* [ANNOUNCE] udev 157 release
@ 2010-06-02 12:04 Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2010-06-02 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Here comes a new udev version. Thanks to all who have contributed to
this release.

The tarball can be found here:
 ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/

The development repository can be found here:
 http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=summary

The ChangeLog can be found here:
 http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=ChangeLog

udev 157
====
Bugfixes.

The option --debug-trace and the environment variable UDEVD_MAX_CHILDSwas removed from udevd.

Udevd now checks the kernel commandline for the following variables:
  udev.log-priority=<syslog priority>
  udev.children-max=<maximum number of workers>
  udev.exec-delay=<seconds to delay the execution of RUN=>
to help debuging coldplug setups where the loading of a kernel
module crashes the system.

The subdirectory in the source tree rules/packages has been renamed to
rules/arch, and contains only architecture specific rules now.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 157 release
@ 2010-06-02 12:08 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-06-02 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Kay Sievers wrote:

> Here comes a new udev version. Thanks to all who have contributed to
> this release.

  i have one minor observation about the test utility.  in
udev-test.pl:

                if ($rules->{exp_add_error}) {
                        print " as expected\n";
                } else {
                        print "\n";
                        system("tree $udev_root");     <-- this line
                        print "\n";
                        $error++;
                        sleep(1);
                }

  obviously, if something goes wrong during the test, that script
presumes that the "tree" utility is installed.  on a stock ubuntu
10.04 system, it isn't so that system() call fails.

  is it worth verifying that "tree" is installed first before running
the test?

rday

--

====================================

====================================

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 157 release
@ 2010-06-02 12:17 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2010-06-02 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 14:08, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> Here comes a new udev version. Thanks to all who have contributed to
>> this release.
>
>  i have one minor observation about the test utility.  in
> udev-test.pl:
>
>                if ($rules->{exp_add_error}) {
>                        print " as expected\n";
>                } else {
>                        print "\n";
>                        system("tree $udev_root");     <-- this line
>                        print "\n";
>                        $error++;
>                        sleep(1);
>                }
>
>  obviously, if something goes wrong during the test, that script
> presumes that the "tree" utility is installed.  on a stock ubuntu
> 10.04 system, it isn't so that system() call fails.
>
>  is it worth verifying that "tree" is installed first before running
> the test?

Oh, it's like this since forever. I don't really care, because I can't
live without 'tree'. If you like, patch it to fall-back to 'find' or
'ls' or whatever makes sense, and I'll apply it. :)

Cheers,
Kay