* MIDI support for hda-intel
@ 2010-10-23 17:10 Nick Lloyd
From: Nick Lloyd @ 2010-10-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi, quick question for the list.  Has MIDI support been implemented
for the hda-intel codec, specifically the sigmatel codec.  I tried
playing a MIDI file the other day, and could see the levels bouncing
around, but no sound whatsoever.  Basically, does the driver not
support it, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Nick

--
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away."

* Re: MIDI support for hda-intel
@ 2010-10-24 10:34 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2010-10-24 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Lloyd; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:10:35 -0400,
Nick Lloyd wrote:

> Hi, quick question for the list.  Has MIDI support been implemented
> for the hda-intel codec, specifically the sigmatel codec.  I tried
> playing a MIDI file the other day, and could see the levels bouncing
> around, but no sound whatsoever.  Basically, does the driver not
> support it, or am I doing something wrong?

The HD-audio doesn't support the MIDI playback in hardware.
Everything is software rendering.

Takashi

* Re: MIDI support for hda-intel
@ 2010-10-24 23:37   ` Nick Lloyd
From: Nick Lloyd @ 2010-10-24 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> At Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:10:35 -0400,
> Nick Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> Hi, quick question for the list.  Has MIDI support been implemented
>> for the hda-intel codec, specifically the sigmatel codec.  I tried
>> playing a MIDI file the other day, and could see the levels bouncing
>> around, but no sound whatsoever.  Basically, does the driver not
>> support it, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> The HD-audio doesn't support the MIDI playback in hardware.
> Everything is software rendering.
>

> Takashi

Thanks Takashi.  So to clarify, the HDA driver supports MIDI, but not
through the hardware?  So if I play a MIDI file, it should in fact
work?

Thanks,
Nick

--

@ 2010-10-25  0:59     ` Daniel Chen
From: Daniel Chen @ 2010-10-25  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Lloyd; +Cc: alsa-devel

You'll need to use a softsynth, e.g., fluidsynth, timidity, and be aware
that, depending on the desktop distro that you use, you may encounter races
with other apps attempting to access the device.

* Re: MIDI support for hda-intel
@ 2010-10-25  5:24     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2010-10-25  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Lloyd; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:37:51 -0400,
Nick Lloyd wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > At Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:10:35 -0400,
> > Nick Lloyd wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, quick question for the list.  Has MIDI support been implemented
> >> for the hda-intel codec, specifically the sigmatel codec.  I tried
> >> playing a MIDI file the other day, and could see the levels bouncing
> >> around, but no sound whatsoever.  Basically, does the driver not
> >> support it, or am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > The HD-audio doesn't support the MIDI playback in hardware.
> > Everything is software rendering.
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> Thanks Takashi.  So to clarify, the HDA driver supports MIDI, but not
> through the hardware?

No and no.  It's no job of a driver but a user-space application
who renders the MIDI data to PCM.

>  So if I play a MIDI file, it should in fact
> work?

Use an application (or a sound subsystem) supporting software
MIDI rendering.  fluidsynth, timidity, whatever.

Takashi

* Re: MIDI support for hda-intel
@ 2010-10-25 16:48       ` Nick Lloyd
From: Nick Lloyd @ 2010-10-25 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Thanks to both of you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Nick