* [LTP] Realtime tests on embedded target
@ 2010-10-27 12:43 David Peverley
From: David Peverley @ 2010-10-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list

Hi all,

I've managed to get to the point where I should be able to run the
realtime tests on my target but there are a few issues :

1) The run script "testscripts/test_realtime.sh" sources
"$LTPROOT/testcases/realtime/scripts/setenv.sh" - this isn't copied by
make install.

2) After manually copying in, "setenv.sh" sets up paths to use test
definitions under "$LTPROOT/testcases/realtime/" - these aren't copied
by make install either.

3 ) Generally we now have a bit of a pain as various scripts now try
to invoke "make" - I think this should really only be a build-time
thing and not part of the test run scritps? Is this actually necessary
as most embedded targets aren't likely to have local make/gcc! I've
commented them out for now for initial testing...

4) After copying in the whole of "testcases/realtime" I run a
run_auto.sh script (sched_jitter/run_auto.sh) this fails as it's
looking for the executable in its working dir (I guess where the
scripts make pass would have put it). However, the previous build and
make install put all the executables in $LTPROOT/testcases/bin as
you'd expect.

I'd be happy to address & submit changes but these are significant
changes to make so it would make sense to check with stake-holders
first if anyone's aware or looking at this actively?

Cheers,

~Pev

* Re: [LTP] Realtime tests on embedded target
@ 2010-10-27 12:47 ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2010-10-27 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Peverley; +Cc: ltp-list, gowrishankar

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:43 AM, David Peverley <pev@sketchymonkey.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to get to the point where I should be able to run the
> realtime tests on my target but there are a few issues :
>
> 1) The run script "testscripts/test_realtime.sh" sources
> "$LTPROOT/testcases/realtime/scripts/setenv.sh" - this isn't copied by
> make install.
>
> 2) After manually copying in, "setenv.sh" sets up paths to use test
> definitions under "$LTPROOT/testcases/realtime/" - these aren't copied
> by make install either.
>
> 3 ) Generally we now have a bit of a pain as various scripts now try
> to invoke "make" - I think this should really only be a build-time
> thing and not part of the test run scritps? Is this actually necessary
> as most embedded targets aren't likely to have local make/gcc! I've
> commented them out for now for initial testing...
>
> 4) After copying in the whole of "testcases/realtime" I run a
> run_auto.sh script (sched_jitter/run_auto.sh) this fails as it's
> looking for the executable in its working dir (I guess where the
> scripts make pass would have put it). However, the previous build and
> make install put all the executables in $LTPROOT/testcases/bin as
> you'd expect.
>
> I'd be happy to address & submit changes but these are significant
> changes to make so it would make sense to check with stake-holders
> first if anyone's aware or looking at this actively?

    Gowrishankar's the primary stakeholder in this area, but I'm the
`Makefile consultant' for the project.
Thanks,
-Garrett

* Re: [LTP] Realtime tests on embedded target
@ 2010-10-27 15:33 ` gowrishankar
From: gowrishankar @ 2010-10-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Peverley; +Cc: ltp-list

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 06:13 PM, David Peverley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to get to the point where I should be able to run the
> realtime tests on my target but there are a few issues :

Hi David,

We have not encountered such issues in our environment.
I usually do:
ltp:> ./configure
ltp:> make
ltp:> cd testcases/realtime
ltp:> make

and run tests either through test_realtime.sh or run.sh in
testcases/realtime/ .

By the way, I am using last stable (atleast for RT) release
ltp-full-20100630 .

Can you please let us know which version you are trying atm.
Also, can you please check ltp-full-20100630 ?

Thanks,
Gowrishankar

@ 2010-10-27 16:04   ` David Peverley
From: David Peverley @ 2010-10-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gowrishankar; +Cc: ltp-list

Hi Gowrishankar,

I've just pulled down this version and it behaves the same for me?!
The build sequence I am performing is :

   $ cd ltp-full-20100630
   $  ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
--prefix=/opt/ltp-20100630
   $ make all
   $ mkdir ~/test-sysroot
   $ make SKIP_IDCHECK=1 DESTDIR=~/test-sysroot install
   $ find ~/test-sysroot | grep "testcases/realtime"

This shows no files installed...?! If I take the cross compile out of
the equation and build natively :
   $ make distclean
   $  ./configure
   $ make all
   $ rm -rf ~/test-sysroot/*
   $ make SKIP_IDCHECK=1 DESTDIR=~/test-sysroot install
   $ find ~/test-sysroot | grep "testcases/realtime"

This also behaves the same way!

Looking at your output, I just realised that you don't run a "make
install" so I'm guessing that implies that you're not doing this and
are executing your tests directly from the source / build tree which
would explain the discrepancy?

Also, on my second point, what are your thoughts on the fact that the
test-run scripts invoke make/gcc which is a problem for embedded
targets?

Cheers,

~Pev

@ 2010-10-28 11:49     ` gowrishankar
From: gowrishankar @ 2010-10-28 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garrett Cooper; +Cc: ltp-list, David Peverley

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 09:34 PM, David Peverley wrote:
> Hi Gowrishankar,
>
> I've just pulled down this version and it behaves the same for me?!
> The build sequence I am performing is :
>
>     $ cd ltp-full-20100630
>     $  ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
> --prefix=/opt/ltp-20100630
>     $ make all
>     $ mkdir ~/test-sysroot
>     $ make SKIP_IDCHECK=1 DESTDIR=~/test-sysroot install
>     $ find ~/test-sysroot | grep "testcases/realtime"

Right, I too observed the same.

Garrett, any idea on to turn installation of RT tests ?

Thanks,
Gowrishankar

@ 2010-10-28 12:10       ` David Peverley
From: David Peverley @ 2010-10-28 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gowrishankar; +Cc: ltp-list

Hi all,

I think this is a slightly wider-ranging that a minor change -
obviously we need to create some more install rules for the Makefile
but we also need to work out what to do with the test scripts.

AFAICT from looking through the source, when you do an install, most
if not all of the other tests in LTP put all of their scripts and
binaries in to $LTPROOT/testcases/bin/ so this is what I think that
the realtime tests should do.

However, all the scripts for realtime tests are similarly named...! To
end up in the bin dir they need to be unique so I'd rename along the
lines of :
  func/matrix_mult/run_auto.sh   -> realtime-func-matrux_mult.sh
  func/prio-preempt/run_auto.sh  -> realtime-func-prio_preempt.sh
  ... etc ...
This is in keeping with what happens elsewhere.

As a second step, I'd pull the make commands out of the run scripts as
all building should have already occurred prior to this explicitly?

I'll take a stab at this this afternoon and submit a patch back if I'm
successful.

Cheers,

~Pev

On 28 October 2010 12:49, gowrishankar

@ 2010-10-28 12:26         ` David Peverley
From: David Peverley @ 2010-10-28 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gowrishankar; +Cc: ltp-list

On 28 October 2010 13:10, David Peverley <pev@sketchymonkey.com> wrote:
> However, all the scripts for realtime tests are similarly named...! To
> end up in the bin dir they need to be unique so I'd rename along the
> lines of :
..
> I'll take a stab at this this afternoon and submit a patch back if I'm
> successful.
Except typically it's not that simple as the execution scripts rely on
directory traversal rather than scripts under runtest - somewhat more
of a change than expected!

@ 2010-10-28 17:04       ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2010-10-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gowrishankar; +Cc: ltp-list, David Peverley

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:49 AM, gowrishankar
<gowrishankar.m@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2010 09:34 PM, David Peverley wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gowrishankar,
>>
>> I've just pulled down this version and it behaves the same for me?!
>> The build sequence I am performing is :
>>
>>    $ cd ltp-full-20100630
>>    $  ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
>> --prefix=/opt/ltp-20100630
>>    $ make all
>>    $ mkdir ~/test-sysroot
>>    $ make SKIP_IDCHECK=1 DESTDIR=~/test-sysroot install
>>    $ find ~/test-sysroot | grep "testcases/realtime"
>>

> Right, I too observed the same.
>
> Garrett, any idea on to turn installation of RT tests ?

    I'm going to keep the existing hierarchy under
testcases/realtime/... for consistency and because I don't want to
rewrite a bunch of test scripts to live nicely under testcases/bin/...
    I'll work on this in the next couple of days; completing this task
will be trivial.
Thanks!
-Garrett