in the L2 header of the
>> outgoing packet (which got filled in from the kernel routing table)
>
> Actually I should say it gets filled in during the routing process.
> The MAC address actually comes from the ARP table, but which ARP entry
> is used is determined by routing.

1/ Routing will decide which IP is the next hop.
2/ ARP table will convert this IP into a MAC address.
3/ The bridge code will decide which port to use, based on whether it learned this MAC address on
any port or not. This is the normal behavior of any bridge/switch.

- If the bridge learned this MAC address, it will forward the packet to this port only.
- If the bridge didn't learned this MAC address, it forward the packet to all ports.

To display the currently learned MAC address and associated port, use brctl showmacs <bridge_name>

	Nicolas.