* testing branch 2010-08-30
       [not found] <AANLkTinuQnnOAh62GF+v0TzU8mRj1F+m1YGi6DdohNmr@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-08-31 11:05 ` Cliff Brake
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Cliff Brake @ 2010-08-31 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-08-31 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/8/31 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com>:
> sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

Cliff, thanks for resending.
It indeed didn't make it or I overlooked it.

I'm planning to set up a build for neek (nios2) /minimal/console-image
(and/or nios2/angstrom/console-image) or our autobuilder, but didn't
get to it.
Also I might see if I can set up a build for ipx4xx (probably using
nslu2 as target) and console-image + cairo + pango (which drags in
lots of other stuff.

Frans

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-08-31 22:09   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2010-08-31 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 08/31/2010 05:05 AM, Cliff Brake wrote:
> sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

Did you have some machine/distro/image combos in mind?  I can put some
of my machines on this if I know what to build.

Right now, I'm attempting
   MACHINE=qemuarm
   DISTRO=angstrom-2010.x
   IMAGE=opie-kdepim-image
I'm not sure if this combination makes sense, but I thought I'd see
what happens.

> Ideas on how to make this better are appreciated.
>
> One change from last week -- I renamed the testing-testing branch to
> testing-next as I think that is a little more descriptive.
>
> The testing-next branch has been updated for the next testing cycle,
> and is ready for builds.  Please see
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Testing if you would like to
> contribute tested combinations.
>
> Thanks,
> Cliff
>
> --
> =================
> http://bec-systems.com

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 18:09   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-09-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 18:35     ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-01 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/9/1 Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl>:

> On 31-08-10 13:05, Cliff Brake wrote:
>> sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

Yes. Good idea. Feel free to add it.

Frans

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 21:16     ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2010-09-01 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On 31-08-10 13:05, Cliff Brake wrote:
>> sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

Thanks for the ideas, and we need to look into using Tinderbox more.
One thing I don't want to loose is the following:

1) a simple table where users can quickly get an idea of what should
build.  It would take some work to get this extracted from the noise
in Tinderbox, though not impossible

2) I'm afraid if we don't have a somewhat manual process with a known
test cycle, pretty soon people will just drop off and quit running
test cycles, especially if there is no easy visibility of results
(speaking to myself first).  How do we keep from getting lazy as
testing is generally not a lot of fun?

3) it will still be some manual work to maintain the "testing" branch
that is buildable for most tested platforms.

To me the biggest problem is actually getting a significant number of
people running test builds, and summarizing these results in a easy
form.  Everything else is secondary at this point.  Going forward, I
would like to automate where we can using tinderbox, etc.

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=================
http://bec-systems.com

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 21:23       ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-01 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

For what it is worth.
I've gotten permission from my company to put a few builds on our
autobuilder provided there can be a small note on the wiki page
acknowledging that they donated the resources for that test.
Guess that is ok.

I still need to set things up, maybe tomorrow. I'll probably start
with a single machine/distro, and probably it will be combo's that the
company has interest in.

Frans.

PS: for building we use http://hudson-ci.org/
Great tool (probably could also be mentioned on the page)

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 21:35         ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2010-09-01 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Am Mittwoch, den 01.09.2010, 23:23 +0200 schrieb Frans Meulenbroeks:
> For what it is worth.
> I've gotten permission from my company to put a few builds on our
> autobuilder provided there can be a small note on the wiki page
> acknowledging that they donated the resources for that test.
> Guess that is ok.
>
> I still need to set things up, maybe tomorrow. I'll probably start
> with a single machine/distro, and probably it will be combo's that the
> company has interest in.

> PS: for building we use http://hudson-ci.org/
> Great tool (probably could also be mentioned on the page)

Could you document the steps to set that up somewhere. I (and maybe
others) have some resources too and would be interested in how to set up
an autobuilder.

Thanks,

Paul

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-01 21:38         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-09-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com> wrote:
> For what it is worth.
> I've gotten permission from my company to put a few builds on our
> autobuilder provided there can be a small note on the wiki page
> acknowledging that they donated the resources for that test.

You can use your company name for tester in table just an idea unless
you are looking for flashy logos

@ 2010-09-02  6:45           ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-02  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/9/1 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
> <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For what it is worth.
>> I've gotten permission from my company to put a few builds on our
>> autobuilder provided there can be a small note on the wiki page
>> acknowledging that they donated the resources for that test.
>
> You can use your company name for tester in table just an idea unless
> you are looking for flashy logos

I'm not looking for a flashy logo. Just want to give some credit.
Appending the company name in the tester table is fine with me. I do
want my name here too as the testing is something that I do as a
private initiative, so the company is not involved in or responsible
for the results. They just donate the resources.

Frans

(and to Paul: I'll try to document the steps, but the tool itself has
already been setup, so it would only be on adding a testing project in
it)

* Re: testing branch 2010-08-30
@ 2010-09-06  9:47             ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-09-06  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Short report:

managed to set things up on the autobuilder.
I did a test run building minimal/console-image for neek (nios2).
It failed in os2Stubs.c
Haven't peeked into it, nios2 is probably not something you want to
run X on anyway.

I'll retest with todays version and more formally report back and
report my findings in the wiki.

Frans