* vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-20  0:53 Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2010-12-20  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
didn't offer much help.

Thx
Dan

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-20 15:44 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-12-20 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Halperin; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Daniel Halperin
<dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
> didn't offer much help.

If you would like, feel free to peg them on the wireless.kernel.org somewhere :)

  Luis

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-20 18:20   ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2010-12-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Daniel Halperin
> <dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
>> didn't offer much help.
>
> If you would like, feel free to peg them on the wireless.kernel.org somewhere :)

If I find such a list, I'll be happy to.  Right now I don't have
anything to add ;)

Dan

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-20 19:22     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-12-20 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Halperin; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Daniel Halperin
<dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Daniel Halperin
>> <dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>>> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
>>> didn't offer much help.
>>
>> If you would like, feel free to peg them on the wireless.kernel.org somewhere :)
>
> If I find such a list, I'll be happy to.  Right now I don't have
> anything to add ;)

And then send patches to iw? :)

  Luis

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-20 19:25       ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2010-12-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Daniel Halperin
> <dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you would like, feel free to peg them on the wireless.kernel.org somewhere :)
>>
>> If I find such a list, I'll be happy to.  Right now I don't have
>> anything to add ;)
>
> And then send patches to iw? :)

Wow, you manipulator :p. ACK :)

Dan

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-21 10:41 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-12-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Halperin; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 16:53 -0800, Daniel Halperin wrote:
> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
> didn't offer much help.

I'm not aware of any list, nor can there really be one since everybody
who has an OUI is free to define their own IEs.

That said, some of them are of course mostly standardised, like the WFA
ones for WPA, WSC/WPS and P2P for instance. I don't think there's a even
a comprehensive list of WFA ones though other than in what you get by
combining all those standards.

johannes

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-21 18:33   ` Henry Ptasinski
From: Henry Ptasinski @ 2010-12-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Daniel Halperin, linux-wireless

On 12/21/2010 02:41 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 16:53 -0800, Daniel Halperin wrote:
>> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
>> didn't offer much help.
>
> I'm not aware of any list, nor can there really be one since everybody
> who has an OUI is free to define their own IEs.
>
> That said, some of them are of course mostly standardised, like the WFA
> ones for WPA, WSC/WPS and P2P for instance. I don't think there's a even
> a comprehensive list of WFA ones though other than in what you get by
> combining all those standards.

The most complete info I've seen is in the wireshark dissector, but even
that is not very complete.

- Henry

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-21 19:38   ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2010-12-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 16:53 -0800, Daniel Halperin wrote:
>> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
>> didn't offer much help.
>
> I'm not aware of any list, nor can there really be one since everybody
> who has an OUI is free to define their own IEs.
>
> That said, some of them are of course mostly standardised, like the WFA
> ones for WPA, WSC/WPS and P2P for instance. I don't think there's a even
> a comprehensive list of WFA ones though other than in what you get by
> combining all those standards.

On that note, if you wanted to define a custom IE what would you do?
How did the WFA get an OUI?  Is there a Linux OUI?

Dan

* Re: vendor IEs?
@ 2010-12-21 19:45     ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-12-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Halperin; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 11:38 -0800, Daniel Halperin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Johannes Berg
> <johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 16:53 -0800, Daniel Halperin wrote:
> >> Is there a compiled list of vendor-specific IEs out there?  Googling
> >> didn't offer much help.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any list, nor can there really be one since everybody
> > who has an OUI is free to define their own IEs.
> >
> > That said, some of them are of course mostly standardised, like the WFA
> > ones for WPA, WSC/WPS and P2P for instance. I don't think there's a even
> > a comprehensive list of WFA ones though other than in what you get by
> > combining all those standards.
>
> On that note, if you wanted to define a custom IE what would you do?

I'd work with a vendor to get to use their OUI :-)

> How did the WFA get an OUI?  Is there a Linux OUI?

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/index.html

I'm not aware of a Linux OUI.

johannes