* Re: [Virtio-fs] Architecture diagram license
@ 2020-10-26 13:57 Fotis Xenakis
From: Fotis Xenakis @ 2020-10-26 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

That would work great actually, thank you very much for the prompt response!

Fotis

________________________________
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-10-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fotis Xenakis; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 01:57:53PM +0000, Fotis Xenakis wrote:
> That would work great actually, thank you very much for the prompt response!

Okay, in that case this is my written confirmation that you may use the
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ license on the
architecture.svg file.

I'll send a separate patch to explicitly apply the license to the entire
virtio-fs website.

By the way, how are you using virtio-fs in your thesis? It would be
interesting to hear what you are working on.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Virtio-fs] Architecture diagram license
@ 2020-10-28 11:10 Fotis Xenakis
From: Fotis Xenakis @ 2020-10-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 11:31:54PM +0000, Fotis Xenakis wrote:
> OSv is a unikernel happily running on QEMU/KVM, supporting different filesystems. Virtio-fs is a great fit for unikernels: it offers an escape route from rebuilding images for every change and very competitive performance just to name a couple of factors.
> I decided as part of my thesis to tackle read-only virtio-fs DAX window support on the OSv side (nothing big, no comparison to linux). This has been merged and works on OSv and I 've been working on evaluating it (spoiler: it works very nicely and performance is pretty good).
> Unfortunately, the thesis containing the detailed evaluation is mostly in Greek, in any case you can find it here https://github.com/foxeng/diploma. When time allows, I will also do an English write-up for sharing. If anyone's interested, I 'll make sure to post it here too!

You are welcome to write a guest post on the QEMU blog
(https://qemu.org/blog/) that gives an overview of OSv and the virtio-fs
device interface. I imagine people would be interested in learning about
both these topics.

The git repo for the QEMU website and blog is here:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu-web

You can create a new blog post by dropping a Markdown file into _posts/.
Images can be added to screenshots/ directory.

The blog post can be sent to the QEMU mailing list using
git-send-email(1) with Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> CCed. Please also
CC virtio-fs@redhat.com and we'll review it.
Thank you very much for the invite and the detailed instructions!
I 'd be very glad to do this and will go ahead upon first chance.

Fotis
Stefan

* Re: [Virtio-fs] Architecture diagram license
@ 2020-10-28 10:53 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-10-28 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fotis Xenakis; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

@ 2020-10-26 23:31 Fotis Xenakis
From: Fotis Xenakis @ 2020-10-26 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

Okay, in that case this is my written confirmation that you may use the
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ license on the
architecture.svg file.
Thank you!
[...]

By the way, I 'd like to congratulate and thank everyone involved in the project for your amazing work, both in terms of concept, implementation and landing it upstream in the relevant projects. Personally, I find virtio-fs fills a much-needed gap and is an elegant, versatile solution at that too. In addition, it fits the unikernel use-cases very nicely: very roughly, what one could do with e.g. Docker and a bind mount can now be done with OSv and virtio-fs, usability-wise.
Finally, the virtiofsd Rust effort is very exciting: it's really nice seeing Rust used in real-world, big projects like this. Hope it delivers!

Fotis
Stefan

* Re: [Virtio-fs] Architecture diagram license
@ 2020-10-26 13:49 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-10-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fotis Xenakis; +Cc: virtio-fs-list

@ 2020-10-26  9:20 Fotis Xenakis