* Local copy of the repository files
@ 2011-02-07 18:46 Roberto
From: Roberto @ 2011-02-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm trying to make my git repository automatically make a local copy o f
the repository files, but the appropriate command (or commands) is
eluding me. Could somebody give me a hint (or point to the appropriate
document) as of how to make it work?

In more details, what I need:

When one of our developers does commit/push his work to the
server/repository, I need the files to be automatically copied/updated
to a plain local folder (something like file://var/www/), so they are
viewable through a web browser. Most of those files are php. I don't
need an additional repository accessible with WebDAV, HTTP, or something
alike. Just a copy of the working files, viewable if someone opens a
browser and types the URL of our server.

I did configure a "remote" server pointing to that folder (using  git
remote add test file:///var/www/), and 'git fetch test' does give me the
following output:
 From file:///var/www
    203a9c7..b47fab5  master     -> test/master

So probably it´s working correctly. But a "git remote push" is not
updating that folder. Also, I believe that probably I'm supposed to use
a hook (probably post-update), but can't find out what exactly I should
add in there. Would appreciate any ideas here.

Note: I'm using Debian 5.0-64bits, git 1.5.6.5 (from the apt repository).

Thanks,

Roberto

                 Marcos Roberto Greiner

    Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
     Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                   James Branch Cabell

* Re: Local copy of the repository files
@ 2011-02-07 19:22 ` Conrad Irwin
From: Conrad Irwin @ 2011-02-07 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto; +Cc: git

On 7 February 2011 10:46, Roberto <mrgreiner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make my git repository automatically make a local copy o f the
> repository files, but the appropriate command (or commands) is eluding me.
> Could somebody give me a hint (or point to the appropriate document) as of
> how to make it work?

There's a reasonably succinct guide to setting this up at
http://toroid.org/ams/git-website-howto

Conrad