* tailf for 'xm dmesg'?
@ 2010-12-28  5:40 Daniel Mathew
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Mathew @ 2010-12-28  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I am a fledgeling Xen developer. I use 'xm dmesg | tail' pretty often to
check the console output generated by my code. Instead of using this command
often, I'd like to have something equivalent to a tailf, where the dmesg
output is continuously printed to a console window. Is there any file that
this output is written to?

Thanks,
Daniel.
--
Daniel J Mathew
Research Associate

* Re: tailf for 'xm dmesg'?
@ 2010-12-31 13:42 ` Daniel Mathew
From: Daniel Mathew @ 2010-12-31 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Resending...

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Mathew <danieljmathew@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a fledgeling Xen developer. I use 'xm dmesg | tail' pretty often to
> check the console output generated by my code. Instead of using this command
> often, I'd like to have something equivalent to a tailf, where the dmesg
> output is continuously printed to a console window. Is there any file that
> this output is written to?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.
> --
> Daniel J Mathew
> Research Associate
> Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
> www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~mathew <http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/%7Emathew>

* Re: Re: tailf for 'xm dmesg'?
@ 2011-01-11 10:51   ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2011-01-11 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mathew, xen-devel

There's an option to xenconsoled to make it log xen output to a file. Look
at the --log= option.

 K.

@ 2011-01-11 11:30 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-01-11 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mathew; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 05:40 +0000, Daniel Mathew wrote:
> I am a fledgeling Xen developer. I use 'xm dmesg | tail' pretty often
> to check the console output generated by my code. Instead of using
> this command often, I'd like to have something equivalent to a tailf,
> where the dmesg output is continuously printed to a console window. Is
> there any file that this output is written to?

If you edit /etc/sysconfig/xencommons (xen-unstable)
or /etc/sysconfig/xend (xen-4.0 and earlier) to set XENCONSOLED_TRACE=hv
then the hypervisor console should get logged under /var/log/xen
somewhere.

Ian.

* Re: tailf for 'xm dmesg'?
@ 2011-01-11 12:37 ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2011-01-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mathew; +Cc: xen-devel

That would be a nice feature.

--
Sander

Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 6:40:34 AM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> I am a fledgeling Xen developer. I use 'xm dmesg | tail' pretty often to
> check the console output generated by my code. Instead of using this command
> often, I'd like to have something equivalent to a tailf, where the dmesg
> output is continuously printed to a console window. Is there any file that
> this output is written to?

> Thanks,
> Daniel.
> --