* Debug Logs
@ 2011-01-20  4:53 sugnan prabhu
From: sugnan prabhu @ 2011-01-20  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello all,

          I am trying to work on the NFS and RPC, i am trying to understand
the code, i have enabled the debugging messages of rpc using rpcdebug -m
<module> -s all.
now i can see that lot of debug can be found in /var/log/messages, i do see
that there are lot of other debug messages printed in the nfs using dprint
other than there logs, so where can i find those logs, or is there any other
way to enable them.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Debug Logs
@ 2011-01-20  5:30 ` Mulyadi Santosa
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=FD+xFvqOvD-fLLyhUGS7OVCEEx5DHeRg+d6zK@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-01-20  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi...

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:53, sugnan prabhu <sugnan.prabhu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> ?? ? ? ? ?I am trying to work on the NFS and RPC, i am trying to understand
> the code, i have enabled the debugging messages of rpc using rpcdebug -m
> <module> -s all.
> now i can see that lot of debug can be found in /var/log/messages, i do see
> that there are lot of other debug messages printed in the nfs using dprint
> other than there logs, so where can i find those logs, or is there any other
> way to enable them.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, you meant you wanna filter
which debug messages that belong to RPC and which ones aren't? If so,
IMO perhaps grep could do some help?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Debug Logs
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTi=jqjBG+Qk+OAANc_AXMo1wmcvUe9FrRTnZ5BaT@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-01-20 12:04       ` sugnan prabhu
From: sugnan prabhu @ 2011-01-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Mulyadi,

      Finally after making some study on the dprintk source, i found that it
can be enable by setting the config CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG

      http://codemonkey.org.uk/projects/cpufreq/

But the above link say that i need to boot the kernel with cpufreq.debug=7,
am not getting how to do that.

for time being i have got it working by commenting the condition which
checks for this variable in the kernel code.

Thanks for your help.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Sugnan :)
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:35, sugnan prabhu <sugnan.prabhu@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, what i meant is, am unable to find other logs which are being
> print
> > using dprint,(ex: in fs/nfs/proc.c) i just wanted to know should i enable
> > few flags in the kernel in order to enable those debug messages.
>
> We follow "not doing top posting" rule here, so please make it as your
> habit  too  :)
>
> OK, about dprint, I absolutely have no idea. IMHO, you could find out
> what dprint() really is e.g whether it is similar to printk or using
> other mean such as netlink etc.
>
> Assuming it's using printk() or similar, find out which facility it
> uses...from there...combined with syslog.conf (or syslog alike such as
> rsyslog), you should easily parse the output. Enabling flag? maybe,
> but I think no need to think about the for now.
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>
> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

--

Thanking You,
Sugnan Prabhu S

@ 2011-01-20 19:05         ` Denis Kirjanov
From: Denis Kirjanov @ 2011-01-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM, sugnan prabhu <sugnan.prabhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mulyadi,
>
> ????? Finally after making some study on the dprintk source, i found that it
> can be enable by setting the config CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG
>
> ????? http://codemonkey.org.uk/projects/cpufreq/
>
> But the above link say that i need to boot the kernel with cpufreq.debug=7,
> am not getting how to do that.

It is a sysctl variable.
sysctl -w debug.cpufreq.verbose=7

> for time being i have got it working by commenting the condition which
> checks for this variable in the kernel code.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
> <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sugnan :)
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:35, sugnan prabhu <sugnan.prabhu@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry, what i meant is, am unable to find other logs which are being
>> > print
>> > using dprint,(ex: in fs/nfs/proc.c) i just wanted to know should i
>> > enable
>> > few flags in the kernel in order to enable those debug messages.
>>
>> We follow "not doing top posting" rule here, so please make it as your
>> habit ?too ?:)
>>
>> OK, about dprint, I absolutely have no idea. IMHO, you could find out
>> what dprint() really is e.g whether it is similar to printk or using
>> other mean such as netlink etc.
>>
>> Assuming it's using printk() or similar, find out which facility it
>> uses...from there...combined with syslog.conf (or syslog alike such as
>> rsyslog), you should easily parse the output. Enabling flag? maybe,
>> but I think no need to think about the for now.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>>
>> Mulyadi Santosa
>> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>>
>> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
>> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com
>

> --
>
> Thanking You,
> Sugnan Prabhu S
> http://sugnanprabhu.blogspot.com/

Denis

* Debug Logs
@ 2011-01-20 19:15           ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2011-01-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Denis Kirjanov <kirjanov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM, sugnan prabhu <sugnan.prabhu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mulyadi,
>>
>> ????? Finally after making some study on the dprintk source, i found that it
>> can be enable by setting the config CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG
>>
>> ????? http://codemonkey.org.uk/projects/cpufreq/
>>
>> But the above link say that i need to boot the kernel with cpufreq.debug=7,
>> am not getting how to do that.
>
> It is a sysctl variable.
> sysctl -w debug.cpufreq.verbose=7

The kernel accepts arguments just like anything else and you pass them
in when you boot the kernel.  They can often be modified later, but do
it the easy way for now, just pass it in as argument to the kernel.

If you're using grub, in your menu.lst file you should have an entry like:

===
title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.36.2-3
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36.2-3-desktop
root=/dev/disk/by-label/root
resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3250310AS_9RY00PYW-part1 splash=silent
showopts vga=0x31a
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.36.2-3-desktop
===

Just add cpufreq.debug=7 at the end of the kernel boot line.

Greg

* debug logs
@ 2011-05-07  1:24 James
From: James @ 2011-05-07  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are two dmesg outputs on each kernel after I do  modprobe ath9k
debug=0xffffffff and iwlist wlan0 scan | grep SSID

kernel-2.6.36.4 is good and returns  ~15 APs and associates to my AP
htp://lockie.ca/test/dmesg_good.txt.bz2

but kernel-2.6.38.5 is bad and returns ~0-3 APs and does not associate
to my AP
http://lockie.ca/test/dmesg_bad.txt.bz

Maybe someone can see something.