* [U-Boot]  [RAM MEMORY] Hardware Replacement.
@ 2010-11-16 19:19 Rodolfo Oliveira
From: Rodolfo Oliveira @ 2010-11-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,
I'm upgrading my hardware RAM, but I found a problem.
After replacing the RAM MT48LC32M4A2 by IS42S16800E the following message
appeared:
Memory (date line) error at 00000000, wrote aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, read
89abcdef89abc def!

Does anyone know what problem is this?
I looked at the two memories and ram it are similar.

Thanks,
Rodolfo Rom?o.

2010/11/16 Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>

> > > or just use -ffunction-sections/-fdata-sections/-Wl,--gc-sections and
> > > dont worry about it.  which is what we do for the Blackfin port.
> >
> > If you do worry, you can use the "--gc-sections" together with
> > "--print-gc-sections" to actually find out what is unused[1].
>
> the u-boot.map also mentions which input sections are discarded without
> needing --print-gc-sections ...
> -mike

[]?s

===================================
Rodolfo R. de O. Neto, Eng. , MBA
Engenheiro de computa??o
MBA - Governan?a em TI
E-mail: rodolforomao at gmail.com
===================================

* [U-Boot]  [RAM MEMORY] Hardware Replacement.
@ 2010-11-17 11:36 ` Rodolfo Oliveira
From: Rodolfo Oliveira @ 2010-11-17 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

 Hi,
I'm upgrading my hardware RAM, but I found a problem.
After replacing the RAM MT48LC32M4A2 by IS42S16800E the following message
appeared:
"Memory (date line) error at 00000000, wrote aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, read
89abcdef89abc def!"
This error happens in executing the u-boot.

@ 2010-11-17 12:35 ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-11-17 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Rodolfo,

please don't hijack unrelated threads.

> I'm upgrading my hardware RAM, but I found a problem.
> After replacing the RAM MT48LC32M4A2 by IS42S16800E the following message
> appeared:
> Memory (date line) error at 00000000, wrote aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, read
> 89abcdef89abc def!
>
> Does anyone know what problem is this?

Yes and you should too - code tried to write a specific pattern to
memory and it read back something different.  Now as you did not tell us
anything about your board or even what software you are using, you
should start trying to come up with an explanation yourself for this
behaviour.

> I looked at the two memories and ram it are similar.

"The chips are similar but the old software does not work anymore" is
one of the most often occurring "bug reports".  I wonder when people
realize that "similar" hardware is simply _not_ expected to work with
_identical_ software.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
``The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10,
with more expected.''     Unix Programmers Manual -- 1972

* [U-Boot] [RAM MEMORY] Hardware Replacement.
@ 2010-11-17 13:32   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-11-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Rodolfo Oliveira,

In message <AANLkTikZsm7hoy6t=EgD7xfeW_6SkspCd4goU0LqPs3Q@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm upgrading my hardware RAM, but I found a problem.

Why are you reposting the same question again?

Please read http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id445111

> After replacing the RAM MT48LC32M4A2 by IS42S16800E the following message
> appeared:
> "Memory (date line) error at 00000000, wrote aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, read
> 89abcdef89abc def!"
> This error happens in executing the u-boot.
>
> Does anyone know what problem is this?
> I looked at the two memories and ram it are similar.

Well, similar is not identical, and probably not even similar enough.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
:       I've tried (in vi) "g/[a-z]\n[a-z]/s//_/"...but that doesn't
: cut it.  Any ideas?  (I take it that it may be a two-pass sort of solution).
In the first pass, install perl. :-) Larry Wall <6849@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>