* Is it feasible to add another driver for CCIC?
@ 2010-07-21  3:06 Jun Nie
From: Jun Nie @ 2010-07-21  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guennadi Liakhovetski, Hans Verkuil, linux-media

Hi,
    I am working on CCIC camera controller driver and want to push it
into kernel. This CCIC IP is similar with IP of cafe_ccic, but with
lots of change: no I2C bus, embedded in SOC/no PCI, support both
parallel and CSI interface. So some register definition changes.
    I just want to confirm that a new driver for SOC CCIC is
acceptable for community.
    Thanks!

Jun

* Re: Is it feasible to add another driver for CCIC?
@ 2010-07-21 13:45 ` Guennadi Liakhovetski
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski @ 2010-07-21 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Nie; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Jun Nie wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am working on CCIC camera controller driver and want to push it
> into kernel. This CCIC IP is similar with IP of cafe_ccic, but with
> lots of change: no I2C bus, embedded in SOC/no PCI, support both
> parallel and CSI interface. So some register definition changes.
>     I just want to confirm that a new driver for SOC CCIC is
> acceptable for community.
>     Thanks!

Well, if there is a well defined common "core" of the both
implementations, e.g., common register set (or at least most of them),
then, I think, it would make sense to split the current cafe_ccic, extract
that core and reuse it... It is always an interesting decision, whether
two devices are similar enough or not.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/

* Re: Is it feasible to add another driver for CCIC?
@ 2010-07-22  2:49   ` Jun Nie
From: Jun Nie @ 2010-07-22  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guennadi Liakhovetski; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

2010/7/21 Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@gmx.de>:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Jun Nie wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I am working on CCIC camera controller driver and want to push it
>> into kernel. This CCIC IP is similar with IP of cafe_ccic, but with
>> lots of change: no I2C bus, embedded in SOC/no PCI, support both
>> parallel and CSI interface. So some register definition changes.
>>     I just want to confirm that a new driver for SOC CCIC is
>> acceptable for community.
>>     Thanks!
>
> Well, if there is a well defined common "core" of the both
> implementations, e.g., common register set (or at least most of them),
> then, I think, it would make sense to split the current cafe_ccic, extract
> that core and reuse it... It is always an interesting decision, whether
> two devices are similar enough or not.
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
> http://www.open-technology.de/

    DVP parallel part registers are 90% same, about 40% same for all
registers with about 5% conflict. My main concern is that cafe_ccic
driver structure and application usage is much simple and have no DMA
chain while SOC CCIC should support soc_camera/DMA chain/user pointer.
So it will take much effort to share DVP settings, such as image size
and HSYNC_PO/VSYNC_PO, etc.
    Is there any existing drivers with such similar abstraction for
decision making reference?

Thanks
Jun