* E63 as generic At Modem?
@ 2010-05-31 13:02 Arun Ravindran
From: Arun Ravindran @ 2010-05-31 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hello All,

I am running the latest ofono in my ubuntu 9.10, under virtual box.

I have connected my E63 through USB and I can see that the isimodem up and
working.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root(a)arun-laptop:/home/arun/ofono_repository/ofono/test# ./list-modems
[ /isimodem0 ]
    Powered = 1
    Interfaces = org.ofono.RadioSettings org.ofono.SupplementaryServices
org.ofono.NetworkRegistration org.ofono.Phonebook org.ofono.SmsManager
org.ofono.SimManager org.ofono.VoiceCallManager
    Model = Nokia E63
    Manufacturer = Nokia
    Serial = 356836020xxxxxx
    Revision = V ICPR71_08w44.1
30-10-08
RM-437
(c) Nokia
    [ org.ofono.RadioSettings ]
        TechnologyPreference = any
    [ org.ofono.SupplementaryServices ]
        State = idle
    [ org.ofono.NetworkRegistration ]
        Status = unknown
        Operators =
        Mode = auto
        Name =
    [ org.ofono.Phonebook ]
    [ org.ofono.SmsManager ]
        ServiceCenterAddress = +358405202000
    [ org.ofono.SimManager ]
        SubscriberNumbers =
        CardIdentifier = 89358010802064xxxxx
        LockedPins =
        PinRequired = none
        SubscriberIdentity = 2449154705xxxxx
        Present = 1
    [ org.ofono.VoiceCallManager ]
        EmergencyNumbers = 119 118 999 110 08 000 911 112
        MultipartyCalls =
        Calls =

I tried to use E63 as a generic modem by adding the following to the
modem.conf
# Sample for using generic driver
[generic]
Driver=atgen
Device=/dev/ttyACM1
Baud=460800

This was done based on the wvdialconf output:
 wvdialconf create
Editing `create'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1   S2   S3   ACM0
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Nokia
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttyACM1<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM1.
create<Warn>: Can't open 'create' for reading: No such file or directory
create<Warn>: ...starting with blank configuration.
Modem configuration written to create.
ttyACM1<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

and i can see that ofono has detected it properly.
[ /generic ]
    Interfaces = org.ofono.SimManager
    Powered = 1
    [ org.ofono.SimManager ]
        Present = 0

But i do not see any interfaces other than SimManager. I wanted to try using
E63 as a generic at modem and make calls. Could any one help me in
identifying what is going wrong
here and why the generic modem is not identifying other interfaces?

Also am i right in expecting this from E63? Can i use it as generic AT
modem?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Arun

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 4970 bytes --]

* Re: E63 as generic At Modem?
@ 2010-05-31 13:54 ` Aki Niemi
From: Aki Niemi @ 2010-05-31 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Arun,

2010/5/31 Arun Ravindran <arunlee@gmail.com>:
> Hello All,
>
> I am running the latest ofono in my ubuntu 9.10, under virtual box.
>
> I have connected my E63 through USB and I can see that the isimodem up and
> working.

Good, are you able to make calls with it?

> I tried to use E63 as a generic modem by adding the following to the
> modem.conf

Don't do that. The AT command interface on most Nokia modems is not
very good. Just use the isimodem driver. We don't expect everything to
work flawlessly over USB, but if you experience problems, just 'export
OFONO_ISI_DEBUG=all' and post the debug logs, and we can see if the
problem can be fixed.

However, we are currently using N900 as a reference phone; via USB
while developing and on-device obviously for MeeGo purposes. Other
models may or may not work.

Cheers,
Aki

* Re: E63 as generic At Modem?
@ 2010-06-01  6:52   ` Arun Ravindran
From: Arun Ravindran @ 2010-06-01  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Aki Niemi <aki@protocolpolice.com> wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> 2010/5/31 Arun Ravindran <arunlee@gmail.com>:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am running the latest ofono in my ubuntu 9.10, under virtual box.
> >
> > I have connected my E63 through USB and I can see that the isimodem up
> and
> > working.
>
> > Good, are you able to make calls with it?
>
> Yes i am able to make calls.

> > I tried to use E63 as a generic modem by adding the following to the
> > modem.conf
>
> > Don't do that. The AT command interface on most Nokia modems is not
> > very good. Just use the isimodem driver. We don't expect everything to
> > work flawlessly over USB, but if you experience problems, just 'export
> > OFONO_ISI_DEBUG=all' and post the debug logs, and we can see if the
> > problem can be fixed.
>
> > However, we are currently using N900 as a reference phone; via USB
> > while developing and on-device obviously for MeeGo purposes. Other
> > models may or may not work.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Aki
> __

I shall post the debug logs.

Regards
Arun

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2145 bytes --]

* Re: E63 as generic At Modem?
@ 2010-06-03  9:41     ` Arun Ravindran
From: Arun Ravindran @ 2010-06-03  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono