* qemuppc kernel doesn't build with GCC 4.9 on korgoth
@ 2016-06-15 12:31 Pascal Bach
From: Pascal Bach @ 2016-06-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi

I tried to build qemuppc on the latest korgoth branch using the GCC 4.9.3 from OE-core.

The problem is that i get an error when trying to build the kernel.
I was able to trace the issue back to this commit:
https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/7a51776a830167e43cbd185505f62f328704e271

And i can confirm that removing TARGET_CC_KERNEL_ARCH = "-mno-spe" from qemuppc.conf makes it work again.

The question is how to best solve this?
Do the changes for GCC 5.3.0 that done in the commit mentioned above also need to be applied to 4.9?
Or is it just not supported to build qemuppc with GCC 4.9?

Thanks for your help

Pascal

* Re: qemuppc kernel doesn't build with GCC 4.9 on korgoth
@ 2016-06-15 19:19 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-06-15 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Bach; +Cc: openembedded-core

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:31 AM, Pascal Bach <pascal.bach@siemens.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I tried to build qemuppc on the latest korgoth branch using the GCC 4.9.3 from OE-core.
>
> The problem is that i get an error when trying to build the kernel.
> I was able to trace the issue back to this commit:
> https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/7a51776a830167e43cbd185505f62f328704e271
>
> And i can confirm that removing TARGET_CC_KERNEL_ARCH = "-mno-spe" from qemuppc.conf makes it work again.
>
> The question is how to best solve this?
> Do the changes for GCC 5.3.0 that done in the commit mentioned above also need to be applied to 4.9?
> Or is it just not supported to build qemuppc with GCC 4.9?

back port the gcc patch to 4.9

> Thanks for your help
>
> Pascal

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: qemuppc kernel doesn't build with GCC 4.9 on korgoth
@ 2016-06-16 12:51   ` Pascal Bach
From: Pascal Bach @ 2016-06-16 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: openembedded-core

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:31 AM, Pascal Bach <pascal.bach@siemens.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I tried to build qemuppc on the latest korgoth branch using the GCC 4.9.3 from OE-core.
>>
>> The problem is that i get an error when trying to build the kernel.
>> I was able to trace the issue back to this commit:
>> https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/7a51776a830167e43cbd185505f62f328704e271
>>
>> And i can confirm that removing TARGET_CC_KERNEL_ARCH = "-mno-spe" from qemuppc.conf makes it work again.
>>
>> The question is how to best solve this?
>> Do the changes for GCC 5.3.0 that done in the commit mentioned above also need to be applied to 4.9?
>> Or is it just not supported to build qemuppc with GCC 4.9?
>>
> back port the gcc patch to 4.9
I just noticed it is already backported to 4.9 as 0049-Enable-SPE-AltiVec-generation-on-powepc-linux-target.patch
Is anybody else using a powerpc machine with Yocto2.1 and GCC4.9?

Regards
Pascal