* PCTV nanoStick T2 in stock - Driver work?
@ 2011-02-23 16:49 Nicolas Will
From: Nicolas Will @ 2011-02-23 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello

The DVB-T2 USB stick appears to be in stock in the UK.

Product page:
http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/ProductsEuropeAsia/Digitalproducts/PCTVnanoStickT2/tabid/248/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Play.com, Dabs and Amzon.co.uk list it as in stock.

Is there any work started on a driver at this point?

If no work has started, would a loan/donation of a stick help?

What can be done to trigger/accelerate the provision of a driver?

Nico

* Re: PCTV nanoStick T2 in stock - Driver work?
@ 2011-02-23 17:07 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-02-23 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Will; +Cc: linux-media

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Nicolas Will <nico@youplala.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> The DVB-T2 USB stick appears to be in stock in the UK.
>
> Product page:
> http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/ProductsEuropeAsia/Digitalproducts/PCTVnanoStickT2/tabid/248/language/en-GB/Default.aspx
>
> Play.com, Dabs and Amzon.co.uk list it as in stock.
>
> Is there any work started on a driver at this point?
>
> If no work has started, would a loan/donation of a stick help?
>
> What can be done to trigger/accelerate the provision of a driver?

Somebody would have to break down and reverse engineer the Sony T2
demod.  I saw something over in mythtv-users where somebody took a
unit apart and photographed it, and he's suggested that he's started
working on a driver.

http://stevekerrison.com/290e/index.html

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: PCTV nanoStick T2 in stock - Driver work?
@ 2011-02-23 17:45   ` Steve Kerrison
From: Steve Kerrison @ 2011-02-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: Nicolas Will, linux-media

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 12:07 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Nicolas Will <nico@youplala.net> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > The DVB-T2 USB stick appears to be in stock in the UK.
> >
> > Product page:
> > http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/ProductsEuropeAsia/Digitalproducts/PCTVnanoStickT2/tabid/248/language/en-GB/Default.aspx
> >
> > Play.com, Dabs and Amzon.co.uk list it as in stock.
> >
> > Is there any work started on a driver at this point?
> >
> > If no work has started, would a loan/donation of a stick help?
> >
> > What can be done to trigger/accelerate the provision of a driver?
>
> Somebody would have to break down and reverse engineer the Sony T2
> demod.  I saw something over in mythtv-users where somebody took a
> unit apart and photographed it, and he's suggested that he's started
> working on a driver.
>
> http://stevekerrison.com/290e/index.html
>
> Devin

That would be me :)

I have indeed, but don't have much to speak of seeing as when I started
I'd never touched Linux kernel-space driver development.

At the moment I have hardware and usb data from myself and others. I'm
hoping to publish some code that at least initialises the device with
the Sony demod code stub'd so that I and whoever wants to join me, can
attempt to get the demod to spit out some transport streams :)

Donations won't get sony to give me the datasheet, so none requested
right now.

I actually have a free weekend coming up (a rare occurrence) in which I
hope to make some further progress...

Or the short answer: No hardware/donations needed, but things might take
a while!

Steve Kerrison MEng Hons.
http://stevekerrison.com/

* Re: PCTV nanoStick T2 in stock - Driver work?
@ 2011-02-23 17:55     ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-02-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kerrison; +Cc: Nicolas Will, linux-media

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Steve Kerrison
<steve@stevekerrison.com> wrote:
> That would be me :)
>
> I have indeed, but don't have much to speak of seeing as when I started
> I'd never touched Linux kernel-space driver development.
>
> At the moment I have hardware and usb data from myself and others. I'm
> hoping to publish some code that at least initialises the device with
> the Sony demod code stub'd so that I and whoever wants to join me, can
> attempt to get the demod to spit out some transport streams :)
>
> Donations won't get sony to give me the datasheet, so none requested
> right now.
>
> I actually have a free weekend coming up (a rare occurrence) in which I
> hope to make some further progress...
>
> Or the short answer: No hardware/donations needed, but things might take
> a while!

I could probably get it bootstrapped but without a signal source it
would be very annoying (and I am not really willing to spend the three
grand to pick up a T2 generator).

That said, if you have any issues with the em2874 driver or questions
about the hardware layout (I probably have the schematic kicking
around here somewhere), let me know.

Devin