* [ath9k-devel] How to use 3T3R (ar9160) module as a 2T2R radio?
@ 2010-12-03 10:59 mason
From: mason @ 2010-12-03 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

An ar9160 chipset is designed for 3X3 mimo support. If I want to use it as
2T2R mimo because I have only two antennas, how can I handle with this case?
Thus, I asked suggestions for two different module vendors.

One vendor requested me to use a dummy MMCX connector (just as a terminator)
to plug into the middle connector of the radio module. The other vendor
suggested me to control in software by ath9k driver, not a terminator. Which
suggestion is correct? If it is possible with the driver, how can I set it
up?

Thanks in advance,
-
mason
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] How to use 3T3R (ar9160) module as a 2T2R radio?
@ 2010-12-03 11:48 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2010-12-03 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM, mason <myongsu.choe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> An ar9160 chipset is designed for 3X3 mimo support. If I want to use it as
> 2T2R mimo because I have only two antennas, how can I handle with this case?
> Thus, I?asked suggestions for two different?module vendors.

Decreasing the number of antenna will affect throughput

> One vendor?requested me to use a dummy MMCX connector (just as a terminator)
> to plug into the middle connector of the radio module. The other vendor
> suggested me to control in software by ath9k driver, not a terminator. Which
> suggestion is correct? If it is possible with the driver, how can I set it
> up?

Please open the file eeprom_def.c  line 272,273 with latest wireless testing
 case EEP_TX_MASK:
 273                 return pBase->txMask;
 274         case EEP_RX_MASK:
 275                 return pBase->rxMask;

Now hard code it with
case EEP_TX_MASK:
 273                 return 0x3
 274         case EEP_RX_MASK:
 275                 return 0x3

Make sure you connect antenna's to chain 1 and chain2 (in chain 1,2,3).
If there are any problems ,please let us know.

@ 2010-12-03 12:03   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2010-12-03 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Mohammed Shafi <shafi.wireless@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM, mason <myongsu.choe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> An ar9160 chipset is designed for 3X3 mimo support. If I want to use it as
>> 2T2R mimo because I have only two antennas, how can I handle with this case?
>> Thus, I?asked suggestions for two different?module vendors.
>
> Decreasing the number of antenna will affect throughput
>

>> One vendor?requested me to use a dummy MMCX connector (just as a terminator)
>> to plug into the middle connector of the radio module. The other vendor
>> suggested me to control in software by ath9k driver, not a terminator. Which
>> suggestion is correct? If it is possible with the driver, how can I set it
>> up?
>
> Please open the file eeprom_def.c ?line 272,273 with latest wireless testing
> ?case EEP_TX_MASK:
> ?273 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? return pBase->txMask;
> ?274 ? ? ? ? case EEP_RX_MASK:
> ?275 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? return pBase->rxMask;
>
> Now hard code it with
> case EEP_TX_MASK:
> ?273 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? return 0x3
> ?274 ? ? ? ? case EEP_RX_MASK:
> ?275 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? return 0x3
>
> Make sure you connect antenna's to chain 1 and chain2 (in chain 1,2,3).
> If there are any problems ,please let us know.

I am not sure whether this will be working perfectly  because we will
be reading back from eeprom ....will let you know the correct
solution..

@ 2010-12-03 13:33 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2010-12-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM, mason <myongsu.choe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> An ar9160 chipset is designed for 3X3 mimo support. If I want to use it as
> 2T2R mimo because I have only two antennas, how can I handle with this case?
> Thus, I?asked suggestions for two different?module vendors.
>
> One vendor?requested me to use a dummy MMCX connector (just as a terminator)
> to plug into the middle connector of the radio module. The other vendor
> suggested me to control in software by ath9k driver, not a terminator. Which
> suggestion is correct? If it is possible with the driver, how can I set it
> up?
try this  in hw.c

1815         pCap->tx_chainmask = ah->eep_ops->get_eeprom(ah, EEP_TX_MASK);
1816         /*
1817          * For AR9271 we will temporarilly uses the rx chainmax
as read from
1818          * the EEPROM.
1819          */
1820         if ((ah->hw_version.devid == AR5416_DEVID_PCI) &&
1821             !(eeval & AR5416_OPFLAGS_11A) &&
1822             !(AR_SREV_9271(ah)))
1823                 /* CB71: GPIO 0 is pulled down to indicate 3 rx chains */
1824                 pCap->rx_chainmask = ath9k_hw_gpio_get(ah, 0) ? 0x5 : 0x7;
1825         else
1826                 /* Use rx_chainmask from EEPROM. */
1827                 pCap->rx_chainmask = ah->eep_ops->get_eeprom(ah,
EEP_RX_MASK);
1828
change onlyt thest two line ..
1815         pCap->tx_chainmask = 0x3;

1827                 pCap->rx_chainmask = ah->eep_ops->get_eeprom(ah,
EEP_RX_MASK);

You can also hard value in ath_update_chainmask in main.c
ommon->tx_chainmask = 0x3
                common->rx_chainmask = 0x3