* Installing compat-wireless modules on an external system
       [not found] <AANLkTimVK9pJXW32EwHoeqF=0_o-L3wmUC8W1Hd6kBO6@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-02-14 18:55 ` Juan Carlos Garza
From: Juan Carlos Garza @ 2011-02-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,
I have a 2.6.24 system running in a separate box (which boots from an
SD Card), and I want to install compat-wireless in it in order to use
a driver (and update the wireless subsystem). I compile the kernel for
the 2.6.24 system in my daily PC.

I cross compiled compat-wireless without problems against the 2.6.24
sources using KLIB=(2.6.24 src path) and KLIB_BUILD=(2.6.24 src path)

My problem is that I am not sure of how to install it in the 2.6.24
system. As this system can be booted from the SD Card, I can mount it
in my daily PC and set the DESTDIR and others with destination the
path. I ran something like:

make KLIB=(2.6.24 src path) KLIB_BUILD=(2.6.24 src path)
KMODPATH_ARG="INSTALL_MOD_PATH=(2.6.24 mounted in my
pc/lib/modules/2.6.24/)" DESTDIR=(2.6.24 mounted in my
pc/lib/modules/2.6.24/) modules_install

Which actually copied the modules into the 2.6.24 system in the SD
Card. However, when booting the 2.6.24 box, and then trying to do
insmod /path/driver.ko, it fails to find some symbols. Going through
the different dependencies (by trying to insert a module, and then
executing dmesg -c), and trying to insert them, it fails too. I cannot
insert mac80211.ko or compat.ko or the rfkill module, etc. I think one
of the last dependences is the function "dev_set_name" which appears
in compat-2.6.26.c I am not sure if this file is also being compiled
(as my daily PC has a 2.6.29 kernel and I don't have access to it
right now).

Well, maybe missing a dependency somewhere, or the 2.6.24 kernel
version is not correctly identified. Any hints?

Best regards,

Juan Carlos

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-02-14 18:59 UTC | newest]