* Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-26  9:19 Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2010-10-26  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi All,

I was just going over TODO list on KVM page. In MMU related TODO I saw
only page eviction algorithm currently implemented is FIFO.

Is it really the case? If yes I would like to work on it. Can someone
let me know the place where the FIFO code is implemented?

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-26 10:31 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-10-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad Joshi; +Cc: kvm

  On 10/26/2010 11:19 AM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was just going over TODO list on KVM page. In MMU related TODO I saw
> only page eviction algorithm currently implemented is FIFO.
>
> Is it really the case?

Yes.

> If yes I would like to work on it. Can someone
> let me know the place where the FIFO code is implemented?

Look at the code that touches mmu_active_list.

FWIW improving the algorithm is not critically important.  It's rare
that mmu shadow pages need to be evicted.

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-26 10:42   ` Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2010-10-26 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

Thanks a lot for your reply.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:
>  On 10/26/2010 11:19 AM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was just going over TODO list on KVM page. In MMU related TODO I saw
>> only page eviction algorithm currently implemented is FIFO.
>>
>> Is it really the case?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If yes I would like to work on it. Can someone
>> let me know the place where the FIFO code is implemented?
>
> Look at the code that touches mmu_active_list.
>
> FWIW improving the algorithm is not critically important.  It's rare that
> mmu shadow pages need to be evicted.

I would be doing a University project on Virtualization. I would like
to work on Linux kernel and KVM. I was looking over the TODO list on
KVM wiki.

Can you please suggest me something that would add value to KVM?

> --
> error compiling committee.c: too many arguments to function

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-26 13:07     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-10-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad Joshi; +Cc: kvm

  On 10/26/2010 12:42 PM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com>  wrote:
> >    On 10/26/2010 11:19 AM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hi All,
> >>
> >>  I was just going over TODO list on KVM page. In MMU related TODO I saw
> >>  only page eviction algorithm currently implemented is FIFO.
> >>
> >>  Is it really the case?
> >
> >  Yes.
> >
> >>  If yes I would like to work on it. Can someone
> >>  let me know the place where the FIFO code is implemented?
> >
> >  Look at the code that touches mmu_active_list.
> >
> >  FWIW improving the algorithm is not critically important.  It's rare that
> >  mmu shadow pages need to be evicted.
>
> I would be doing a University project on Virtualization. I would like
> to work on Linux kernel and KVM. I was looking over the TODO list on
> KVM wiki.
>
> Can you please suggest me something that would add value to KVM?

O(1) write protection (on the TODO page) is interesting and important.
It's difficult, so you may want to start with O(1) invalidation.

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-26 13:31       ` Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2010-10-26 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:
>  On 10/26/2010 12:42 PM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your reply.

>> >  Yes.

>> >  Look at the code that touches mmu_active_list.
>> >
>> >  FWIW improving the algorithm is not critically important.  It's rare
>> > that
>> >  mmu shadow pages need to be evicted.
>>
>> I would be doing a University project on Virtualization. I would like
>> to work on Linux kernel and KVM. I was looking over the TODO list on
>> KVM wiki.
>>
>> Can you please suggest me something that would add value to KVM?
>>

> O(1) write protection (on the TODO page) is interesting and important.  It's
> difficult, so you may want to start with O(1) invalidation.

I am not sure if I can understand what exactly is a MMU invalidation.
Is it cache invalidation or TLB invalidation? Can you please
elaborate. I am really sorry if I am asking a silly question.

@ 2010-10-26 15:08         ` Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2010-10-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

>>> Can you please suggest me something that would add value to KVM?
>>>

>> O(1) write protection (on the TODO page) is interesting and important.  It's
>> difficult, so you may want to start with O(1) invalidation.
>
> I am not sure if I can understand what exactly is a MMU invalidation.
> Is it cache invalidation or TLB invalidation? Can you please
> elaborate. I am really sorry if I am asking a silly question.

Does this MMU invalidation has to do something with the EPT (Extended
Page Table) and instruction INVEPT?

Please clarify.

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-28  8:44         ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-10-28  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad Joshi; +Cc: kvm

  On 10/26/2010 03:31 PM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com>  wrote:
> >    On 10/26/2010 12:42 PM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> >>
> >>  Thanks a lot for your reply.
> >>
> >>  On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com>    wrote:
> >>  >      On 10/26/2010 11:19 AM, Prasad Joshi wrote:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>    Hi All,
> >>  >>
> >>  >>    I was just going over TODO list on KVM page. In MMU related TODO I saw
> >>  >>    only page eviction algorithm currently implemented is FIFO.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>    Is it really the case?
> >>  >
> >>  >    Yes.
> >>  >
> >>  >>    If yes I would like to work on it. Can someone
> >>  >>    let me know the place where the FIFO code is implemented?
> >>  >
> >>  >    Look at the code that touches mmu_active_list.
> >>  >
> >>  >    FWIW improving the algorithm is not critically important.  It's rare
> >>  >  that
> >>  >    mmu shadow pages need to be evicted.
> >>
> >>  I would be doing a University project on Virtualization. I would like
> >>  to work on Linux kernel and KVM. I was looking over the TODO list on
> >>  KVM wiki.
> >>
> >>  Can you please suggest me something that would add value to KVM?
> >>

> >  O(1) write protection (on the TODO page) is interesting and important.  It's
> >  difficult, so you may want to start with O(1) invalidation.
>
> I am not sure if I can understand what exactly is a MMU invalidation.
> Is it cache invalidation or TLB invalidation? Can you please
> elaborate. I am really sorry if I am asking a silly question.

Invalidation of all shadow page tables.  The current code which does
this is in kvm_mmu_zap_all().

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-28  8:45           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-10-28  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad Joshi; +Cc: kvm

  On 10/26/2010 05:08 PM, Prasad Joshi wrote:

> >>  O(1) write protection (on the TODO page) is interesting and important.  It's
> >>  difficult, so you may want to start with O(1) invalidation.
> >
> >  I am not sure if I can understand what exactly is a MMU invalidation.
> >  Is it cache invalidation or TLB invalidation? Can you please
> >  elaborate. I am really sorry if I am asking a silly question.
>
> Does this MMU invalidation has to do something with the EPT (Extended
> Page Table)

No

> and instruction INVEPT?

No, (though INVEPT has to be run as part of this operation, via
kvm_flush_remote_tlbs).

* Re: Page Eviction Algorithm
@ 2010-10-28 13:03             ` Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2010-10-28 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Does this MMU invalidation has to do something with the EPT (Extended
>> Page Table)
>
> No
>
>> and instruction INVEPT?
>
> No, (though INVEPT has to be run as part of this operation, via
> kvm_flush_remote_tlbs).

Thanks a lot Avi for your help. I would look at the code and do my
study. I would ask clarification whenever I need help.