* How to turn off checkpoints
@ 2010-07-08 12:56 Łukasz Wójcicki
       [not found] ` <AANLkTimD74YP7GC1imbiRnKGETOfLYlGMkO682GqeU90@mail.gmail.com>
From: Łukasz Wójcicki @ 2010-07-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Is it possible to disable checkpoints ?

Łukasz Wójcicki

* Re: How to turn off checkpoints
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimD74YP7GC1imbiRnKGETOfLYlGMkO682GqeU90-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-07-09  1:11     ` Ryusuke Konishi
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTimfmo7MOXJpEgE-0psC6jnCt0S0BRopxoxWrc_l-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2010-07-09  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Wójcicki; +Cc: linux-nilfs

(CCed to linux-nilfs)

jcicki wrote:
> Is it possible to disable checkpoints ?
>
> Łukasz Wójcicki

No, checkpointing is essential for nilfs disk write.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi

* Limits for checkpoints
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTimfmo7MOXJpEgE-0psC6jnCt0S0BRopxoxWrc_l-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-07-09  5:13         ` Łukasz Wójcicki
From: Łukasz Wójcicki @ 2010-07-09  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryusuke Konishi; +Cc: linux-nilfs

Is there any way to the limit of size for checkpoints ?

Regards,
Łukasz Wójcicki

* Re: Limits for checkpoints
@ 2010-07-09  5:30           ` Jiro SEKIBA
       [not found]             ` <87eifd9q88.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Jiro SEKIBA @ 2010-07-09  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Wójcicki; +Cc: Ryusuke Konishi, linux-nilfs

At Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:13:34 +0200,
Łukasz Wójcicki wrote:

> Is there any way to the limit of size for checkpoints ?

It's not possible.
Creating checkpoints is the essential of nilfs.

What do you actually want to do?  to save the disk space?

> Regards,
> Łukasz Wójcicki

Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>

* Re: Limits for checkpoints
       [not found]             ` <87eifd9q88.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-07-09  5:38               ` Łukasz Wójcicki
From: Łukasz Wójcicki @ 2010-07-09  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiro SEKIBA; +Cc: Ryusuke Konishi, linux-nilfs

> What do you actually want to do?  to save the disk space?

Yes, I want to save the disk space. Is there any way ?

Regards,
Łukasz Wójcicki

* Re: Limits for checkpoints
@ 2010-07-09 11:05                 ` Ryusuke Konishi
       [not found]                   ` <20100709.200552.176154048.ryusuke-sG5X7nlA6pw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2010-07-09 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lwojcicki-V+nj596LuoKHKKo6LODCOg
  Cc: jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ, linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:38:34 +0200, Łukasz_Wójcicki wrote:
> > What do you actually want to do?  to save the disk space?
> >

> Yes, I want to save the disk space. Is there any way ?
>
> Regards,
> Łukasz Wójcicki

If you worry about the disk usage of df output, one of the way is
adjusting min_clean_segments and max_clean_segments in
/etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf.

In the latest version of nilfs, nilfs_cleanerd tries to store past
data until free space gets less than 10% of the disk capacity.

By decreasing those parameters, or by setting min_clean_segments to
zero this behavior is adjustable.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi.

* Re: Limits for checkpoints
       [not found]                   ` <20100709.200552.176154048.ryusuke-sG5X7nlA6pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-07-09 16:16                     ` Łukasz Wójcicki
       [not found]                       ` <AANLkTikPhJGn45cLRcndvki4GSfpAzrdo8V7fbkmfo3o@mail.gmail.com>
From: Łukasz Wójcicki @ 2010-07-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryusuke Konishi
  Cc: jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ, linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> If you worry about the disk usage of df output, one of the way is
> adjusting min_clean_segments and max_clean_segments in
> /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf.
>
> In the latest version of nilfs, nilfs_cleanerd tries to store past
> data until free space gets less than 10% of the disk capacity.
>
> By decreasing those parameters, or by setting min_clean_segments to
> zero this behavior is adjustable.

Are these parameters will work with the version of kernel module
2-0-18 ?

Regards,
Łukasz Wójcicki

* Re: Limits for checkpoints
       [not found]                         ` <AANLkTikPhJGn45cLRcndvki4GSfpAzrdo8V7fbkmfo3o-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-07-10  7:14                           ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2010-07-10  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Wójcicki; +Cc: linux-nilfs

2010/7/10 Łukasz Wójcicki wrote:

>> If you worry about the disk usage of df output, one of the way is
>> adjusting min_clean_segments and max_clean_segments in
>> /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf.
>>
>> In the latest version of nilfs, nilfs_cleanerd tries to store past
>> data until free space gets less than 10% of the disk capacity.
>>
>> By decreasing those parameters, or by setting min_clean_segments to
>> zero this behavior is adjustable.
>
> Are these parameters will work with the version of kernel module
> 2-0-18 ?

Yes.   The main part of cleaner function is implemented in
nilfs_cleanerd and it is a userland program.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi