* Need to add a quirk to xserver-xorg-video-intel
@ 2010-07-21 18:26 Gabriel M. Beddingfield
From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield @ 2010-07-21 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hello,

I'm needing to add a quirk to xf86-video-intel.  It looks
like I can get the first two columns from lspci
(chipType, subsysVendor == [VEND:CHIP])...

But I can't figure out how to get the number for subsysCard.
(But I gather that I need to interpret `dmidecode` for this
part.)

Thanks in advance!

-gabriel

* Re: Need to add a quirk to xserver-xorg-video-intel
@ 2010-07-22  2:09 ` Gabriel Beddingfield
From: Gabriel Beddingfield @ 2010-07-22  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield >
> I'm needing to add a quirk to xf86-video-intel.  It looks like I can get the
> first two columns from lspci (chipType, subsysVendor == [VEND:CHIP])...
>
> But I can't figure out how to get the number for subsysCard. (But I gather
> that I need to interpret `dmidecode` for this part.)

Duh, I overlooked the answer here:

    $ lspci -vvnn | grep -A1 "VGA compat"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile
4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
           Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:1021]

So, looks like my row will be:

    {PCI_CHIP_GM45_GM, 0x1462, 0x1021, quirk_ignore_tv}

Thanks,

@ 2010-07-22  8:09 ` Chris Wilson
From: Chris Wilson @ 2010-07-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel M. Beddingfield, intel-gfx

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:26:11 -0500 (CDT), "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabrbedd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm needing to add a quirk to xf86-video-intel.  It looks
> like I can get the first two columns from lspci
> (chipType, subsysVendor == [VEND:CHIP])...

I have to ask: why do you need a quirk in the userspace code? Mode
setting and output detection is now done in the kernel and it may just be
that the TV detection code is inadequate for your setup. Please do file a
bug with the details of the problem and the workaround you have found.

* Re: Need to add a quirk to xserver-xorg-video-intel
@ 2010-07-22 12:31   ` Gabriel M. Beddingfield
From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield @ 2010-07-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wilson; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:26:11 -0500 (CDT), "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabrbedd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm needing to add a quirk to xf86-video-intel.  It looks
>> like I can get the first two columns from lspci
>> (chipType, subsysVendor == [VEND:CHIP])...
>
> I have to ask: why do you need a quirk in the userspace code? Mode
> setting and output detection is now done in the kernel and it may just be
> that the TV detection code is inadequate for your setup. Please do file a
> bug with the details of the problem and the workaround you have found.

I'm forced to use some older stuff:

     2.6.31 kernel
     2.9.1 xf86-video-intel

The newer KMS drivers break some things on my old system.

Meanwhile, I have a couple of machines that will always
report "Output TV connected" when doing a soft reboot --
whether there's a cable connected or not.  This messes up
the desktop resolution.

Let me know if you have a better solution.

-gabriel