* Performance issue when running DPDK on Fedora
@ 2015-09-29 15:50 Yan Fridland
From: Yan Fridland @ 2015-09-29 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas

I am running a simple dpdk application on 2 VMs running on 2 different hosts. Each VM has a single port bound to a DPDK's ixgbevf  module and the ports are connected to allow a traffic transaction. Both VMs are running on KVM hypervisor on Fedora. The test is quite simple, one of the VMs generates a 1500 byte packets and sends them to another VM that simply returns them back with no processing at all. For each packet I am measuring a roundtrip time for a latency analysis.

According to the results I see exactly the same pattern in all the tests: 99% of the packets have a roundtrip time around 55usec when there are always several packets that have a round trip over a 1msec that is totally unacceptable in my application.

Can you please advise what should be done on a DPDK / KVM / Linux basis in order to improve this result.

Thanks
Yan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2015-09-29 15:50 UTC | newest]